Has anyone's lifestyle generally changed since you started the weight loss effort?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Have your cravings tamed?

yes, my go-to foods have completely changed, also my habits in terms of batch cooking and logging it is now a natural way of eating

Do you tend to park further and take the stairs out of habit?

Habit nope, it's conscious decision making and I'm always aware when I do take the stairs how many steps my fitbit is logging and I like that

Are your cheat days remarkably still healthier than how you used to eat on a daily basis?

I don't do cheat days, I don't like the symbolism, I eat everything and make it fit in my overall calories, if I go massively over I log and move on but I'm not cheating my lifestyle I'm just living and appreciating I will have to account for it in other calorie choices, increased activity or eventual scale weight

I'm just curious, I've heard the "it takes 21 days to develop a habit" but I never really noticed until recently that I generally eat less and eat healthier. Also I'm super inclined to do the physical labor just to burn some extra calories. Need me to move that prehistoric television? Need me to bench press my son to sleep? I'm on it. /flex

I think 21 days is a made up media title but habits do change as do food tastes and activity levels
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Nobody's life has ever changed.

Just you.

You're the only one ...

Dude! You're back :smile:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Just about everything has changed. They certainly weren't all planned changes! The only intentional parts were eating healthy and adding exercise, but just about everything is new and different. Huge changes, mostly positive ones.

I never really understood what people were talking about, exactly, when they said that those who made "lifestyle changes" were more successful, but I do now. For what it's worth, I think the lifestyle changes are born out of the desire to be healthy and cannot be used or forced in an effort to be successful. I hope that makes sense.

I also don't think that one has to make lifestyle changes in order to be successful. Simply eating less will help one lose weight and I'm well aware that MANY people are successful doing that.

I think it takes a lot longer than 21 days to really cement new and different habits. I suppose it depends on the habit, though. This whole Diet Flip thing took a year or two before I really got it totally under control.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The main difference to before and now is that I'm much more mindful of myself and my needs. I don't just mean nutritional needs, but I'm actually starting to take care of myself; doing my rehabilitation (which means I go to the gym and lift, and since it's for a reason other than "losing weight" I am much more likely to do it), eating food I enjoy (instead of trying to cut it completely out, I work it into my plan; and if I'm unsuccessful in working it into my plan and stay within my calorie goal, I can accept it and move forward without derailing) and overall just working on changing my mental state (anxiety, panic attacks; not entirely conducive to helping one stay on track).

I still eat the same foods, I'm not much more active (just the rehab really, and that's actually less than I used to do before I got professional help on what to do for my back) but I'm mindful and I approach it differently. There might be other changes that I don't really think about (I might take the stairs more now, but then I often took the stairs before too), and I actually know what I'm going to eat any given day because I prepare in advance.

As for it taking 21 days; I think it actually takes longer and a lot of trial and error before you find something that works for you. How long (and how many errors) depends on the person and the habit.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I feel better and can move around more easily so I think I am a bit more active than before. I exercise more.
    I think more about my food choices.
    I probably spend less time reading or at the computer.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Have your cravings tamed?

Do you tend to park further and take the stairs out of habit?

Are your cheat days remarkably still healthier than how you used to eat on a daily basis?

I'm just curious, I've heard the "it takes 21 days to develop a habit" but I never really noticed until recently that I generally eat less and eat healthier. Also I'm super inclined to do the physical labor just to burn some extra calories. Need me to move that prehistoric television? Need me to bench press my son to sleep? I'm on it. /flex

I agree 100%! Love the spirit of your post!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    I was active before ... I am somewhat more active because I've got more energy and much less of me to drag around.

I don't do cheat days. Before I would eat well all week, lose a bit of weight, and then eat a lot on weekends and gain all of it (and sometimes more) back again. Cheat days got me here.

That said, if I want something like, say, pizza ... I exercise for it. Tracking/logging etc has made me more aware.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Transformed. Exercise is now a habit. We eat out less, and I join fun run events. My confidence has soared. I crave the same foods but I eat less of them.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I find myself weighing a lot more food than I used to.
  • nitaleotta
    nitaleotta Posts: 24 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My excess calories came primarily from binge snacking and "gotta have ___ NOW" moments. So learning to deal with cravings is the primary factor in my weight loss success/maintenance.

1. When I have an intense craving I usually keep putting it off and it goes away after a while. Sometimes it persists for days but the act of not giving the emotion priority in my life gives me power and control. Eventually I may have that cheeseburger, pizza, BBQ, etc. but then I'm indulging from an emotionally balanced place, not in the midst of some binge frenzy.

2. I've gotten good at imagining the negative results of indulging a craving - like having that fast food breakfast when I wanted it: feeling bloated and crappy from low energy levels, that disappointing feeling knowing I've wasted most of my day's calories on low quality food. The results are almost never worth the 20 minute foodgasm.

3. Evaluating what it is I REALLY want when I get a craving to binge eat. Sometimes a food craving just is what it is, but other times when you find yourself wanting to eat for pure recreation or to mindlessly pass the time there's an underlying emotional need or life stressor that needs to be called out. Food won't really ease job stress, relationship issues, or feelings of loneliness or hopelessness. It's the harder way to truly face these things but it's the healthier way in the long run.

• Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    In six weeks my house is cleaner and I rarely have to push items from today to tomorrow on my to-do list.

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I believe the 21 day habit is linked to simpler things like for instance: you start a new job; it will take about 3 weeks for the new drive to become sort of autopilot. The same can't quite be applied to larger changes. But if you pick one small aspect of your lifestyle change perhaps it could apply
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    nitaleotta wrote: »
    My excess calories came primarily from binge snacking and "gotta have ___ NOW" moments. So learning to deal with cravings is the primary factor in my weight loss success/maintenance.

1. When I have an intense craving I usually keep putting it off and it goes away after a while. Sometimes it persists for days but the act of not giving the emotion priority in my life gives me power and control. Eventually I may have that cheeseburger, pizza, BBQ, etc. but then I'm indulging from an emotionally balanced place, not in the midst of some binge frenzy.

2. I've gotten good at imagining the negative results of indulging a craving - like having that fast food breakfast when I wanted it: feeling bloated and crappy from low energy levels, that disappointing feeling knowing I've wasted most of my day's calories on low quality food. The results are almost never worth the 20 minute foodgasm.

3. Evaluating what it is I REALLY want when I get a craving to binge eat. Sometimes a food craving just is what it is, but other times when you find yourself wanting to eat for pure recreation or to mindlessly pass the time there's an underlying emotional need or life stressor that needs to be called out. Food won't really ease job stress, relationship issues, or feelings of loneliness or hopelessness. It's the harder way to truly face these things but it's the healthier way in the long run.

+1
  • Kitrinaa
    Kitrinaa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    - I prepare food myself now, i use to order take out all the time
    - I see exercise as a postive thing now
    - I go to the produce aisle always, i used to never even go near the produce aisle
    - My desserts are usually fruits, I never ate fruits before weight loss. I always thought they were nasty and tasteless. Now I think their the most sweetest things in the world
    - I always look at the nutrition facts for everything
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am a lot more active now and more conscience of what I am putting into my body. If I want to eat pizza or a burger and fries, I work for it and make it work into my calorie goal.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My lifestyle has changed a lot. I used to sit around a lot, used to eat large portions of calorie dense foods multiple times a day, used to complain a lot about being fat, yet did nothing about it. I used to shovel food in my mouth when I was stressed, bored, happy, sad, angry...
    I'm down 85lbs since January. Now I exercise 5-6 days a week. I'm training for my first half marathon. When I'm stressed, angry, sad, etc I exercise and it actually makes me feel better. I take the stairs, I park further away, I go for walks when I can, rather than sit around.
    I still have times where I overeat, sometimes by a lot. The difference is that I just shrug it off and move on right away, whereas in the past I would have turned one bad meal into a bad weekend, then a bad week.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Cravings changed...yes.

Exercise with regular goals...something like 4,000 calories weekly.

Habits form in approximately 66 days...there is a study out there. Duhigg's book on Habits is a good read.

I prep 6-10 meals each Sunday. Before I'd just grab what was availablle.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My lifestyle hasn't changed, just my cravings for certain foods, appetite, and energy level has changed.

I still coach, read in spare time, eat with the family... Nothing has really changed but what I eat at meals. I think about food less since I don't get cravings anymore...

Umm, I guess I no longer order a pop at the movie theatre, I just bring in coffee or water. That's about it.

35 lbs down without huge changes to my life, just my dinner plate.
  • rtracy7
    rtracy7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well I find it easier to refuse junk food my friends/family offer (I accept if it's something I actually want rather than always taking it to be polite) & certainly don't crave it like I used to. Fresh "real" food makes me feel better so I rarely have a whole cheat day anymore - maybe the occasional cheat meal/snack.

I choose to park my car at the opposite end of the big shopping centre so I can push my trolley (with the toddler in it) while wearing the bubba on my back, to the other side where the shops I actually want are. That's partially because I just like that carpark better though. The extra exercise is a bonus!

Those exercise endorphins get pretty addictive too and as my fitness level is building back up to what it used to be before 2 pregnancies, I find myself really craving that physical activity.