why do some ppl drop weight so easy?

Options
I have been working towards my goal of being healthy and fit and changing my lifestyle for a consistant 2.5 years. Before that, I dont think I understood what I was doing. Starting at 173lbs and now at 143lbs I am still not happy with my body. I have a ways to go, I want my body percentage to be lower.
I realize that everyBODY is different, but man, today I am frustrated. My co-worker today proceeds to tell me she has lost 35lbs in 4 months and is in her skinny jeans! She is older than me, but she now weighs the same as me and is my same height. I know she lost it from cutting out fast food and she has a second job that keeps her active. But why?! Why does it only take her 4 months, and it takes my 2-3 years! I most likely have more muscle than her and I know it's not all about the pounds. But I am feeling so discouraged!

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there is a good answer for that question.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've always figured that people exactly like her (heavy fast food and soda consumption) have bodies that just simply wanted out of their eating style. Their bodies go, "WHOA, no more fries?! Finally!!" resulting in drastic weightloss. One of my friends is the same way, while I'm not really moving anywhere on the scale. :/
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Metabolism! Everyone's is different.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's SO frustrating!! I feel you!
    I just keep telling myself that, yes, every body is different AND it's one thing to lose weight, but quite another to lose body fat! Chances are, you are losing a better fat to muscle ratio than someone like her. Aside from that, nothing will improve your body composition better than strength training with heavy weights; so, make sure you that your exercise routine incorporates a strength training regime!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I would say metabolism. Some people just naturally burn fat faster then others. Me and my husband are the perfect example. He can eat whatever he wants and as much of it and seems never to gain ANY weight, but me, if I ate 1/2 of he did I would gain pounds fast! I am so jealous of him!!

Don't loose heart, it sounds like you are doing GREAT!! I am just NOW starting to get serious about my weight loss and with my snail type metabolism, I've got a long road ahead of me...

If you'd like to burn fat faster maybe try increasing your cardio? Are you calorie counting? Best of luck to you!!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Maybe she just went hard core for 4 months and you are more casual at it.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Whenever I lose a significant amount of weight its always done in a relatively short period of time--I.E. months, not years. Its because of my all or nothing mentality--I can't just cut back a little. I have to either cut WAAAYYYY back and severely restrict myself every single day compared to my previous life--or else just keep at things the way I was (eat whatever I want). I'm like that with everything in life--call it an addictive personality I guess? I have to either be addicted to eating or starving. I think thats prob what the difference is in some people.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's time to look outside of the scale and give yourself a pat on the back. If you've been doing cardio, after 2-3 years you can probably last MUCH longer than you could in the beginning. You can lift heavier weights. You don't run out of breath after running up the stairs... etc.

Hang in there. If you feel stuck (and not just slow), try increasing or decreasing your daily net calories. MFP gave me a daily net of 1200, but I've been keeping it at around 1000 and been doing just fine, whereas some people see significant improvement after increasing their daily net.

And always remember, no matter how long it takes, it's always worth it. :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • ifrolic2
    ifrolic2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Its good to get some encouragement! I know I probably need to increase my weight lifting. I have been afraid to, I dont want to get a bulky.
  • scarnall2
    scarnall2 Posts: 18
    Options
    Don't let your friend bring you down. Sounds like since she is working a second job, she doesn't have time to eat. I read once that even super skinny people aren't happy witht their bodies. So when do we draw the line and start being happy with the way we look? Keep on working out, keep on eating right. The payoff is that you will have your health when you are 80! It's true what they say, if you don't have your health, you have nothing. Find your eye of the tiger! Don't be jealous, be motivated! Sounds like you already have bragging rights!
  • sreece13
    sreece13 Posts: 12
    Options
    I say that the upside to you losing the weight more slowly is that you are making positive lifestyle changes that you can obviously stick with and her losing the weight so fast puts her at risk for gaining back the weight as quickly as she lost it! Don't give up! YOU have the right idea. Patience is a virtue right??!!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    35 lbs is 4 months means she averaged 2 lbs a week. This is at the upper end of recommended weightloss amounts. A mojority of her loss is probably lean muscle mass and water weight.

Wait a year and see who had maintained their weight, and who has gained most of it back. :wink:

You're on the right track. Slow and steady will always beat out fast and furious.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Its good to get some encouragement! I know I probably need to increase my weight lifting. I have been afraid to, I dont want to get a bulky.
    Building up bulk is actually very very difficult for us women, as it requires a good amount of testosterone! Don't worry about it and give it a try. If you do turn out to be an exception and start putting on some bulk, you can always cut back. It WILL reduce the bulk.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options

Hit the weights... Remember, low weight + high reps = strength and toning; high weight + low reps = mass
  • scarnall2
    scarnall2 Posts: 18
    Options
    Woman don't get bulky! You would have to lift some heavy weight to bulk up. Besides, muscles look great on gals! Here's a good article! Hit those weights and you are guaranteed to burn more calories.

http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/ss/strengthmyths_5.htm
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I would be so frustrated too!. She must have one of those naturally skinny bodies that went out of shape because of all the crap she had been eating such as the fast food. Some people just have faster metabolisms. I'm like you, just trudging along. Mine is coming off but SLOWLY. I have been doing this since March and have only lost 15 pounds. Keep drinking tons of water. It really seems to help. Peace and Love to you :flowerforyou:
  • neuroticlin89
    neuroticlin89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Metabolism as someone mentioned above is definitely part of it. Also, some people are better at going cold turkey then others. For some of us it's a long term struggle, where we find it difficult to stick to eating healthy consistently and so it takes us much longer. Add a slow metabolism to a weak will and the struggle increases. I'm not trying to suggest that you have a weak will or anything. I guess I'm just saying that the time and effort it takes to lose weight varies for everyone. It's not just a physical struggle but a mental one as well. Your co-worker may have been able to stick to eating healthy entirely without any drawbacks and while it is frustrating that other people don't seem to have to struggle as much, it's important to remember that focusing and comparing yourself to others, even in terms of how long it takes other people to lose weight, is not going to help you. I always try to make myself feel better by thinking that the harder you struggle for something, each goal you achieve on the way will matter that much more and you'll get alot more out of it then what you had originally aimed for. I know it's not immediate comfort and I'm not sure it even makes much sense lol but that's the best I could come up with. Don't get discouraged. Keep going and goodluck! :)
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Goodness knows!!! I can relate, I seem to have the metabolism of a corpse!!! It's not fair!!! The two of us should hang in there and one day we'll get there xx
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I think you already gave the answer. She dieted and you changed to a healthy lifestyle. You lost fat and built lean muscle which gives you a much better chance of keeping it off.
  • ifrolic2
    ifrolic2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I get nervous about the bulking because a few years ago I worled with a trainer, and I am pretty sure he was training me for bodybuilding (but I trusted him) and I gained 10lbs, but my body fat stayed the same...so it was all muscle! (my thighs were giant) I know my eating habits weren't great then, but I know I gain muscle easy and I dont want to be 143lbs with a 18% bodyfat. I would look like a dude! Ha! So I will take the advice and start easing weight lifting back in!