Nutritionist suggests I don't exercise?!

Options
2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    looney9708 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    They believe that the calorie restriction I am on -roughly 1200 cals a day with low car high protein and moderate fat, and exercising at the intensity I'm working out on causes fat gain. It sounds so backward but am living it when it comes to weekly workouts and then my weigh in. So they want me briskly walking but not breaking into a full sweat. See if backing off workouts will mean more fat loss this week

If you are eating 1200 calories (as in you weigh everything and log accurately) you are not gaining fat. Your exercise is not making you gain fat. Your nutritionist is full of crap and has no idea how the body works. If you pay them stop immediately because they are ripping you off. If anything they may have set your calories too low and that much exercise is causing you to burn through lean mass. That's their fault for not making sure you fuel your body appropriately.
    This. Glycogen has to come from somewhere and if your nutrition isn't supporting it and you're on low carb, it's not uncommon to start catabolizing some lean muscle. It's easier for to that than lipolysis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Thank you. This makes sense now. I appreciate the factual information and not making me feel like an idiot like so many people. I obviously don't fully understand and am trying to get a grasp on proper nutrition and exercise. If I knew it then I wouldn't need them or mfp. So many times people are just rude. Thanks again. I will research more.

My post wasn't intended to be rude. The blame is squarely on your nutritionist's shoulders. You're smart enough to seek help here. If you would like help setting up goals that are more appropriate as you move on without the nutritionist I would be glad to help you for free if you send a private message. I won't try to sell you anything, I just really want to help people get on the right track.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    They believe that the calorie restriction I am on -roughly 1200 cals a day with low car high protein and moderate fat, and exercising at the intensity I'm working out on causes fat gain. It sounds so backward but am living it when it comes to weekly workouts and then my weigh in. So they want me briskly walking but not breaking into a full sweat. See if backing off workouts will mean more fat loss this week

If you are eating 1200 calories (as in you weigh everything and log accurately) you are not gaining fat. Your exercise is not making you gain fat. Your nutritionist is full of crap and has no idea how the body works. If you pay them stop immediately because they are ripping you off. If anything they may have set your calories too low and that much exercise is causing you to burn through lean mass. That's their fault for not making sure you fuel your body appropriately.
    This. Glycogen has to come from somewhere and if your nutrition isn't supporting it and you're on low carb, it's not uncommon to start catabolizing some lean muscle. It's easier for to that than lipolysis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Thank you. This makes sense now. I appreciate the factual information and not making me feel like an idiot like so many people. I obviously don't fully understand and am trying to get a grasp on proper nutrition and exercise. If I knew it then I wouldn't need them or mfp. So many times people are just rude. Thanks again. I will research more.

My post wasn't intended to be rude. The blame is squarely on your nutritionist's shoulders. You're smart enough to seek help here. If you would like help setting up goals that are more appropriate as you move on without the nutritionist I would be glad to help you for free if you send a private message. I won't try to sell you anything, I just really want to help people get on the right track.

Your post wasn't rude. Obviously I can't type today. I was referring to others who, in the past, come up with rude responses. Yours was very informative. I may pm you if this week doesn't work
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't trust anything that happens this week following 'their' plan. Anything you lose will be water weight. Period.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Based on how much you're eating and exercising I'd really recommend looking at a group on here called Eat more to weigh less. Makes a lot of sense
  • looney9708
    Options
    ARC1603 wrote: »
    Based on how much you're eating and exercising I'd really recommend looking at a group on here called Eat more to weigh less. Makes a lot of sense

Thanks!
  • bearondiet
    bearondiet Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to keep up workouts with my diet. I couldn't keep them up anymore; it was getting too hard. So, I quit my exercises & focused with my meal plans. It worked. I weigh less now. I plan to get back to exercises after I finish losing my fat. But I eat less than most of you.
  • abacus93jp
    abacus93jp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. Maybe she is trying to get you to loose some muscle so you can loose the lbs. I, personally wouldn't worry about the lbs and more about my size. Muscle makes you leaner than fat!
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a specified program with a nutritionist and lost the first 19 lbs. but I've been stalled the last few weeks-about 5 at this point. I've always done crossfit and hiit and love my workouts. It had been working to do my exercise while doing a low carb calorie restricted diet and still losing fat. But since I've been stalled she suggests hanging low on the high Intestity workouts and see if we can't get my body to respond. Im terrified the opposite will happen. Does laying low on workouts make sense to anyone else? Help me mentally get through this so I can get the last 10 lbs off!

I hope this is just a way of speaking.
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I reduce exercise when I am first starting, just because it makes me hungry! ☺️ But once I am well into my program and have my head in the game, I add it back in.
  • looney9708
    Options
    I've been doing a specified program with a nutritionist and lost the first 19 lbs. but I've been stalled the last few weeks-about 5 at this point. I've always done crossfit and hiit and love my workouts. It had been working to do my exercise while doing a low carb calorie restricted diet and still losing fat. But since I've been stalled she suggests hanging low on the high Intestity workouts and see if we can't get my body to respond. Im terrified the opposite will happen. Does laying low on workouts make sense to anyone else? Help me mentally get through this so I can get the last 10 lbs off!

No, I'm terrified without exercise I'll gain. Isn't it cico? But so far I have to say it seems my plateau is finally broken and I'm down about 4 lbs. the whoosh effect since taking a step back from hitting the gym so hard.

• looney9708
    Options
    abacus93jp wrote: »
    Muscle weighs more than fat. Maybe she is trying to get you to loose some muscle so you can loose the lbs. I, personally wouldn't worry about the lbs and more about my size. Muscle makes you leaner than fat!

No I was losing muscle and my fat had stayed the same. She wants my body to sustain the muscle and lose the fat. I've done some research on it and I see she is trying to keep glycogen levels up. And I was doing low carb and calorie and increasing exercise which my body stopped responding. So far down almost 4 lbs since listening to her. I'll be back in gym next week.

So backward from what I've ever heard but inches do melt off when I listen to her
  • looney9708
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust anything that happens this week following 'their' plan. Anything you lose will be water weight. Period.

Why do you think it would all be water? Wouldn't it be water the beginning of a diet and I've been diligent for 3 months
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »

Why do you think it would all be water? Wouldn't it be water the beginning of a diet and I've been diligent for 3 months

It's mostly all water as to lose 4lbs of fat in a week you would have to be eating 2,000 calories per day less than your maintenance calories (TDEE). Given you have held your baseline diet the same I presume in this time but have less of a deficit due to the reduced levels of exercise your deficit should be smaller over all not greater.

It's quite simple. Exercise, particularly high intensity exercise, prompts fluid retention. You stopped the higher intensity exercise causing your body to jettison the fluid which will make up most if not all your current loss.

You haven't lost 4lbs of fat or anywhere near it.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    The only possible way those 4 pounds were fat, is if she lost the 4 pounds in the previous few weeks, but was retaining water which hid the weight loss. This week, whoosh went the 4 pounds of water she was retaining. But the actual fat pounds were lost in the previous week(s).

Which is why my earlier comment said anything lost this week would be water. You cannot physically lose 4 pounds of fat (14,000 calorie deficit) from a moderate diet and no exercise.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

No, I'm terrified without exercise I'll gain. Isn't it cico? But so far I have to say it seems my plateau is finally broken and I'm down about 4 lbs. the whoosh effect since taking a step back from hitting the gym so hard.

It is CICO, but there's more than one way to do it. Some people limit calorie intake, some just add more activity to up calorie burn, most tend to do a combination of both. I would suggest looking at a few other calorie calculators online and finding the average they say you should do without counting exercise. Put that in, and add exercise calories burned as you do them. MFP will adjust for you what your calorie goal is based on that (though, if you count on MFP to calculate your calories burned, you'll need to eat back only about half....MFP is notorius for overestimating!). It's perfectly ok to second guess your nutrtionist (and us!) and develop your own plan. It may take a while, but doing it yourself will also help you learn to adjust your eating habits for life, not just while you're losing weight. Learning how to limit your calories yourself will help you keep it off, and doing it yourself means you can add foods you enjoy in limited amounts, making that diet much more sustainable.
  • annahandlinis
    annahandlinis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I get this when I first lost weight from 15st 12lbs to 9stone 4lbs before I had my daughter I did it mostly by watching what I ate.

My weight went up again after having my daughter to 14st 4lbs and I'm not 11st 8. This time I have been doing exercise as well as watching my calories and tbh I have fund it tougher and slower. I still have 2st to loose and I'm not sure if I will give the high impact a miss till I loose a bit more and just go for walks etc and see if it comes off quicker.

Let me know how you get on x
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Just eat a workout snack like athletes do as far as the glycogen is concerned, imho. I do think it's bad to workout so hard on so few calories, but I'd fuel the workouts instead of cutting them. You don't need to be eating so low in the first place, most likely. That does complicate things.

Just to compare, try a TDEE calculator like this one to see what is recommended:
    scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You get to eat more, too, which is usually considered a win :grin: I'd take a day or two of maintenance calories (at a minimum) and continue to do the workouts that you enjoy if I were you next time this happens. Or just find a better middle ground in the first place, which is my real suggestion. Good luck!
  • looney9708
    Options
    Just eat a workout snack like athletes do as far as the glycogen is concerned, imho. I do think it's bad to workout so hard on so few calories, but I'd fuel the workouts instead of cutting them. You don't need to be eating so low in the first place, most likely. That does complicate things.

Just to compare, try a TDEE calculator like this one to see what is recommended:
    scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You get to eat more, too, which is usually considered a win :grin: I'd take a day or two of maintenance calories (at a minimum) and continue to do the workouts that you enjoy if I were you next time this happens. Or just find a better middle ground in the first place, which is my real suggestion. Good luck!

I'm back at exercising this week. Last week did help with such low cals and cutting the intense exercise. But I am going crazy. I talked to my nutritionist and we are taking me out of fat loss, such low cals and low exercise.

I'm eating at maintenance now and incorporating my hiit and crossfit exercises back. Thanks again for such great advice without judgement. I appreciate it.