6 years after gastric bypass and have gained 20 lbs

Options
So 6 years ago I had the gastric bypass surgery. Over the last three years...at least I think....I have gained 20 back. I feel like now I'm obsessive compulsive about it. I don't know what to exactly do...what do I eat? what do I not eat? What kinds of exercise do I do? I was not successful before the surgery so I think I have it in my head that I can't get the weight back off. I don't know if I should just follow the calories and carbs etc that the site tells me to stay under or do I do a low carb diet? I need to somehow find some kind of motivation. I had joined this site not long ago...did well at tracking etc..but then got away from it. Today I decided to come back. I think that part of my problem is that I don't eat enough...and I eat the wrong things. So any encouragement, or advise would be appreciated...even from those who have had similar experiences w/the gastric bypass and gaining some weight back after. Thanks! Wish everyone the BEST!

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I'm not au fait with bariatric surgeries but I would be careful going low carb (or any other plan that eliminates or severely restricts any food groups) etc without consulting a Dr who is knowledgeable on the procedure you have had. I'm not anti low carb but there is, I believe, already an absorption side effect with most bariatric surgeries.

Personally I would change nothing for a week but log what you are eating so you know exactly how much (calorie wise) that you are eating...If you are already below 1200 calories then you really would need to see a professional for proper assessment.

Once you've logged accurately and honestly (not saying you wouldn't) for a week or 2 then post again with your stats, (height, weight to lose, bmi or weight) and the calories that you are on (while still gaining) We would be in a much better position to give proper advice based on what you are eating etc
  • Tracie7974
    Options
    I am considering seeing a nutritionist...or emailing my surgeon to see what he recommends. Thanks for the input. =)