How did you get your job?

Options
iRun4wine
iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
Love hearing people's stories about how they landed their current job: promotion, neighbor is the boss, work for family, just applied to an ad on the internet, knew someone who knew someone who knew someone, etc.... :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My aunt's the CFO. I interviewed with someone else and everything but that's honestly probably why I got it...I love my job though!
  • LeeLeeTunk
    LeeLeeTunk Posts: 84
    Options
    My Boyfriend worked at the place I applied...and they hired me! Been there 8years now! :)
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm a career counselor so I find this topic fascinating! I got my current position by keeping my eye on the website for appropriate openings. It took 7 YEARS, but finally, the right thing opened up at just the right time.
  • Flwrsme
    Flwrsme Posts: 39
    Options
    I came into my job 7 years ago at a temporary entry level position. This was right after I divorced my ex husband and was a stay at home mom. I started at the bottom...... I now have my own office and am a manager. =)
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i knew someone at the place i work at now :) i also interviewed, and i had experience...they offered me the job two days later!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Been at my current job for ten years now. They found my resume at an IT specific job site and emailed me for an interview. What I found funny was the resume was over a year old because I'd already found a job, but was unhappy with it. Sent them an updated resume, had that interview, and have been happy here since.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    how timely!
    I just got it a few days ago...thanks to my sister :)

We are both teachers, and I have a credential, while she teaches at the college level so she doesn't need one. When she finds job listings that require a credential, she forwards them to me. I took a glance at it, mistook the acronym (IEJCC) and dismissed it. I deciphered that as Inland Empire Juvenile Correctional Center. I wasn't interested in teaching juvy kids, TYVM. The next day, she called and asked me if I had applied, and I told her no, and why. She pointed out that a paycheck of any kind is nice to have while you look for something else...go for it. Turns out I was wrong about the meaning of IEJCC. It stands for Inland Empire Job Corps Center. There are no juvenile delinquents at all LOL. I will be teaching the GED program...an easy job IMHO compared to my resume. It's VERY sweet!!!

So I owe her big time!!
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    I own my own business, Branch of Success, so I hired myself and I do business consulting. My boss is nice for the most part. :laugh:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I've been taking photography since my Freshman year of high school, and then into college. I was looking for a wedding photographer for my wedding, and was getting really upset that every photographer I found that was any good was really expensive...or they only showed up for an hour...or they didn't give you the printing rights. It was ticking me off. How was someone on a budget supposed to hire a photographer? I mean my WHOLE wedding budget was UNDER $5000 (sorry, but I'd rather buy a house than pay $50,000 for 1 day)....and the lowest price I could seem to get for photography was about $1000, and that was only for like 4 hours of pictures, and then I still had to buy the prints from them. :grumble:

After about 3 months of looking, I got pissed, and said..."you know what, I do photography, I have what it takes"...and started my own wedding photography business for affordable wedding photography. (Though after actually working in...I found out a little more why it's so expensive....haha....but I still try to keep my prices reasonable.)

Right now I offer 12 hrs photography, DVD w/ print release (so you can print your pictures whenever you want), Thank you cards & and Album for $1000. Or just 12 hrs photography & DVD for $650 ... I think I'm still staying with my original goal. I think O.o

Wow...my story is long. :laugh:
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Being incredible awesome at being tossed to the ground and yet climbing back on...

...I train horses. People usually send me their "problem horses" haha

[Oh, I am also a CNA but I don't work as one, going to get my LVN then RN]
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I am a college student and my advisor sent an e-mail with a job listing. I decided to apply for the heck of it. Over a month later I got a call, I was very confused when she called becasue it was so long ago! Two interviews later I have a great job with my own office! They are super flexable with my school schedule and have offered me a full time position when I graduate.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    My previous employer passed me off to this job since it was better :laugh: It's also quite possible he was tired of me :ohwell:

What happened is I was a student assistant for a professor and another professor had a grad assistantship and my professor told me to apply for it.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I am a Sales Exec-friend got me the job
    I teach-I am friends with the department head and I took some classes as the college
    I work part time in a clothing store-just for side cash and the clothing discount for work

Plan on becoming a full time college teacher in the evenings and Project Management in the E-commerce field.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    well... my husband planted a seed in my belly and voila! 9 months later I was a stay at home mom. :laugh:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Well first I needed knee pads............:laugh:
  • SimplyFreckled
    SimplyFreckled Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Saw the ad
    applied
    got a phone interview
    got a call back
    got a personal interview
    Took some skills testing
    got an offer
    started to work..

a year on friday
  • ReadySara
    ReadySara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My family got me a job with the Federal, but mostly my sister because were in the same title and work with each other. Working with the Federal, if you have relatives you get more chances on getting the job, it even ask you when you apply. Funny how most people got there job by someone they knew/know.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I earned my job in the kitchen and the bedroom and lots of other places................housewife.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i was a supervisor in the operation center of a bank, we had gotten bought out and were gonna close in a couple months, so every job i looked for was in management, i went to railroad website applied for every job, got turned down for supervisor (i'm so glad now) but got called in for electrician (which i had no prior experience in), once there they were like since you dont have any experience atll offer our entry level laborer job, after two years i got promoted to electrician where i'm currently at
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I went to school for a year, from tuesday-saturday 830 to 5......then the hairdresser i went to knew my mom(who used to be a hairdresser) and i went to her since i was 17, but she worked at a new salon and the only reason why i got accepted in by the owner was because of her high reccommendation of me. Then our salon merged with the salon my Mom used to work at, and this is now where I'm at.