Help with recipe builder, how the heck do I...

Options
So Hubby is making his famous pot roast in the crock pot for dinner tonight. I know what is going into it but how do I build it on the recipe builder so I know how many servings there are and how many calories in a serving? Can I weigh it all after it's cooked? I have no idea how many potatoes, carrots, etc. is going in there...help!!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything raw before putting it in

Log everything in the recipe builder one by one

Cook dish

Weigh entire cooked dish

Divide by the number of 100g portions that equals a serving

When you come to eat it log it as the number of 100g servings you took eg 350g =3.5 servings
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Cook dish

Weigh entire cooked dish

When you come to eat it log it as the number of 100g servings you took eg 350g =3.5 servings

This.

Also, if you create the recipe in grams, you will always get a "1 gm" option for if you have a really strange portion such as 110 grams. I love the recipe builder.
  • Sued0nim
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Double post
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If possible, weigh the finished product. Sometimes I have to dump it into Tupperware. Other times, I put a whatchamacallit (the hot pads) on the scale and tare and put the baking dish on the scale - for this to work, you need to weigh the baking dish before cooking so you can subtract that weight. And if you have two of the same dish, weigh the one you're using - sometimes they're different! I have a list of all my stuff and what it weighs, but if I have two, I weigh the one I'm going to use. :)

Everyone else covered the rest. :)

Enjoy!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would probably log the meat as one recipe and log the potatoes/carrots separately to make it easier.

• bramble345
    bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    As has been said above. Except I just work out the volume of the full bit of the pan (easier if its round!) then divide by volume of my ladle to work out number of servings. Saves scraping hot food into another container to weigh.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Was it @JaneiR36 who I saw once suggest entering the serving as "1" for the whole meal, and then dividing it out as you serve the portions (0.5, 0.33)? That works for me. Lol or @Lounmoun above :)

(Also, use the Old Recipe Builder, much easier)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Oh also, is that recipe trademarked? Can you not just ask your husband how many carrots etc went in?
  • ckfox95
    ckfox95 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ok, that's a big help. Thanks everyone! I know how much of each ingredient went in. The only thing I didn't do was get to weigh everything before it was all cooked so that part will be more of a guesstimate. I do know the weight of the meat if that helps haha!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

Cook dish

Weigh entire cooked dish

How in any one's mind is this worthy of an abuse flag?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Cook dish

Weigh entire cooked dish

MFP
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    OP, I weigh each thing prior to it going in and guesstimate the number of servings there will be (this can be changed later if it turns out there are more or less).
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Cook dish

Weigh entire cooked dish

Thanks for that breakdown. Where do you get 100g= 1 serving? Is that average? My challenge is once I have a cooked recipe i'm not really sure how to break down the servings.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    mhaskins08 wrote: »

Cook dish

Weigh entire cooked dish

Thanks for that breakdown. Where do you get 100g= 1 serving? Is that average? My challenge is once I have a cooked recipe i'm not really sure how to break down the servings.

No I use that because I never know how much I am going to want to eat and I tend to batch cook so have leftovers

then if I go to take 500g I can log 5 servings so I know in my head 1 = 100g (and any other amount eg if I want 275g I'd put 2.75 servings in)

It's just convenience - some people log it as 1g but I find that's too small

But LOL that my original post got flagged as abuse - ridiculous things are ridiculous :bismile:
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options

Cook dish

Weigh entire cooked dish

No I use that because I never know how much I am going to want to eat and I tend to batch cook so have leftovers

then if I go to take 500g I can log 5 servings so I know in my head 1 = 100g (and any other amount eg if I want 275g I'd put 2.75 servings in)

But LOL that my original post got flagged as abuse - ridiculous things are ridiculous :bismile:

I thought your post was great. Certainly, it was an accident, right?

I wish that I could see the original ingredients from my recipes so that I can change them as needed. It would make things so much easier.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Cook dish

Weigh entire cooked dish

Probably they thought it was a Like button. Flagger - you can flag it again to make the flag go away.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    TracyeS4 wrote: »

Cook dish

Weigh entire cooked dish

I thought your post was great. Certainly, it was an accident, right?

I wish that I could see the original ingredients from my recipes so that I can change them as needed. It would make things so much easier.

In the app (iOS) it's really easy to edit ingredients ...I do it a lot
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options

Cook dish

Weigh entire cooked dish

This is what I do, except I go by ounces just because that's how my "Americanized" brain thinks about servings :)
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Cook dish

Weigh entire cooked dish

I use the entire weight of the cooked dish as the number of servings. That means the recipe knows the calories per gram of what I've cooked. Then whatever portion I weigh out for myself - i.e., I put 150 grams on my plate - is how many servings I enter in my diary. Makes it easy to just take whatever portion size works for me.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    ckfox95 wrote: »
    Ok, that's a big help. Thanks everyone! I know how much of each ingredient went in. The only thing I didn't do was get to weigh everything before it was all cooked so that part will be more of a guesstimate. I do know the weight of the meat if that helps haha!

I forget to weigh things all the time as I'm cooking, but I don't worry too much about vegetables, which aren't very calorie-intensive anyway. A good cup estimate will do. The weight of the meat is far more important.