Lose more weight with different foods

Options
Has anyone noticed they lose more weight when eating different foods with the same caloric intake? It seems when boneless skinless chicken breasts are a staple in my diet I lose more.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Nope, food type has nothing to do with weight loss. It's about calories in/calories out. If you notice food changes lead to weight loss it just means your calories are at a deficit.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No.

It's purely calorie based, not food based.
  • rongata
    rongata Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ahhh OK, that seems to be the general consensus but just wondering if any of you have had the chance to experiment and verify this?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you take most of your calories in protein and fewer carbs you will lose a lot of water and get the emotional feelz that you are losing more through glycogen being stripped from your body

But no you don't lose more fat
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    That's not how it works. Fluid weight may be affected, temporarily, but that's it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,621 Member
    Options
    Weight possibly, but that weight may be more due to water rather than actual fat loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rongata
    Options
    Does it affect body composition?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you don't get enough protein, it could.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    rongata wrote: »

Does what affect body composition? Do you mean water weight?
  • rongata
    Options
    The
    rabbitjb wrote: »

The different foods you eat
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    For me, I think it's because if you are eating more simple foods like a chicken breast and brocolli, your calorie count may be more accurate than a meal out or a portion of a recipe.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    The

In line with the type of exercise yes

But only in terms of reaching minimums in fat and protein and hitting micronutrients for nutritionally sound dieting

Not in terms of I've covered off my macros and micros should I eat ice cream or a carrot
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    The

Yes and no. The types of foods don't really matter at all, but the macro/micronutrient composition of the foods do. Obviously if you eat 2500 calories a day and get only 50 grams of protein your results are going to be quite different than if you eat 150 grams of protein. If calories and macros are relatively equal, then types of foods make very little difference.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Basically, it all comes down to CICO. Yes, say if you eat less carbs, you will lose more glycogen/water, but that is temporary.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    There are some studies on things like high fructose corn syrup and also with people with different hormonal biochemistry that show body composition changes depending on things like carbs (and many on the hormones alone). So body composition itself gets interesting and more complex than calories alone.

So it's possible that an individual would notice body composition differences depending on what they eat (at the same calories). That's not even including things like bloatedness related to different foods.

The biggest takeaways I got when I was researching (personal research) were:

-- PCOS really might have to do with belly fat (hormonal and IR problem).
    -- That women past menopause may really start gaining in their middles (hormonal differences after menopause), and that
    -- HFCS and, to a lesser extent carbs, may really go to the belly more, depending on other factors about the population they studied. Insulin resistance is a biggie for the carbs, but the HFCS trend was shown in normal animals interestingly enough

And if you were used to not having enough protein to support lean mass, then eating more protein would show a body composition difference alone, I'd expect. Protein is pretty special for muscles :)

• MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I do better on chicken and fish, but I assume it's because it's lower in calories for a larger amount than steak,for example.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Well, lean meat like chicken is quite filling for the number of calories, so it can help you manage a bigger calorie restriction without feeling as hungry.

As for weight loss, while it's not precisely true that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, it's pretty close, and any impact of individual foods is going to be extremely hard to discern amidst the myriad of confounding factors.