Cravings?

Options
So this had probably been asked a million and one times, but, what has everyone found that works when you have a craving for something you're not suppose to have? I know everyone's different, so I'd like to have multiple craving curves in my back pocket.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have a little, make it fit into your calories for the day. But you say your are craving something you are not supposed to have, is this by doctor's order? Always listen to your doctor first.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Several lines of defense: Get cooking. Eat well - enough calories, fat, protein, a varied diet, balanced meals, food I enjoy. No eating between meals, only water, coffee, tea - stay hydrated. Plan meals, bring and follow shopping list. Do not buy "not supposed to have" foods. Get enough exercise, mentally and physically, but don't overdo it. Get enough sleep, rest, and "me" time, too.
  • Moonbaby779
    Moonbaby779 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Several lines of defense: Get cooking. Eat well - enough calories, fat, protein, a varied diet, balanced meals, food I enjoy. No eating between meals, only water, coffee, tea - stay hydrated. Plan meals, bring and follow shopping list. Do not buy "not supposed to have" foods. Get enough exercise, mentally and physically, but don't overdo it. Get enough sleep, rest, and "me" time, too.

Thank you so much, this has put things in a better perspective for me. This gave me more motivation
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by 'not supposed to have'? Unless you're allergic to something or have health issues that restrict your diet, you don't have to stop eating anything.

Just have some in moderation.

For me, if I crave something, I'll see first if I can make a lower calorie version of it or something that has less calories that will help the craving. For example, I was craving sushi last week. I typically don't have it because it doesn't fill me up for the calories, but I had some smoked salmon and it totally got rid of my craving. Or sometimes if I crave apple pie, grilling a tortilla with some apple and cinnamon in it will help with the craving. Lots of dishes like Bolognese pasta or shepherd's pie or fish and chips I can make at home for less than 400 calories too.

If it's not a craving that I can 'cheat', but is under 200 calories, I'll make room for it in my day. There's no reason to deny yourself things you really want and most people can fit a 100 calorie treat in their day easily. If it's something that is higher calories though, I always find a way to make it fit. Sometimes it means eating 100 less calories all week, and sometimes I realize it's not worth it... but sometimes it is. I've had a craving for the Cheesecake Factory pumpkin pecan pie for a while and I will make room for it sometimes in the next couple weeks, just means making sure I stay on track the rest of the week and having a lower calorie breakfast and dinner (I'm maintaining though and zigzaging calories so I can get away with eating a bit more some days). And maybe I'll just split it with my mom.

Anyway, just to say that every time I restricted myself too much and started seeing some foods are not allowed, I ended up binging.
  • tonymase14
    tonymase14 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A little tip that has helped me on latenight sugar cravings; i put grapes in the freezer and at night will eat a hand full or so when i get cravings that way since they're frozen you can eat them slowly and they're high in sugar so you're icecream craving should go away after awhile
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The idea that I'm not supposed to have something makes me crave it more. If I allow myself to have a little bit over the week, the naughtiness factor diminishes and then I don't want it anymore. This thought process, along with eating within my doctor's recommended guidelines and exercise, has helped greatly. I find I usually have the issue of eating to my calorie goals.

The other thing I have done when I have had a craving for something I don't have in the house is to drink some water, watch tv, do something else. If I still want it, I get it next time I'm at the store. I've also been known to bargain with myself. If I want it, I have to make it (ie cake) tomorrow because it's usually too late to make something when the cravings strike. I rarely remember that craving after that.
  • Moonbaby779
    Moonbaby779 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone who has commented so far, I'm new to this, so I'm learning from what everyone shares. It means a lot, and helps keeps me focused.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    When I start craving, I remember that sometimes I'm actually just thirsty. I love hot black tea, so I'll make a cup of a yummy flavor - like Wild Blueberry or Cinnamon Plum or Vanilla Almond. Gives me a "dessert" flavor and fills me up. I like to buy Republic of Tea brand - so smooth and delicious!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Have a little, make it fit into your calories for the day. But you say your are craving something you are not supposed to have, is this by doctor's order? Always listen to your doctor first.

This^

Make room for the "something" you are craving. Unless a Dr. has told you no.

I eat chocolate most days. Not a whole Snicker's bar, but something. I will have to MANAGE cravings eventually. Cravings won't magically disappear when I become a size 8.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    When I start craving, I remember that sometimes I'm actually just thirsty. I love hot black tea, so I'll make a cup of a yummy flavor - like Wild Blueberry or Cinnamon Plum or Vanilla Almond. Gives me a "dessert" flavor and fills me up. I like to buy Republic of Tea brand - so smooth and delicious!
    I love Republic of Tea -- Vanilla Almond with a packet of stevia is my afternoon sweet treat at work. :)