What do you reply...

Options
bloody88
bloody88 Posts: 120 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
..to people that ask you how you lost weight?
When I tell them by calorie counting/logging, they roll their eyes and say that it's insane and that it's not normal to weight every single ingredient.
Then they continue to discredit the proccess with everyone around supporting them(9 out of 10times)..
It's frustrating to say the least!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do not answer those kinds of people. It is none of their freaking business, esp if they are going to be non- supportive.
  • ozgurvh
    ozgurvh Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yes, if people really need help , they must show some respect
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I say I've got an app that makes it easy to count calories.

The "worst" reply I've had is that someone said they didn't have the patience to do that.

They really hadn't thought it through. :smiley:
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Ask them how their weight loss efforts are going, then tell them you're looking forward to your chocolate cake that night.
  • BackupFridge
    BackupFridge Posts: 105 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If I got the reply you did -> The same thing I ask anyone who rolls their eyes at science: Where am I/what part of the approach is inaccurate?

If they ask and sincerely want to know, I tell them to pick out an hour or two of their choice and I'd go over it with them. Just about no one follows up.

Don't really get asked a lot, though, since I wasn't ever visibly overweight. Just those I see regularly enough to notice the minute changes.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I tell them diet and exercise. It's kind of hard to argue with me when I've lost 156 lbs. Although I think there are a few out there that don't believe I did it without surgery.

For the eye-rollers (there are still some, and the ones who "can't be bothered") I tell them they're right, it was actually magical pixie dust. The one harvested from the first morning dew drops of a 4-leaf clover found in only a far-flung corner of Ireland on the morning after a blue moon, mixed with the shavings of the horn of the rare purple unicorn, at the precise moment that a thousand babies laugh for the first time (in harmony). I have a secret stash of it. If the government ever finds out about my secret weight loss miracle dust I'm done for...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    bloody88 wrote: »

I say, "I eat fewer calories than I burn".

That's usually not satisfactory. There's usually a follow-up question like ...

"Does that mean you eat low carb?"
    "Do you eat low fat?"
    "Have you quit eating sugar?"
    "What foods have you cut out of your diet?"
    "Do you exercise a lot?"
    "What specifically do you eat? Could you write down a list of good foods for me?"
    "Could you tell me specifically what you eat for dinner?"

And while I'm making lunch ... "What have you got there? What's that? What's that? So you lost weight eating those things? Where did you get them? How much are they? Don't you find that eating healthy is so expensive?"

:grin:

• sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I never really know how to respond to people like that :p.

Usually I never get past "oh, I could never do that!" as I just smile brightly like "oh, that's nice!" and it seems to throw people off lol.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I just say - by eating less and moving more. But yes usually more questions follow. I'm as vague as possible with general acquaintances as I have learned that most people don't like to hear its down to CICO. They want me to tell them the magical secret... :wink: With real friends, they know I'm on MFP and admire my commitment and what I've achieved. With others - I don't really care :neutral:
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I simple tell them I don't eat! Half truth but they just give me a blank look. Others that are closer have then been like no really? And then I tell them about MFP. None have tried it One still writes in her notebook everyday.

Might I add I was feeling much better about this yesterday.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    "Eat less, move more."

For the most part, that's the end of it. People seem to lose interest when I didn't lose weight because of a magical, effortless pill, shake, juice, or way of eating.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I used to go into details about counting calories and being active but they glaze over when they realise its not some miracle pil!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My standard answer is to tell them I am on the "ELMM" diet. Most will ask "what is that" and I reply "Eat Less, Move More". Most will laugh and change the subject. Some will ask for further details so I do go on to tell them I count calories, make sure I get enough protein and fat (and let the carbs fall where they may), and deny myself nothing except the huge portions I used to eat.

There have been a couple of people in my water aerobics class who wanted even more info so I have suggested MFP as a tracking tool and gone into more detail about my meals, but that is when they ask and are actually interested in the answer.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Depending on my mood my answer is:

Yes, I eat less, exercise more, or;
    Yes, and I have no idea why, do you think I should see a doctor?
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I like the ELMM diet answer. Will steal! :)
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    When I tell my mom I've lost weight by counting calories, she immediately wants to know what I eat for every meal. I say, I dunno......Food? No magical food, just eating less.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    This has only happened to me once so far. The man who lives in the condo below mine has been taken by ambulance a few times for out of control blood pressure. He caught me and my dog running around the trees downstairs 2 weeks ago and said I looked really healthy (I was over the moon that he called me healthy). He then asked if I had lost weight. When I said yes, almost 40 lbs, he asked how. I sighed and tried to give a bland answer, something about following serving sizes on food lables. He asks more questions about my workout and I correct him by saying that the gym just keeps my temper in check from being hungry. All of my loss has been from paying close attention to calories. He groaned like a wounded animal. I didn't even get to the MFP part. He wanted me to say it was Magic.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    goji berry enemas.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    bloody88 wrote: »

I say, "I eat fewer calories than I burn".

That's usually not satisfactory. There's usually a follow-up question like ...

"Does that mean you eat low carb?"
    "Do you eat low fat?"
    "Have you quit eating sugar?"
    "What foods have you cut out of your diet?"
    "Do you exercise a lot?"
    "What specifically do you eat? Could you write down a list of good foods for me?"
    "Could you tell me specifically what you eat for dinner?"

And while I'm making lunch ... "What have you got there? What's that? What's that? So you lost weight eating those things? Where did you get them? How much are they? Don't you find that eating healthy is so expensive?"

:grin:

Gotta love the follow-up questions. :smiley: I work in a grocery store, so I buy my lunch there every day. When I was losing, anytime I bought something other people thought I shouldn't be eating, the cashier would say " you can eat that?" I'm like, "I can eat anything I want, so long as it fits in my calories". They always look dubious. I just smile and walk away with my food. I figure that maybe after they've heard that about 20 times, it will either sink in or they'll quit asking.

I've had coworkers note down what I'm eating ... and then go get it like whatever it is might be the magic way to lose weight.

For example, I might have one of these once a week for lunch:
    http://symingtons.com/products/pasta-mug-shots/

This is my favourite one:
    Mug-Shot-Pasta-Snack-Creamy-Cheese-68g.png

I mix it with chicken and veggies and it comes to about 400 cal for lunch, which works for me.

One of my coworkers went out and bought a whole bunch of them because she saw me eating one.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I like the ELMM diet answer. Will steal! :)

Feel free. I stole it from someone else. For some reason, people respond better if your "diet" has a name (even if it is a sort of joke name)