• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I tell them I watch what I eat...that's pretty much it
  • cdcllcga01
    cdcllcga01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    "Eat less, move more."

For the most part, that's the end of it. People seem to lose interest when I didn't lose weight because of a magical, effortless pill, shake, juice, or way of eating.

^^This. My experience exactly.

• KayTeeOne
    KayTeeOne Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was just asked yesterday how do you remain so slim after eating all that pizza , while I just had 2 slices in my plate .
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Everyone who's asked me has always been nice about it. I've had two people double check that the weight loss was intentional (basically checking that I wasn't sick/dying :smile:). I tell people I'm counting calories or eating less (sometimes mention MFP) and they tell me I'm looking good. One guy said "yeah that whole eating less thing, its amazing how it works", as in he was doing it too, but really wished there was an easier way or an extra secret (hey, I wish there was too).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Usually I say that "I cleaned up my diet, stopped eating as much," and if they keep going, I'll get into it.

Weighing every little bit of food you eat is a little more obsessive than most people want to be. And most people, obviously,do not do that, so the ranges of reactions to that tidbit of info will, of course, include surprise and a general "Wouldn't want to do that!" attitude. "I know. It's a pain. But it's working for me!" is my general response to that.

Usually, people who eat healthy ask about what I ate, what I eat now. People who struggle will ask about eating healthy. It's a lot of fun for me to hear other people's ideas and struggles. Most people I talk to were not raised on healthy food, so I identify with that and enjoy talking to them the most. I always hear about their diets and then they always mention one or two junk foods that they love, lol. Every single time, it's like, "So, blah, blah, blah...but, OMG, potato chips! I LOVE POTATO CHIPS!" I always hear about the thing they'll never give up. :)

Most people tell me they've tried one of the calorie-counting sites, but couldn't stuck with it. I get that.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    bloody88 wrote: »
    ..to people that ask you how you lost weight?
    When I tell them by calorie counting/logging, they roll their eyes and say that it's insane and that it's not normal to weight every single ingredient.
    Then they continue to discredit the proccess with everyone around supporting them(9 out of 10times)..
    It's frustrating to say the least!

I answer the question stating that I keep a diary of everything I eat and have reduced calories.

I then move on, I don't need their approval or endorsement. My 60 pound loss is proof enough.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    bloody88 wrote: »
    ..to people that ask you how you lost weight?
    When I tell them by calorie counting/logging, they roll their eyes and say that it's insane and that it's not normal to weight every single ingredient.
    Then they continue to discredit the proccess with everyone around supporting them(9 out of 10times)..
    It's frustrating to say the least!

I am not weighing/logging my food right now, so it doesn't quite apply.
    But even when I did, I usually tell people something vague like "Oh, I watch what I eat and started running"
    If I sense that the person is fishing to instigate negativity or debate, I will either be more vague or change the topic/leave the conversation (I don't have time for negativity in my life or to engage in debates trying to validate my life choices to others)
    If I sense that the person would genuinely wants to learn more because they are on the same path or whatever, then I am more willing to be specific.

As far as friends go, I only have a few. And I make sure that they are positive people that encourage my growth.
    But there are always those in life that you are obligated to deal with (be it family or acquaintances) and are less than a shinning ray of light....I try to keep those at bay. Vague answers, and move on.

P.S: I log exercise and weight on MFP and I love the support I get from my friends list. I am just not logging and weighing food with the app ATM.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Usually I say that "I cleaned up my diet, stopped eating as much," and if they keep going, I'll get into it.

Weighing every little bit of food you eat is a little more obsessive than most people want to be. And most people, obviously,do not do that, so the ranges of reactions to that tidbit of info will, of course, include surprise and a general "Wouldn't want to do that!" attitude. "I know. It's a pain. But it's working for me!" is my general response to that.

Usually, people who eat healthy ask about what I ate, what I eat now. People who struggle will ask about eating healthy. It's a lot of fun for me to hear other people's ideas and struggles. Most people I talk to were not raised on healthy food, so I identify with that and enjoy talking to them the most. I always hear about their diets and then they always mention one or two junk foods that they love, lol. Every single time, it's like, "So, blah, blah, blah...but, OMG, potato chips! I LOVE POTATO CHIPS!" I always hear about the thing they'll never give up. :)

Most people tell me they've tried one of the calorie-counting sites, but couldn't stuck with it. I get that.

Right.. I joined mfp four years ago.

I had no idea about TDEE. Set my goal at 1200 calories and found I couldn't do it and gave up.
    At that time I should of been eating 1700 calories.

A friend who kept saying are you going to do this your whole life?? Your not in your 20s anymore. Noone cares what you look like. Eat what you want, life is too short. You look good!! Went on about her mom and calorie counting at 70. She still worrys about her weight and how her life is not gonna be that way. I was derailed. Now I tell her nothing. Shes in another state and im meeting up with her at Christmas. Cant wait to see the look on her face when she asks what I did to lose weight. C:
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    "eat less, move more"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Eat less and exercise. I don't even get in the calorie counting thing as people think I'm crazy.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I use tiered responses. The first answer is calorie restriction and exercise. If they want more answers I tell them MFP. If they want details and I have the time I give them actual instructions. But it all depends on their response.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I had no idea about TDEE. Set my goal at 1200 calories and found I couldn't do it and gave up.

A friend who kept saying are you going to do this your whole life?? Your not in your 20s anymore. Noone cares what you look like. Eat what you want, life is too short. You look good!! Went on about her mom and calorie counting at 70. She still worrys about her weight and how her life is not gonna be that way. I was derailed. Now I tell her nothing. Shes in another state and im meeting up with her at Christmas. Cant wait to see the look on her face when she asks what I did to lose weight.
    C:[/quote]

I think your friend is definitely projecting her own internal dialogue onto you. She probably feels insecure about her own life choices and is trying to justify them this way.
    I am guessing that she is insecure about her choices and would probably feel better if those closes to her did the same as her -- for a sense of validation or something.

So know that her words are not really about *you*, but about her own struggles.
    I also find it is best to keep those type of people on a "need to know" basis.
  • sunandmoons
    edited October 2015
    Options

A friend who kept saying are you going to do this your whole life?? Your not in your 20s anymore. Noone cares what you look like. Eat what you want, life is too short. You look good!! Went on about her mom and calorie counting at 70. She still worrys about her weight and how her life is not gonna be that way. I was derailed. Now I tell her nothing. Shes in another state and im meeting up with her at Christmas. Cant wait to see the look on her face when she asks what I did to lose weight.
    C:[/quote]

I think your friend is definitely projecting her own internal dialogue onto you. She probably feels insecure about her own life choices and is trying to justify them this way.
    I am guessing that she is insecure about her choices and would probably feel better if those closes to her did the same as her -- for a sense of validation or something.

So know that her words are not really about *you*, but about her own struggles.
    I also find it is best to keep those type of people on a "need to know" basis. [/quote]

Right..We used to diet together. When I was ready or thought I was..she wasnt and really didnt want me to. Thats why this time I kept it to myself. Besides I know now I dont need to have her in my own journey.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It's not your duty to convince them that what you're doing is working.
  • sunandmoons
    edited October 2015
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    It's not your duty to convince them that what you're doing is working.

No, it isn't. However we have been close friends for 35 years. We influence off of each other when it comes to dieting. When I restarted MFP in July I decided I dont need to bring her with me nor do I need her influence on my own journey.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I tell them diet and exercise. It's kind of hard to argue with me when I've lost 156 lbs. Although I think there are a few out there that don't believe I did it without surgery.

For the eye-rollers (there are still some, and the ones who "can't be bothered") I tell them they're right, it was actually magical pixie dust. The one harvested from the first morning dew drops of a 4-leaf clover found in only a far-flung corner of Ireland on the morning after a blue moon, mixed with the shavings of the horn of the rare purple unicorn, at the precise moment that a thousand babies laugh for the first time (in harmony). I have a secret stash of it. If the government ever finds out about my secret weight loss miracle dust I'm done for...

Hilarious!! :D
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I tell them that I use MFP to count calories and exercise more. If they roll their eyes, or whatever, I tell them that it works and say that I guess you really don't want to lose weight. That usually shuts them up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    "Eat less, move more."

For the most part, that's the end of it. People seem to lose interest when I didn't lose weight because of a magical, effortless pill, shake, juice, or way of eating.

This ^
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    "Eat less, move more."

This is exactly what I say and people never pursue it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I tell them that I use MFP to count calories and exercise more. If they roll their eyes, or whatever, I tell them that it works and say that I guess you really don't want to lose weight. That usually shuts them up.

Ha! Excellent. :)