Is cold canned soup (in general) safe to eat?

Options
Simple question. Sometimes I'm in the mood to eat, but the brain power required to think, sometimes is exhausting... expecially after a day long migraine / headache.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. :) Do what is helping you reach your goals.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Packaged/canned soap is already cooked and is safe to eat straight from the can.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've done it before and live to tell the story of my own personal desperation in a time when my power was out and I couldn't find a lighter for my stove. That being said, I can imagine if you do it frequently you could put yourself at risk of cancer due to metals from the can, but I mean, what isn't going to give you cancer these days?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The metals from the can are a constant whether you heat the contents up or not.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

But if you use a spoon to eat the soup I'd imagine it scraping could increase the risk of the metals leeching into the soup itself? I'm probably wrong, but that's always what I thought o.o
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's precooked, so you won't get salmonella or anything. It's loaded with salt, though. Even saltaholics might find it too salty.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like the boxed soups better. Yes I have poured a cup of chicken broth and drank it without warming. As stated above they are cooked and sealed.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's precooked, so you won't get salmonella or anything. some have high salt levels, though. Even saltaholics might find some brands too salty.

FIFY.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »

But if you use a spoon to eat the soup I'd imagine it scraping could increase the risk of the metals leeching into the soup itself? I'm probably wrong, but that's always what I thought o.o

You're not using a metal spoon, are you? Can you imagine the cancer you'd get eating out of a metal can with a metal spoon? You're basically just eating cancer straight off of cancer.

tumblr_inline_n1j0bz6iKd1qdozhv.gif
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »

What kind of jaggedy pointy spoon are you using that you think it is going to scratch the inside of an aluminum can enough to shave off little fragments of metal into your soup? And if that happens, I'd be more worried about gouging the inside of my mouth with the spoon than cancer from metal on metal....
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    But if you put that soup into a pot and heat it up, then you've got metal from the can and metal from the pot. And if it's non-stick, you get the teflon too!

Do you really want to know how deep the rabbit hole goes?

the-matrix2.jpg

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's precooked, so you won't get salmonella or anything. It's loaded with salt, though. Even saltaholics might find it too salty.

Cold soup is saltier than warm soup?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    But if you put that soup into a pot and heat it up, then you've got metal from the can and metal from the pot. And if it's non-stick, you get the teflon too!

the-matrix2.jpg

I'm going to wear a foil hat though while I'm eating it. Better or worse?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Just when you think you've seen it all! Never change, MFP! :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

the-matrix2.jpg

Do you?
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Only if its Duck Soup.
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out the inside of those cans are coated in a plastic epoxy. The metal isn't going to hurt you. You might grow a third arm from the BPA though... Wait, am I helping?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    teephil wrote: »
    I just want to point out the inside of those cans are coated in a plastic epoxy. The metal isn't going to hurt you. You might grow a third arm from the BPA though... Wait, am I helping?

Imagine what you could do with an extra arm though

It's almost worth it