Cooking for myself (to lose weight) and my boyfriend (to gain weight).

Options
2»

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Oh and clean up after himself when he does...cos for some reason when men cook (stereotype ahead) they use every single pot, pan, spoon, knife and gadget in the entire house

My husband. I love that he steps up and cooks a few nights a week, but I always clean for a while after!
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Oh and clean up after himself when he does...cos for some reason when men cook (stereotype ahead) they use every single pot, pan, spoon, knife and gadget in the entire house

My husband. I love that he steps up and cooks a few nights a week, but I always clean for a while after!
    My husband too. There's always some truth in stereotypes...
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Something that he might want to consider is snacking during the day outside of regular meal time. It won't impact you and so much and it will help get those extra calories. Get him stuff like nuts, dried fruit, granola bars. Things that are stable and you can just toss in with his regular lunch.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My gf and I have never cooked for each other on a regular basis. We have different goals and preferences (she's vegetarian; I eat mostly meat), so it's just never been convenient or desired.

Unless your boyfriend is 12, he should be cooking his own meals. :-)
    I can try to teach him but it might produce disastrous results

This actually made me sad to read.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, there are marriages that work with a strict division of duties. We negotiated. I haven't done laundry in fifteen years.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »

My husband too. There's always some truth in stereotypes...
    Lol, it sucks, but I can't complain. My first husband wouldn't even lift a finger in the house while my current husband is helpful in every way possible.

Anyway, OP, my husband is also trying to gain while I'm always trying to lose. When we first moved in together he lost quite a bit of weight and I gained a few lbs (he has a takeout wing habit that I've acclimated to!).

I batch cook and freeze portions as well as flash freeze individual items. While I may have a few zucchini/turkey meatballs, he'll put them in a roll with sauce and cheese. My daughter and husband love eating "walking tacos" with Doritos, but I take my turkey taco meat and put it on a salad or a thin corn tortilla. We also do the veggie noodle swap and he eats regular pasta. I often don't really eat dinner, but he has super easy foods to grab and eat (portions of chili to just put condiments on, stew, soups, frozen homemade burritos, squash/chicken nuggets, etc) or just makes a pita pizza, a quesadilla, or some eggs and bacon.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    -My husband is willing to have cheese put on top most things. Sometimes I steam broccoli, remove my share and throw cheese on top his and continue to steam until melted. That is pretty much the extent of how far I am willing to go to cook differently for him.
    -We keep snacks on hand for him. His current "thing" is roasted seaweed. The nice thing about this one is we can both have it :)
    -Since you are eating low carb, he can get quite a few calories just by adding high carb items to whatever you are having: bread with dinner, lots of fruit, cereal for snacks.
    -If you make him twice as much as you do for yourself, he doesn't have to eat it at one sitting; he can have it for snack some other time.
    -He should learn to cook SOMETHING. He doesn't need to learn complicated techniques or experiment with flavors, but he should have a handful of things that he can fix himself.

• Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Omg! This is so true in our case too. Married almost 19 years in a few weeks Last night he was making us beef brocollie fried rice! Yummy, but I was washing and cleaning as he cooked. That way I wouldn't have every pot in the house to wash after dinner! I guess a trade off for delicious fried rice!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Give him larger portions and as mentioned above add fats and oils to his.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize with this.

I've been making my bf and I the same stuff but feeding him little snacks throughout the day. Peanut butter bars. Cheese. Chips. etc. Things like that. Not the healthiest but it has helped him gain. Also, I'll have him drink juice and milk whereas I'll drink water. Makes a difference. Now my bf is a healthy weight.
  • joanaliachristina
    joanaliachristina Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thank so much to all for your input! :) I made him a milkshake last night and he LOVED it! He also now has high-carb options in the freezer for when he needs quick calories. I will try to incorporate high fat/carb additions to our meals soon.

Just to clarify, it's really not that I'm doing everything in the house - we definitely have a division of labour! There are certain chores that I absolutely won't touch and he will do. Cooking is one thing I personally prefer to do myself because I get iffy about other people using the pans/tools/appliances, and I am a lot more particular about food than he is. That's just my own quirk! He does often come to the kitchen with me to hang out and help me with little things while I'm cooking for us. We both do our own laundry so that's equally divided too. :) It's by no means a relationship where I cater to him!

Saying that, I am taking your advice to heart and I've brought up what you guys all said to him. He says he will try to get even more involved in the cooking and I'll also see if I can teach him a few simple recipes. :) He makes simple things like salads, sandwiches, etc. which I don't usually eat. I'll see if he can learn a few simple recipes that we both like.

Thank you so much to everyone who gave your input! Much much appreciated! <3
  • rdrettig1
    rdrettig1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Oh man I have been dealing with this for a while. I am always trying to lose weight and my husband is always trying to gain weight. The thing that makes it even harder is he has food allergies and is doing the aip protocol diet, and he is also allergic to fruit. So all he can eat is pretty much meat and oil and vegetables. Plus he tracks his macros so he can't have huge amounts of fat or anything. I also cook for two picky children, it is kind of a nightmare....sorry for the rant! What we use to do to up his calories were things like, homemade granola bars or granola, nuts, peanut butter, oats in his smoothies, avocados, cans of coconut milk, raisins, and sometimes he resorted to weight gainer protein.
  • literique
    literique Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I make meat/veggies both of us and rice/pasta just for him on the side. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Thank so much to all for your input! :) I made him a milkshake last night and he LOVED it! He also now has high-carb options in the freezer for when he needs quick calories. I will try to incorporate high fat/carb additions to our meals soon.

Just to clarify, it's really not that I'm doing everything in the house - we definitely have a division of labour! There are certain chores that I absolutely won't touch and he will do. Cooking is one thing I personally prefer to do myself because I get iffy about other people using the pans/tools/appliances, and I am a lot more particular about food than he is. That's just my own quirk! He does often come to the kitchen with me to hang out and help me with little things while I'm cooking for us. We both do our own laundry so that's equally divided too. :) It's by no means a relationship where I cater to him!

Saying that, I am taking your advice to heart and I've brought up what you guys all said to him. He says he will try to get even more involved in the cooking and I'll also see if I can teach him a few simple recipes. :) He makes simple things like salads, sandwiches, etc. which I don't usually eat. I'll see if he can learn a few simple recipes that we both like.

Thank you so much to everyone who gave your input! Much much appreciated! <3

My fiance and I don't live together. He says he'd like to cook more, but feels like he lacks basic cooking techniques. I explained that my Gramma used to say "If you can read, you can cook" and any recipe from a decent cookbook like The Joy of Cooking will include all the information he needs to know. He doesn't need to "play by ear" - he can "read the sheet music."