Has your health improved?

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
Since going from a sedentary lifestyle in January to a very active one now, by mostly walking, I've seen some noticeable differences in my health.

No headaches (I used to get one at least once a week).

No back problems. (It used to "go out" every month or two.)

I've also seen big improvements in my cardiovascular health, but I don't quite know how to measure it. Haven't had V02 Max tests done.

Has exercising improved your health in any way?

Replies

• firebloom
    firebloom Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I feel healthier and have a lot more energy and less headaches (when I strictly limit added sugar). I'm also much more sensitive to all of the basic medications like paracetamol etc. Pain killers are more effective when I need them but I also can't take ibuprofen or psudoephedrine anymore because they both knock me around a bit and I feel doped up if I take them. It's a bit strange but I only take stuff like that very rarely anyway.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I didn't have a whole lot of weight to lose (about two stone from my heaviest to my lightest), but I suffered a lot from stress-aggravated eczema. Since I started exercising regularly, I feel less stressed, and I have noticed my flare ups are fewer, less severe and further apart. Instead of using some combination of topical steroids, anti-inflammatories, emollients and heavy duty moisturisers to treat a flare up every single month more or less, I've been to my doctor for eczema treatment only twice in the last six years.

My diet was always pretty good (lots of fruit and veg, protein, fats, not crazily high in very sugary foods or those which contain a lot of preservatives - which were known to aggravate my skin so I didn't go crazy with them at any point), so I'm chalking it up to the exercise. Could be age (in my mid twenties now rather than late teens) but the type of eczema I have is not normally one people grow out of.
  • brittany82872
    brittany82872 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I went from low activity to high activity and the difference in my health is amazing. I am way more energetic and able to get right up in the morning. I am also very excited that it has become easier to breathe now that I am active versus wheezing after minimal excercise.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Thanks heaps for the replies so far! Great to hear!

I'd like to know what sort of exercise people have been doing in addition to the health benefits.

I was wondering how exercise had improved people's health, but I guess it's also tied in with weight loss too.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Lower BP, lower cholesterol, lower resting HR, sleeping better and feeling better overall.....I'd say yes!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It was a mix of swimming and the gym (using weight machines first and then later free weights and kettlebells, as well as using the cardio equipment) that I used. Running came later.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    Interesting question ...

My health wasn't too bad to begin with, and my diet was OK ... just too much of it ... but ...

1. My cholesterol had increased for the first time in my life I was actually borderline high. Not high enough for the Dr to consider medication, but just on the edge of what they consider healthy.

Now, my cholesterol is well within the normal range.

2. My blood pressure and resting heart rate had gone up a little bit. Still normal, but higher than what I'm used to.

Now, my blood pressure is back to being low and I have a resting heart rate under 50 again.

3. I was having a lot of heartburn and digestive issues ... I was actually sent for an endoscopy and a rate of digestion test.

That seems to have eased up quite a bit, except when I'm stressed about an assignment or exam. Like right this minute.

4. I was having a lot of chest pain and difficulty breathing upon exertion ... I was sent for several heart and lung tests, including an angiogram. I do have valve damage from rheumatic fever when I was 4, and I do have some asthma (mostly exercise/stress induced), but otherwise things were good, and they couldn't figure out the chest pain and difficulty breathing.

That seems to have eased up quite a bit since I'm no longer carrying around an extra 24 kg. Have you tried to pick up 24 kg in weights and walk up a steep hill? No wonder I felt like I was dying.

5. However, I will always have the kidney stones, no matter what size I am. I'm stuck with them.

As for exercises ...

-- lots and lots of brisk walking
    -- as much cycling as I can fit in
    -- stair climbing
    -- occasional swimming
    -- one outing in a kayak
    -- and some light weights

So far. :)

• Orphia
    Options
    That's really great, guys!
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My doctor just said I could stay off BP meds! I'm so HAPPY!!!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Went hiking in Yellowstone in May and after an hour spent the rest of the day limping around.

In the beginning of September, went hiking again in Yellowstone and hiked for 3 1/2 hours, 45 minutes were climbing a steep grade and I could have kept on going.

So yes, more endurance, more flexibility.
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've gone from a 24/7/365 very severe migraine to 1 or 2 a week. I feel tons better. This also means I'm consuming way less medication, which I was totally dependant on for many years. This is a HUGE improvement!! I feel like I finally have my life back. I've had some brain trauma so I'm not sure if they'll ever completely go away, but they sure have improved a lot!

Also have way more energy. If I skip my exercise then I'm back to feeling lethargic and it's hard to get back to it.

I haven't been at it long enough to get new blood work yet, but I do hope my readings will improve with my next visit. I'm also desperate to improve my cardiovascular health, but that's going very slow.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Oh heck yeah. In June I was walking with a cane and could barely make it up or down stairs because of constant hip and knee problems. Just 100 days later swimming 3 - 4X per week, I've lost 26 lbs, the hip and knee pain is gone, I can walk make it up and down stairs like a real human again.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I lost about 45 lbs... Health benefits similar to everyone:
    Lower blood pressure, glucose levels, resting heart rate
    Headaches/migraines substantially reduced (they still flare up in fall/spring as weather pressure changes suddenly)
    More energy
    Healthy bmi/body fat %
    Increased strength, aerobic/anerobic conditioning, able to move better, faster & am more agile, improved mind/muscle connection
    Eat healthier, am more conscious of what I eat
    Improved skin condition (less pimples)
    Less stressed out, take frustration out at the gym

For exercise I do a mix of strength/resistance work,sprinting, agility/speed/balance exercises/drills, yoga, Krav Maga classes, lead a tabata class 1-2 times/week, Zumba (active rest for fun). I enjoy horseback riding, swimming, canoeing, hiking.

I try to challenge myself 1-2 times/year & have completed Tough Mudder twice, CN stair tower climb twice, 5 & 10 km. charity runs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Leaps and bounds. Besides being off all meds, I can stoop down to pick up a penny, run to the bus stop or up a flight of stairs. My life is literally transformed.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Wow, this is so encouraging to hear.

Really loving everyone's replies.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I've never had high blood pressure or any major ailments related to weight, and did a treadmill type heart stress test a few years ago.

BUT....

Getting out to get more exercise has without a doubt helped. I've dropped a little over 30 lbs, so I'm quicker on my feet. I have more endurance than before, and I'd say my cardio is up at or maybe even slightly better than when I got out of the military 25 years ago. I've also been doing some body weight stuff, and so if anything my strength has improved over not long ago.

So I'd have to say yes... my health has improved.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I was always a strong walker and hiker. But when I gained (over 6-7 years, slowly), at my "peak" of highest weight, I could barely finish a longer hike. I was over 48 years old and didn't want to turn 50 and be even heavier.

Walking was my first (and still is my primary) activity. When I had lost 25 pounds (my first goal was to lose about 40-45, I didn't think I "could" lose anymore, rationalizing my age and all that crap), my blood pressure went down significantly.

Added some different kinds of cardio, off and on. Ended up losing 75 pounds, more than I ever dreamed. And then I started mountain biking, and fell in love with that. Age 50, a mountain biker! A few years later, one year ago matter of fact, I started weight lifting.

Throughout my entire weight loss period, I had no clue how important strength training was. Of those 75 pounds, I'd guess about 25-30 were muscle. I lost the weight quickly and that kept me motivated, but I wish I would've started with weights right away.

However, I've seen my strength make incredible gains. Not as much as some of the examples of women lifting on this site (wow, are they inspiring!), but to go from barely being able to lift 20 pounds over my head to pressing 70 pounds. Deadlift (what the heck was that??? said I to my trainer...), started at maybe 55 pounds, got up to 150.

I found that the best lifestyle for me is to find a variety of things I enjoy, and shake it up. Winter? Time to hit the weights more. Summer? Maintain my weights and get into biking, more walking, and pickleball. Enough snow on the ground? Snap on the snowshoes. I love it!!! To feel the strongest--and healthiest--I've ever been at age 53, it's such a confidence boost.