Easy Way to Eat Greek Yogurt

Options
IncessantlyAya
IncessantlyAya Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2015 in Recipes
I like the benefits of Greek yogurt (just 100 calories for a filling 1 cup, tons of protein) but I don't care for the taste.
I thought I'd share how I eat it, since it's super easy; I make it in my dorm room!
    1 cup Greek Yogurt (100 calories, 24g protein) 1/3 c nonfat milk (29 calories, 3g protein) [Optional; I add milk because I don't like how thick Greek yogurt is] 2 tsp. honey (43 calories) [Optional; for taste]
Add milk and honey to yogurt and stir until mixed. Add:
    1 Tbsp. peanut butter (95 calories, 4g protein) 1/2 banana, sliced (53 calories, 1g protein) 1/4 c Cheerios Protein Oats & Honey (42 calories, 1g protein) [or your favorite crunchy cereal]
Total: 362 calories, 32g protein

You can also add in unsalted almonds or other nuts that you like. I usually eat this for
breakfast, brunch, or lunch, and it keeps me full. :)

If you have any suggestions for improving this "recipe," or your own way to eat Greek yogurt,
please feel free to share!

Replies

• finnsgma
    finnsgma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek yougurt every single day for breakfast. I do about 3/4 cup Fage total (full fat), a cut up apple, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Then I add about 1/4 cup of Engine 2 Rip's Big Bowl cereal. I have been eating this for breakfast every day for ever and I love it! It keeps me full for 4-5 hours. I initially was doing the 0% or 2% but found that switching to the full fat made no difference and I like the taste much better.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My preferred method is in great quantity, with a spoon :wink: but I love it
  • guapa68
    guapa68 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like the full fat version with mixed berries and nuts
  • IncessantlyAya
    IncessantlyAya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    finnsgma wrote: »
    I eat Greek yougurt every single day for breakfast. I do about 3/4 cup Fage total (full fat), a cut up apple, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Then I add about 1/4 cup of Engine 2 Rip's Big Bowl cereal. I have been eating this for breakfast every day for ever and I love it! It keeps me full for 4-5 hours. I initially was doing the 0% or 2% but found that switching to the full fat made no difference and I like the taste much better.
    Thanks for the tips; I should try this!

Full fat Greek yogurt? Do you notice any difference other than taste?
    I guess I just went straight for fat free, no flavor, because I thought that was better...
    My preferred method is in great quantity, with a spoon :wink: but I love it
    Haha nice. ((:
    guapa68 wrote: »
    I like the full fat version with mixed berries and nuts
    I've been meaning to try it with frozen berries (for convenience),
    but they seem so expensive! And there aren't many stores that I can get to
    easily from campus... )):

Why do you like the full fat version best? Does it taste better?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt & cereal is a yummy combination

1/2 C blueberries, 1 tub of vanilla Greek, 2 Tbls Grapenuts cereal , and 1 Tbls. chopped pecans.

1/3 C raspberries, 1 tub of lemon Greek, 1/4 C. Fiber One cereal , and 1 Tbls. chopped almonds.

Less expensive blueberries.........check to see if your Dollar Tree has them in their frozen food section. Strawberries are always going to be cheaper. They are good also, but sometimes you need to cut them into smaller pieces.

If you have an Aldi anywhere near you....they have good prices too.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I usually eat Fage 0%. I put a handful of frozen raspberries or blackberries serving in a plastic container and then weight out my 227 grams of yogurt on top. I squeeze a tablespoon of agave syrup on top then put on the lid and take it to work with me. By the time I get there the raspberries have thawed and it stirs up very nicely. You could easily add some granola or something else crunchy, if you wanted. Note that I buy the berries fresh when on sale and freeze them. If you add fresh berries it doesn't work nearly as well; you'd need to mash them before adding to the yogurt.

I also use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream on everything. I add dip mixes to it, put it straight on potatoes and food like tacos. You can use it to make chicken or egg salad (although I usually need to add in a little mayo and some vinegar to get the right taste).
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I, also, eat Greek Yogurt every morning. I do Chobani or Trader Joes. Love the stuff!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Here's mine: Fage 0%. The 17.6oz tub which is 260 calories. I add 60 grams canned pumpkin, cinnamon, splenda and liquid stevia, blend together. Yummy seasonal flavor...
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% + milk shaken with vanilla protein powder + whatever berries there are in the fridge / freezer + cereal + nuts + cinnamon and nutmeg.

Usually looks like this:

zokhouzpy2h8.jpg
  • guapa68
    guapa68 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have less quanity but full fat - its just more luscious . I use frozen berries generally or seasonal berries (cheaper) when promoted in supermarkets. I also like to chuck nuts in it at times.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    i use a straw.
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'ma have ta say With a Spoon myself. Tried a fork once and it just didn't work for me. That's what I get for listening to my friends when they tell me to "Use the fork, Luke!"
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Muldactus wrote: »
    ... "Use the fork, Luke!"
    "Luke, I am your Fage..."

OK, I also use a spoon, but often add any dry breakfast cereals for a bit of volume. While not exactly 'low-cal', I've been known to get a little Trix cereal involved ;) (could just be my 'dark side' ...)

• tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Muldactus wrote: »
    ... "Use the fork, Luke!"
    "Luke, I am your Fage..."

OK, I also use a spoon, but often add any dry breakfast cereals for a bit of volume. While not exactly 'low-cal', I've been known to get a little Trix cereal involved ;) (could just be my 'dark side' ...)

lol!!
  • ashleylinkewich1
    ashleylinkewich1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    Currently my favorite greek yogurt recipe is what I call gains oats. Basically Mix greek yogurt, oats, almond milk and whatever else (iIl do stevia and cinnamon) and enjoy. Super good for planning ahead and meal prep
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Or you could put in 2 packets of splenda to cut the bite down...and then it's still 100 cals.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/2 cup of Greek Gods (full fat, absolutely the best) yogurt with a tsp. of honey or maple syrup and 1/2 cup of fresh berries. Sometimes I add walnuts or pecans. Very delicious.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Every morning for breakfast:

Over-night Oats
    1 Greek yogurt, fat free (usually 5.3 oz, a fruit flavor)
    18 grams of protein powder (Cookies and cream seems to go with everything)
    15 grams of oats

Mix together in a Tupperware container, put it in the fridge, and let sit over night. I usually make a double batch. There is something about the consistency of it that is appealing, it is very high in protein, and it is pretty filling.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Just tried this today. Chobani plain Greek yogurt. 2 TBSP pumpkin. Pumpkin pie spice to taste (I used about 1/4 tsp). Teaspoon of vanilla protein powder. Mix well
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I find that the grocery store Greek yogurt is just okay. The best ever is from a Greek deli. I actually get mine from 2 hours away from a friend who visits family every week and lives near me. I can only imagine how many she brings weekly in a cooler! It's not just me - it's at least 2 other households lol.

They make a full fat, a 2%, and a fat free. I like to mix the latter two to make a 1% or just eat 2%. Instead of tasting like sour cream, it tastes more like cream cheese (but nobody looks twice when you eat it straight) ;)