Favourite lactose free frozen desserts ("ice cream"s)?

Options
2»

Replies

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I reccomend the cashew milk ice creams from So Delicious too. I bought the creamy cashew flavor at Walmart the other day for $3.00 (I had a $1.00 off coupon) and it was hands-down the best nondairy ice cream that I've ever had. The texture was exactly like that of premium ice cream. Plus, the sweet and slightly salty flavor of the creamy cashew flavor was to die for. Especially with some Glutino chocolate chip cookies. :)

I bought their limited edition candy corn ice cream bars and Pumpkin Nog tonight I'll report back tomarrow on how they taste.
  • threefancy4
    threefancy4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Masil20 wrote: »
    Breyer's makes a lactose free vanilla and chocolate, though the chocolate is hard to find. My daughter is lactose intolerant so we get it for her, but it tastes no different and others in the family eat it too. I think it is even the same prices as their other ice creams.

I came in to say this. If you want ice cream, eat this. The choc flavor is sold at Target. It tastes the same as regular ice cream.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    The Lactaid Salted Caramel Chip is good & 170 calories per serving.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    FYI, if the container indicates 'parve' that means it's lactose free.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    The Lactaid Salted Caramel Chip is good & 170 calories per serving.

That sounds good! I don't like Breyer's normal ice cream, so I'm not going to try their lactose free. Plus, plain vanilla and chocolate are pretty boring. The So Delicious cashew milk ones are pretty good, but pricey. They are what I have been buying, especially now that I'm in the US and lots of flavours are available.
    ydyms wrote: »
    FYI, if the container indicates 'parve' that means it's lactose free.

I have never seen that before.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I make my own by blending a frozen banana, a little almond milk and cocoa powder. I eat it every night usually and it cures the ice cream craving while also being low calorie and nutritious. I do like the cashew milk ice cream by so delicious that someone mentioned too, but the calories and fat content are really high and it's expensive. So it isn't something id eat regularly.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    The So Delicious cashew milk ones are definitely intriguing. I've heard good things about the coconut ones, but I don't like coconut.... I'll see if the store has the cashew milk ones, thanks for the suggestion!

edit: Are the almond milk ones not as good?

I wish we had the Cashew Milk Snickerdoodle flavor around here.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

WINK FROZEN DESSERTS will rock your socks off! 100 calories per pint!

eh personally thought it was a waste of a purchase.. nothing like ice cream.
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a low-calorie option that I particularly liked, but Tofutti makes pretty good "frozen non-dairy dessert." And the Tofutti Cuties are their mini ice cream sandwiches, which might be relevant to your interests.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The Almond Milk ice cream is good if you like almonds. I had the chocolate, and it tasted like chocolate almond, which I'm ok with.

But Bryer's does make a lactose-free ice cream now and it's awesome! Not low calorie, but lactose-free.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The candy corn ice cream bars are really good! The bottom orange part is orange flavored, while the top white part is vanilla. The tip is dipped in dark chocolate, so it's like a chocolate-coated dreamsicle bar! It's best if you let it temper for 10 minutes before you eat it, though. Otherwise it's a rock.

The pumpkin nog is really yummy too. Like melted pumpkin ice cream. You could probably pour it into ice cream molds and make Popsicles with it. Or blend it to make pumpkin smoothies. Or blend it with frozen bananas and some cinnamon to make pumpkin-banana soft serve. The pumpkin possibilities are endless!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    WastedGetsSmaller Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Have you ever made nicecream? It's just frozen bananas blended until it looks and tastes like ice cream, then flavored however you'd like (eg with frozen strawberries to make strawberry ice cream, with raw cacao powder to make chocolate nice cream etc). It's freaking awesome and way better than ice cream imo.
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you want the dessert feel without the ice cream Dole Dippers are awesome for dessert. Frozen fruit (pineapple, strawberry, or banana) dipped in dark chocolate. Calories range from 60=100 per serving. Thought you might like it as an alternative:)
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Almond Dream mint chocolate is amazing.

Tofutti make a dairy free ice cream sandwich which is also lovely.