Do you have a time after which you don't eat anything?

Options
I don't eat after 7. I've read that you should stop eating 3-4 hours before bed and seeing that I'm an early sleeper this works for me. What about you? Do you stop eating after a certain time or do you eat as you need to?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I'm asleep. ;)

For me, I eat up to about 11:30pm each day. I resume again at after 12:00pm. And no I don't work swing shifts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter unless it interferes with your sleep, but I prefer not to snack so usually don't eat after dinner+dessert if I have it. I tend to eat dinner pretty late, though -- after 9. I lost lots of weight with no problem doing this.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I go to bed at night and start eating about an hour after I wake up in the morning. For most of this last year I ate dinner at 7 PM and generally had a snack between 9PM and midnight and have still lost weight because it fit in my calorie goal.

It doesn't really matter for weight loss when you eat as long as you stick to your calorie goal.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    When I go to sleep.

Often right up until I turn off the light.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I've run out of calories for the day. Seriously, if you are calorie counting, time of day makes no difference for your meals. The only way I'd consider not eating after a specific time of day is if it was interfering with my ability to sleep.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I do close the kitchen past a certain time frame.

It helped me to stop mindlessly snacking at night, plus I'm able to digest and get an evening workout in most days.

The total amount of calories for the day matter though, not timing.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there is a certain magical time or anything. But I generally try not to eat after 8. We eat dinner pretty early, between 5-6:30 most nights. So if I have dessert it's still well before 8. For me it helps to do my nightly flossing and brushing routine as soon as I'm done eating, and then I feel like any food or drink (besides water) is "not worth it" to have to floss and brush all over again.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    When I run out of calories.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Yup, this for me too.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Yup, this for me too.

Double yup!
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I started brushing and flossing right after dinner to help me avoid eating additional calories that I didn't need. This was several years ago, now it's more of a habit than anything, so I don't eat anything most days after 7pm.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    I've been known to nod off whilst still chewing.

I'm not even kidding.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I'm usually pretty full for the day once I eat dinner...about 6 or 7 pm....rarely will have a piece of fruit or something after that, but overall, that's it for me till about 9 or 10 the next morning. I've lost over 78 bs doing that...6 of them in the last 5 weeks with MFP.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    No, but I don't generally eat after 8pm unless I was really busy that evening or it is Friday.
  • kayleigh9989
    kayleigh9989 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I generally stop eating around 6pm. I find I'm not hungry in the morning when I do that, although if I eat late the night before I wake up really hungry! x
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't eat dinner until 9:30 once a week. If I were to have a cutoff time, then I wouldn't be eating at all.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after going to bed, or before getting out of bed. I don't like food in the bedroom. But I typically eat right right up to bed time. I prefer to eat most of my calories at night. It feels natural to me as that's how we ate when I was a child.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'll join the I don't eat while sleeping group. I typically don't eat anything within an hour of going to sleep, but that is more due to eating all of my calories for the day or not particularly wanting anything.

I'm personally waiting for the sleep eater to show up and say never!
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    WastedGetsSmaller Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    5pm. 6pm at an absolute stretch.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    We usually eat dinner between 7 and 7:30PM and desert, which may be considered a late night snack, is around 8:30PM. No more food after that, just water. Bed time is around 11:30PM so I have no problems with digestion or with GERD. Breakfast is around 9AM but when I have fitness classes in the morning I will have breakfast between 7:30 and 8AM. So basically I "fast" for 12 hrs. It works for me.