Weekly meal prep

Options
emmoen
emmoen Posts: 218 Member
What do you make? How long does it tak you to prep for the week? Calories count for the day? Any tips, info... Would be appreciated. I would like a meal plan about 14-1500 calories a day

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Especially in winter time, I tend to do a lot of soups. they're easy to thaw and eat, warm for the winter, and you can easily add in other foods when you serve them, like rice, or sour cream and chives, etc...
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    25jgaivqm4u6.jpeg
    This is some of the meal prep I did yesterday. I don't do every meal but enough that I don't have any excuse not to eat healthy. I have roasted chicken, baked salmon and a couple breakfasts with just eggs.
  • The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    What's with the letters on the eggs @tat2cookie ? lol
  • SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I do better with routine. Lunch is always chicken, celery, baby cut carrots (or I might prep carrots myself) an apple (with skin) and a serving of triscuits.

I put 5 pounds of chicken breasts in the crock pot with some lowry's seasonings and cook for most of the afternoon. Then I pull it out and trim any fat off and dice into two 2-cup containers and freeze one. That gives me 5 lunches per container.

I buy two bunches of celery, cut off the bottoms, very small "branches" and at the top wherever there is a good break, wash and wrap in paper towels and put back into the bag (I researched celery storage and this works!) - one bag per week.

The broth in the bottom of the crock pot gets strained, then skim off fat, chop and add celery tops, measure and add water up to 2 cups and make brown rice for dinner one night. Before cooking the rice, I put a cup of broccoli slaw on top for added veggies. When done I store in the fridge for later that week.

I have a dry erase board on my fridge so I have meals on the right and shopping list on the left. As I use up ingredients I add to the shopping list. Before I go shopping I take a snapshot of the list with my phone.

Often when I make something, there is a secondary use for leftovers or part of the meal.

That rice is served with turkey kielbasa and unsweetened natural applesauce. That's one of those quick dinner nights - I slice and brown the kielbasa in a deep skillet and toss in the rice at the end long enough to warm it and dinner is done.

When I get a pound of 93% lean ground beef, I use half in chili and double the beans and tomatoes. The other half I use in spaghetti sauce along with more of the broccoli slaw for added vegetable punch and fiber - along with whole grain spaghetti.

Baked acorn squash stuffed with browned sausage and a green vegetable - I use half of the sausage per squash (only 2 of us). (i.e. quarter pound of sausage per squash half = one serving)

The other half of the sausage I use in a quiche along with a can of drained chopped spinach. It adds lots of flavor and since it's browned/crumbled, it's well drained to remove a lot of the fat. Served with the applesauce or fruit.

I save the ends of loaves of wheat bread, dry them and crush with a rolling pin and use for breadcrumbs. I brush fish filets with olive oil and coat in breadcrumbs, sprinkle with dill or lemon pepper and cook in non-stick pan. Also use broccoli slaw to actually make slaw (blanch slightly first) as a side for the fish along with steamed veggies.

Leftover fish gets crumbled, add an egg and old bay/seasonings and breadcrumbs to make fish cakes along with any veggies.

Hope this gives you some good ideas for lean protein and minimal waste! If I knew when I would use the broccoli I could make my own broccoli slaw with the stems but I buy frozen florets. Hmmmm....

• igsalem
    igsalem Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • igsalem
    igsalem Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That's my issue too...love avocado's, but hate how quickly they turn brown. I was trying to figure out the letters on the eggs to.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    GSlate wrote: »

HAHA, yeah! I was wondering the same. What do the letters stand for lol @tat2cookie
    I'm trying to make wild guesses here. R = Raw, H = Hardboiled?
  • tat2cookie
    Options
    votkuhr wrote: »
    GSlate wrote: »

HAHA, yeah! I was wondering the same. What do the letters stand for lol @tat2cookie
    I'm trying to make wild guesses here. R = Raw, H = Hardboiled?

Lol yes that's what it means.
  • tat2cookie
    Options
    amazing pictures above - have to try that, but
    wouldn't that avocado turn brown?
    avocado tastes like paper if frozen
    I dip them in a honey/lime solution which helps, but the brown doesn't bother me.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    For the work week, breakfast is always 1/2c of egg whites, 1/3 bell pepper, 1/4 onion, and some random amount of mushrooms, sauteed. I usually will add 2 slices of Canadian bacon. Then I make 40g snack bags of cinnamon and spice 5 grain hot cereal. I have an electric kettle at work at my desk for this.

My lunch is broken into a pre and post work out snack. One of them is always 1c of homemade non-fat Greek yogurt with either berries and vanilla flavoring or homemade reduced sugar apple butter flavoring. The other can be a portioned cup of last night's leftovers or I keep vacuum packs of tuna and crispbread at my desk. My work has free coffee and sugar free cocoa, so I often make a mocha to go with it.

I eat the lion's share of my calories after work.
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    @tat2cookie awesome pic! good discussion.

@SpecialKH you're extremely organized, I can only strive to that level! I'm lucky if I can bake some chicken breasts and steam/bake some sweet potatoes and steam some kale.........that's the extent of my preps for the week.
  • nicjbar73
    nicjbar73 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i prep 1day a week. (feeds5) make ahead bfast sandwiches(egg/meat/cheese on english muffins(bagels for 1on weight gain)& bfast burritos wrap in plastic wrap (freeze)then 1.5 mins in micro in am. make 1pasta dishx2,1rice dishx2,1soupx3,chilix3. cook sausage,bacon,6lbs chicken breast all in oven & make up25 salads( with paper towel to keep fresh) this normally takes 4hrs by myself but then im done for week & mornings are easier;) lunches covered(1/2chick breast goes into sand bag frozen in am, thawed by lunch)everyones covered & i feel like theyve gotten good meals. i add fresh spinach or kale to bfast sand in am also. along with snacks this covers my 1200 cals& add more for 1on weight gain. bfast meat can be froze after cooked, wax paper between for easy cook in am too.anything left from soups,chili goes in freezer for easy meal later after day 4
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    On Sundays I make a big pot of a veggie and bean soup which I bring to work for lunches. I also do nut-snack packs and mango-snack packs as necessary (when I run out). Some things, like smoothies and measuring out milk for my protein shake, I do the night before (which reminds me I need to get on doing both before I get too tired). The night before is when I also actually pack the non-fridge food items I bring with me (fruit, mango snack-pack) which I also consider meal prep. :smile:

In the past, I have done smoothie freezer packs, where it's all measured and I can just grab from the freezer already done; but since I have to blend it regardless (and I don't have enough containers to freeze the finished product in) and it takes me little time to make the smoothie, I try to keep it as fresh as possible. I am looking into finding more milk jugs though; and I have three smaller jars which I use for protein powder so I only have to measure that out every three days. :smile: I'm looking into getting a few more, so I can do that on Sunday as well.

As for how long it takes; when I do my snack packs it can take a while (shelling pistachios for instance) and since I tend to do 15-20 at a time. I usually do them when I'm watching tv though, so I don't "notice it". The soup is quick; it depends entirely on if I'm using pre-cooked beans or if I have dry ones though. If I have dry ones, I have to plan in time to soak and cook them before using (no crock pot). But the soup itself takes about 20 minutes (because of the lentils).
  • broncos1982
    broncos1982 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I get a bag of frozen chicken breast and throw it in a crockpot, shread it once it's done. then on one meal i'll do cheese, another bbq, ect.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    igsalem wrote: »
    That's my issue too...love avocado's, but hate how quickly they turn brown. I was trying to figure out the letters on the eggs to.

If you store an avocado in a sealed container with a cut onion, it lasts for several days without turning brown. This is by far the most effective method I have used.

• Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing R = raw and H = hard boiled?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Cant give you a meal plan.. but I grill a bunch of chicken breasts on Sunday and I make fajitas, salads, I pre make sauce and will have a Parmesan with the chicken, sometimes it is just with veggies.. In the summertime, I am big on chicken and fish..

In the fall/winter.. crock pot is my budget friend and also I can make 8 - 10 servings of chilli, soups, desserts, breakfast, sauces and food freezes well if you get tired of the meals and want something else...
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    igsalem wrote: »

If you store an avocado in a sealed container with a cut onion, it lasts for several days without turning brown. This is by far the most effective method I have used.

I've heard of this, too, and that the avocado doesn't smell like an onion either.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My calorie count: ~1400/day
    Breakfasts:
    Egg bake (eggs, bacon, cheese, and jalapeños - or whatever combo you like) ~250cals
    Grits (I'm from the South) + bacon + fruit = ~280cals
    Egg Muffin + cream cheese + turkey sausage links = ~280 cals

Lunch:
    usually leftovers, but smaller portions: ~300-400 cals
    Tuna salad on open-faced sandwich + leftover veggies = ~350 cals
    Taco Tuesday (with tuna) + pico de gallo, mac-n-cheese (or rice) = ~380 cals
    Wendy's grilled chicken sandwich = 370 cals (Chick-fil-A's is 320) just watch sodium
    Salad = ~200-400 cals

Dinner:
    Protein + veggie + pasta (or bread) = ~500-600 cals
    Last night we had mini-meatloaves (muffin tins) + mac-n-cheese + roasted corn
    Chicken + roasted brussel sprouts + couscous
    Pork tenderloin + roasted carrots and parsnips + cabbage
    Pizza (BBQ chicken with onions is one of my favorites)

Snacks/Alcohol: ~100-200 cals/day
    String cheese
    Pretzels
    Guacamole (with raw veggies)
    Fruit (bananas are on the higher end of cals)
    Veggie straws
    Chips/Chex Mix

I'll try to upload pics later.

I've also done like PP's and grilled enough chicken for salads for the week, make a casserole and portion it out for lunches, and make extra @ dinner, etc. HTH!