Last Supper Syndrome

Options
2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've been "starting" a diet for nearly a year. Each day stuffing my face (net gaining) through feeble justification of a healthier me tomorrow, that never came.
    I've got the principles to start, MFP app, healthy food, workout gear...it's just the motivation/self love that I'm worth this discomfort to just make it through the first 3 days. (Haha...that's the point where I'm at, a realistic goal is to make it through 3 days without binging)
    Any tips? Any Advice? Anyone is the same boat?

Actually, what is your goal set to? If you are like me and most others you set it to lose 2 pounds per week. Change it to one pound per week and it's not as hard. This doesn't have to be painful.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I think we see this "diet" as black or white, you are on a DIET, or not....rather than just a gradual shift to healthier eating and lifestyle change.

Just make one goal a week, maybe than this week your goal will be to not eat out, or reduce fat, or carbs...or just choose a salad for dinner one night this week, instead of pizza. Or just add 1 hour of exercise to your schedule this week. That is a positive change.

You can't make a radical lifestyle change, and expect immediate results. That is set up for fail.
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me was to identify my worst times for binge eating... such as late at night when I watch a TV show (I was snacking and eating a lot). Some nights I just go to sleep earlier... some nights I paint my nails while watching so my hands are occupied, or 'multitask by browsing on my laptop while I watch... and some nights I prepare by having a bag of baby carrots or a bowl of cut up fruit and allow myself to binge eat that. At least it is healthy and very low in calories and satisfies my desire to chew on something. It is very hard to make these changes but with some planning ahead you can do it.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Rather than looking at this as "starting a diet" (i.e., starting a life sentence), resolve to eat whatever you want, whenever you want, but ADD in healthy foods to what you are already eating. Do you like fruit? What kind? Step one is ADD one piece of fresh fruit every day. Don't remove anything, don't limit any other foods, just ADD one piece of fruit. Try that for a week. Then resolve to ADD four glasses of water each day in addition to your piece of fresh fruit. The following week, ADD one fresh vegetable to your diet each day. You will find that by adding healthy foods to what you are already eating, you have to think about and plan some of your food choices each day. Build on that weekly by adding in one healthy meal each day (i.e., a lean meat, broiled or baked, a fresh vegetable and a small portion of carbs) and now you are getting in the habit of planning one meal each day. Don't deprive yourself and it won't seem like a "diet".
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I've been "starting" a diet for nearly a year. Each day stuffing my face (net gaining) through feeble justification of a healthier me tomorrow, that never came.
    I've got the principles to start, MFP app, healthy food, workout gear...it's just the motivation/self love that I'm worth this discomfort to just make it through the first 3 days. (Haha...that's the point where I'm at, a realistic goal is to make it through 3 days without binging)
    Any tips? Any Advice? Anyone is the same boat?

Actually, what is your goal set to? If you are like me and most others you set it to lose 2 pounds per week. Change it to one pound per week and it's not as hard. This doesn't have to be painful.

with only 30 pounds to lose, why not just put it to "lose .5 a week?" take it slow and steady. and eat more in the meantime. :)
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it takes more than three days to get started. You're going to slip up. If you can learn that eating over your goal one day or having a piece of food you didn't plan for another is NOT FAILURE it's just part of the whole thing, it will be easier. Take your time. Don't expect perfection right out of the gate. If you need to start with small goals and work your way up, do it.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the posts above. Start eating at maintenance for a couple days (this already may be less than you normally eat), then gradually drop 100 calories over the next couple days and then more until you reach the deficit you are looking for. Do this over a couple weeks. Maybe the whole "jumping in" thing and feeling deprived just doesn't work for you at this point hence the year of starting and stopping. Maybe it's just easier to start smaller and work on consistency with that first. Even a small deficit will gradually give you some fat loss over the weeks. Good Luck!
  • jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    trixieloo wrote: »
    In my experience, it takes more than three days to get started. You're going to slip up. If you can learn that eating over your goal one day or having a piece of food you didn't plan for another is NOT FAILURE it's just part of the whole thing, it will be easier. Take your time. Don't expect perfection right out of the gate. If you need to start with small goals and work your way up, do it.

Such good advice! I have had so many binges and "days off" and even "that six weeks around christmas where I gain 10 lbs" pretty much once a year for the last four years... if I'd given up each time that happened, I wouldn't be 110 lbs lighter today.

Easing into it is definitely the way to go.... make one small change now, and when you feel comfortable with that, move onto the next small change. Over time, they will add up! It's not a sprint, it's a marathon.
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    Wow, what a great post this is. Nobody got snarky or rude. Actual sincere advice. How strange, and how helpful. Thank you for your posts. I'm in this boat--serious last supper thinking is making me fatter and fatter. I found it happened more after I read Intuitive Eating which is where I first heard the phrase Last supper eating. Maybe knowing I'm not the only one who does it has given me an excuse to keep doing it?
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    I suggest getting some graph paper, number a line of the little boxes 1 - 24 and fill in a little square for every hour that you didn't binge. Start with one day one hour at a time. Sleeping hours are free! I did this when I loved to drink soda.

by the way, I love this advice.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Sad to see but it doesn't look like the original OP actually ever got started. Imagine how much weight she could have lost if she had just started back in March.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Sad to see but it doesn't look like the original OP actually ever got started. Imagine how much weight she could have lost if she had just started back in March.

Sometimes the timing sucks and things happen that make it harder to start. What if they had a child that died? What if they lost their job and have been working three jobs to make ends meet? What if their spouse left them and they ended up losing their house plus all sense of stability in the process?

Pointing out that someone could have made progress is more likely to make them feel like crap than make them want to make a change. You can't shame someone into health or weight loss.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I'm a little shop crazy. To start out I would buy myself something I wanted in exchange for blowing off that 600 calorie Daz Bog chiller. I now have a delightful new curling wand, higher quality make up, and a nice bedding set AND 14 LBS DOWN! Take a hard look at the things you deny yourself on a regular basis. Maybe for you it's a new videogame (don't panic, she can play while stair stepping, that's what I do) or companionship? Or a ticket for the local theme park? (Think how much you'll walk between rides!). Find out the things you are denying yourself that AREN'T food, there's always something (and it doesn't have to be expensive), and trade off. It makes a world of difference.