Repeat the same schedule for another round or switch to a different one?

Options
Hello everyone~ Finally it's time for me to ask this question here! For those who've tried P90X3 (or any other program that provides different workout schedules), would you recommend repeating the same schedule for a second time or switching to the option focusing more on toning to keep reducing fat and gain (or at least maintain) muscle mass?

I started my second round of P90X3 (Classic) this July and am about to finish it in three weeks. It's actually my first time close to completing this program (didn't miss a work out except for the scheduled rest day). My first round was a mess and I spent about 4 months to reach the last block, so I wouldn't consider my first attempt successful as all (& can't really compare the difference between results of these two rounds). I'd like to keep toning up & reduce my body fat % more, but I'm wondering if I should just repeat the same schedule and switch to X3-Lean later since I can't really perform every move in the standard form yet.

Btw, the changes I got so far for this round: about 2 kg lighter, half inch smaller (waist), and increased upper body strength (doing much better with kneeling form push-ups and am still working on the standard form).

Any input is appreciated & thanks in advance! :smile:

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    First of all the community is going to knock down the word "toning" in your message (LOL :):) ). And how do you know what your body fat percentage is?

As far as changing the workout.. is your progress gotten "stale".. are you still reaping benefits today as you did when you got into this really good and started seeing things happen?

I am all for changing up the routine/program.. The body becomes adapt and progress does halt.

I need to mix things up.. not only for boredom but I have to keep seeing results.. so if it working and keeping you going why change it... When your progress halts, time to def change it.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    First of all the community is going to knock down the word "toning" in your message (LOL :):) ). And how do you know what your body fat percentage is?

As far as changing the workout.. is your progress gotten "stale".. are you still reaping benefits today as you did when you got into this really good and started seeing things happen?

I am all for changing up the routine/program.. The body becomes adapt and progress does halt.

I need to mix things up.. not only for boredom but I have to keep seeing results.. so if it working and keeping you going why change it... When your progress halts, time to def change it.

Oops for that phrase... really... don't fry me yet... please >"<

Well, to be honest I really don't know the actual number of my body fat % anymore... I used to believe my scale for that matter, but now (I supposed to know more after all these days) I don't really know if I should trust anything on scale other than my weight. I know it changes a lot throughout the day, so I used to use what I saw as a reference range, but now I know there could be a (+/-) 6% difference (forget where I saw this & am not sure if it's 6%, but that decreases the accuracy a lot) and it means I could be way outside of the range I thought I was in...

On the other hand, I thought my waist measurement should at least be more trustworthy than bf% on scale, and thus I "assume" my bf% is dropping somewhere when I see a smaller number on the measuring tape. I think I'm describing a general status I currently have: start to feel the progress in performance, muscle strength, and pace when I'm following the video but not totally there yet. I can also feel the change (more solid) throughout my body and less floppy parts compared to 2 months ago, but it's just not the result I want (yet).

You're right. I didn't feel the same like when I was finishing the last two blocks, and I'm not seeing the results as obvious as before neither. This might be why I ended up stopping at the 3rd block in my first round. I didn't see myself improving when I'm in the last few weeks of the program and would really like to do something else...

I guess it's the idea of "not finishing up" that blocks my thought... :blush: Thanks for the advice~ I know what to do now :smile:
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think if you are happy with your progress and not bored then you can repeat your current schedule. If you want to focus on something different like gaining mass or if you want some variety or just need something new to keep goin then change. I would say if you repeat a round you may want to do a recovery week or two between the two rounds.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think if you are happy with your progress and not bored then you can repeat your current schedule. If you want to focus on something different like gaining mass or if you want some variety or just need something new to keep goin then change. I would say if you repeat a round you may want to do a recovery week or two between the two rounds.

Yeah I think being able to feel excited (or at least not feeling bored) when I do those workout routines is a good way to see if I should continue doing the same thing. I'm thinking about doing a week or two mixed workouts that I really like and start the schedule again (need more weight-training but I like cardio more). Thanks for the suggestion :smile: