I need abs before Spring/ Summer 2016!!!

Options
This cold weather just makes me think up a master plan I'll be doing for "hibernation" time this winter.
I've lost 100 lbs total the last two past winters.
But now its time for some dang abs!!!
Mainly obliques and upper, going into your lower back.
My question is... Do you have to eat super lean to achieve this????
I don't necessarily eat toooo lean, but I eat well. Because I want thick, strong muscles instead of the leaner kind.
So basically, how would you eat to get a defined core, (not 6 pack) and still gain a thick build? :)

Reply or message, even macro wise!!

Replies

• ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would eat in a deficit and keep going until I have a low enough bf% to see my abs.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you want to see your abs, you have to lose the fat to reveal them. You can't make "lean" or "thick" muscles. You can grow them, keep them the same, or lose them. I suggest lifting/strength training in a deficit to save lean body mass. That way you'll have something to reveal once your body fat% is low enough.

Here is a helpful thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    CardiLuxe wrote: »
    This cold weather just makes me think up a master plan I'll be doing for "hibernation" time this winter.
    I've lost 100 lbs total the last two past winters.
    But now its time for some dang abs!!!
    Mainly obliques and upper, going into your lower back.
    My question is... Do you have to eat super lean to achieve this????
    I don't necessarily eat toooo lean, but I eat well. Because I want thick, strong muscles instead of the leaner kind.
    So basically, how would you eat to get a defined core, (not 6 pack) and still gain a thick build? :)

Reply or message, even macro wise!!

You would eat at a deficit while following a progressive lifting routine until your body fat gets low enough. Two people linked a thread I wrote that is helpful. If your body fat is below 28% currently you can get there by summer. If your body fat is higher than that you may have to set your expectations lower.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If you want to be thick in the way I know the term, you want to keep your curves, not be too cut, and have some defined muscle :) That was exactly what I wanted! The advice and thread posted are all awesome.

If you are trying to have some ab definition at a higher bodyfat (like I do to keep my boobs and top hips), then you might seriously consider trying to put on muscle in the abs, so the muscles are larger. Since you'll be eating a deficit, that won't happen unless you still have newb gains left to gain, or if you had large abs at some point before.

But if you do targeted, weighted ab work on top of your lifting, it's sure not going to hurt, deficit or no! Depending on where you carry your fat, you might see definition at a higher bodyfat anyway (I do for the top 3/4 of my abs). I carry lots of weight in my whole abdomen when I'm overweight, so I only see them when I'm relatively lean. But I don't have to get to really low bodyfat to see the parts you are talking about. I do do targeted ab work (and I think it's fun) :grin: Good luck!
  • CardiLuxe
    CardiLuxe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That was soooo perfect! :)@cafeaulait7 You get me! I definitely will do. Thanks hun.