First Marathon Sunday

paxbfl
paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
In 2012 I was 50 pounds overweight. From the extra weight my knees hurt all the time. I decided that my running days were over. Then I discovered MFP.

I did MFP pretty consistently and worked out hard - mostly on an elliptical that was pretty kind on my knees. As the weight came off, I decided to try running again. I did a run-walk program to gradually built up to running 30 minutes nonstop.

After losing over 40 pounds, I was running regularly and feeling great. I did a 5K "color run" and felt strong - I had to force myself to walk through the color stations because I just wanted to run.

In September 2013 I ran a 6-mile leg of a marathon relay and really enjoyed it. In October I ran my first half-marathon since returning to running and surprised myself with a PR under 2 hours. On that day I decided to tackle a goal that seemed so impossible just a short time before: run a marathon.

It has taken me 3 years to get to this point, but on Sunday I'll run the Marine Corps Marathon. I've done the training and am ready. I feel so good coming out of the training that I'm already thinking of future races I can do.

If you're just starting this process, don't think about you can't do. The human body is amazing - you are capable of so much more than you realize. The key is getting your mind in the right place. Once you decide what's really important and make that decision to get in shape, there is literally nothing you can't do.

Replies

• wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Grats! It's amazing how even 20 lbs can affect your body! Hope you have a blast!
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    I'm training for my first half marathon in March after starting a run/walk program in August 2014. Before that I didn't run ANYWHERE! Now my brain is trying to trick me into signing up for a full marathon. Looking forward to hearing your results!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Wow. That is fantastic. Good luck on Sunday. :mrgreen:
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    Fantastic! Congrats!!!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! My husband is running MCM Sunday too (he's lost 35 lbs), I'm running the 10K. Good luck!
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Good luck to you and your husband too! That's awesome!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Awesome comeback ! Good luck in the race.
  • LisaPrust
    LisaPrust Posts: 93 Member
    So encouraging to read this! Thanks for sharing your journey to running-cross your fingers for me to follow in your footsteps!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Well done indeed! Hope you have a lovely day :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!