I'm getting really frusrated!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You need to log your weekends. Focus on having a 7 day deficit. You do not need to eat more. You are maintaining/gaining because you are eating too many calories.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I saw a few days of overeating the calories suggested by MFP. and of course the days that are blank. I think it is a maintenance type scenario here..

I say do not eat the exercise calories back and actually eat the recommended calories setup in your MFP plan and try this for at least three weeks... The 7 day deficit may be a good idea since there are days that are several hundred over..
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    OP is not maintaining, OP said she gained. 4 pounds.

Possible hormones are causing water retention. Are you ovulating, or near TOM?

Do you have a record of what your weight has been every day for the past 4-6 weeks? What is the trend? Right before you 'gained' 4 pounds did you 'lose' 6 or 7?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    So much misinformation here. I can't even...
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    I tend to only log Mon-Fri and write down at the weekends

Your problem is simple: inconsistency. It's quite clear that you're doing a lot of estimating and your logging likely isn't all that accurate. Another issue is that you're focusing way too much on your exercise. Weight loss happens in the kitchen. Eating back some exercise calories is fine as long as you maintain a deficit, but guessing at calories consumed and calories burned is a recipe for disaster.

You're either:
    1. Eating more than you think.
    2. Not burning as much as you think.
    3. Both.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's #3. You need to tighten down and be more accurate and consistent. Weigh out all of your food using a food scale. Log every single day, every single bite. It may seem like a pain, but it becomes a habit quickly. You probably saw better results on Weight Watchers because they take all of the leg work out of it. You don't have to have any accountability because their point system does it for you. That might sound really great and definitely more convenient, but programs like WW teach you NOTHING about controlling your own intake/diet/weight. Put in the work and you'll see results.

Finally, let's talk about this:
    I eat relatively well in the week

What does that mean? What is eating "well"? Simple fact: If you eat 2500 calories (just a random number) worth of carrots and celery, you'll see the exact same numbers on the scale as if you ate 2500 calories of donuts and pizza (minus water weight). Making nutritionally dense food choices is great, but it's not really relevant when we're just talking about fat loss. Eating "well" is for your health - if you want to lose fat, it's calories in vs. calories out. Simply eating "healthy" ain't gonna cut it if you're not in a deficit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, it sounds like you are focusing too much on exercise and not enough on your diet.

If you don't have a food scale, get one. Use it and log EVERYTHING for a month, including weekends. You need to have an accurate idea of your calories in, before any other advice is needed.

Exercise is great for health & fitness and to buy you a few extra calories, but getting your "calories in" in line is your best bet. It is way easier to eat an extra 200 calories without noticing than it is to exercise off 200 calories.

You can do this, just don't go out of your way to make it too complicated. Good luck!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It also takes time. Be patient!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I do an intensive workout 25 min a day 6 days a week. My shirt is drenched, my HR is great, and I can't hold a conversation. I put in 98 calories a day as my workouts are different each day. My HR monitor has a hard time with the weights and abs. I put in sedentary for MFP and a half pound a week. I get to eat 1200 cal per day plus the 98.

I'm losing 0.5# a week. I weigh and log everything. I do that because I was gaining and didn't know why. Now I might not lose 0.5# one week but seem to lose 2# a month regardless. If I were you I would not eat more!

There has been great advice posted. Just tighten up your logging and estimate under on the exercise. You'll start losing again.
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I think my probem is definately over estimating my calorie burn and of course eating them back which means over eating...Im going to stick to my 1270 for the next few weeks and see if that helps and try not to eat back my exercise calories as its clear I am well over estimating..
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I think my probem is definately over estimating my calorie burn and of course eating them back which means over eating...Im going to stick to my 1270 for the next few weeks and see if that helps and try not to eat back my exercise calories as its clear I am well over estimating..

Tighten up your logging and you will be fine. Also you are doing well dropping a dress size and losing inches
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Try green tea. Three times a day. Morning, afternoon (half an hour after lunch, and before bed. In the morning it will hold off hunger for a while and also wakes you up. Afternoon, mainly after lunch, it will help in digesting the food faster. Before bed, it will help your body get rid of the toxins while you're asleep.

Overall, it helps boost your metabolism, and after three months of doing this, switch to Oolong tea. Its twice as effective as green tea. Or just continue green tea.

Lets just say, the bathroom will be your best friend

I love tea, especially oolong. But.... NO
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't lose at 1200 calories. As much as you are working out, that is not nearly enough. Try eating more, it worked for me. My happy number is between 1600-1700.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Fit4LifeAR wrote: »
    I don't lose at 1200 calories. As much as you are working out, that is not nearly enough. Try eating more, it worked for me. My happy number is between 1600-1700.
    Personally, I've never found that eating too few calories slows my weight loss and that eating more calories will help me lose weight. Most of us on here are of the opinion that if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose weight (CICO- or, calories in, calories out). If you eat "too few" calories, in the long run, it isn't healthy. In the short run you might find you have lower energy and are more tired. Also, if you're trying to build muscle at the same time that will be difficult.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    Fit4LifeAR wrote: »
    Personally, I've never found that eating too few calories slows my weight loss and that eating more calories will help me lose weight. Most of us on here are of the opinion that if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose weight (CICO- or, calories in, calories out). If you eat "too few" calories, in the long run, it isn't healthy. In the short run you might find you have lower energy and are more tired. Also, if you're trying to build muscle at the same time that will be difficult.

Totally agree with this! While eating too few calories might make you tired or you'll find you're grumpy with little energy all the time, it will definitely not slow down weight loss. In fact, if you're eating too few calories AND have some type of work out routine you will probably lose quite quickly.

In the short term and long term it's really not healthy though. In the short term, you'll be grumpy all the time and really tired with very little energy to expend, your workouts will suffer. In the long term, if you can sustain it, the effects are much greater: your vital organs could be deprived of nutrients, nails and teeth get brittle, and so on (of course that depends on how little you're eating over how long of a period).

I personally eat to perform. The weight loss is approximately 1lb/week give or take but when I did body composition testing I have just shy of 140lbs of LBM on me. I'm 5'10 and weigh approx 255lbs. I am not an elite athlete, but I can lift heavy and I run 5 and 10K distances. I prefer the fitness aspect of things, so I choose my foods accordingly and increasing my performance and fitness levels are really important to me right now.

That being said, I get not everyone has those goals so it's all personal preference of course :)