Colon Cleanse

Options
beauty_beast92
beauty_beast92 Posts: 8 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone done a colon cleanse to aid in weight loss? Is it effective? Ineffective? Other thoughts?
Thank you!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Completely unnecessary, not good for you and no weight loss benefits. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/821828
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You are new, but this is a hot topic--do a search and you'll see. They can be very dangerous, and are totally bogus. There's alot of hype in the media--don't be suckered in.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Colon clense = using laxatives to remove all the *kitten* (literally) from your body so you step on the scale and instead of you being full of *kitten*, the scale is. Weight comes back the second your colon is full again. Weighing before and after you poop will have pretty much the same result.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Are you having a colonoscopy soon? Haven't had a BM in a few days?

If no to both of those, I'd suggest not taking extra stimulants for your intestines. Add some extra fiber every day... Maybe go all veggies, fruit and beans for a couple days while making sure to drink lots of water... But actual stimulants to make me poo?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    where is a vomiting smiley when I need one?
    Oh no wait, I need a diarrhea smiley

No OP weight loss does not require torturing yourself
  • katrn05
    katrn05 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ugh, why would anyone do that to themselves?
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Unless you're booked in for a colonoscopy... No.
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Even for a colonoscopy, it might be disappointing. I was kind of hoping I'd see a drop in weight (very short term, I know, just curious how much it would drop) after mine, but no. Almost a week of scouring does nothing but make you feel horrible.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    starling01 wrote: »
    Even for a colonoscopy, it might be disappointing. I was kind of hoping I'd see a drop in weight (very short term, I know, just curious how much it would drop) after mine, but no. Almost a week of scouring does nothing but make you feel horrible.

A week, cripes. Sorry for that. I've occasionally thought of getting a bottle of citromag (the stuff you take before a colonoscopy. a "purgative") to clean out the pipes to see the before and after on the scale. That stuff is a one evening affair. I can't imagine doing a week long cleaning out.

But to OP, no. You don't need to. Your colon cleanses itself every time you go number two. Additionally and somewhat related, you don't need any sort of detox foolishness, because if a "toxin" (bodily wastes, pesticide residue, etc) CAN be removed from your body, your liver and kidneys do a fine job. If a substance can't be removed from the body by the kidneys and liver (mercury and other heavy metals, for example, is pretty hard for your body to process) no tea, compress, pill or potion will help.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Colon clense = using laxatives to remove all the *kitten* (literally) from your body so you step on the scale and instead of you being full of *kitten*, the scale is. Weight comes back the second your colon is full again. Weighing before and after you poop will have pretty much the same result.

I think this is the best summary of a cleanse I have ever seen on here....
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »

IFLY
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Another thing - which I discovered by accident after getting the worst stomach bug of my life on a trip to Tanzania which required I be put on a drip after 4 days of sitting on the toilet - your *nice* intestinal bacteria - the ones which are essential - are very disrupted by a total clean-out and it can take them months to recover. This is not a good thing and my doctor had to put me on all sorts of things as well as a special diet to correct it.
  • beauty_beast92
    beauty_beast92 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's what I figured! I just needed a second opinion. Thanks
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    Another thing - which I discovered by accident after getting the worst stomach bug of my life on a trip to Tanzania which required I be put on a drip after 4 days of sitting on the toilet - your *nice* intestinal bacteria - the ones which are essential - are very disrupted by a total clean-out and it can take them months to recover. This is not a good thing and my doctor had to put me on all sorts of things as well as a special diet to correct it.

I had an awful gastro virus two years ago that was similar to this and it took my body months to recover and be normal again in that department. It was horrid.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done a colon cleanse to aid in weight loss? Is it effective? Ineffective? Other thoughts?
    Thank you!

Ineffective, unnecessary, scam!!! Anytime you hear the words cleanse, detox or juice you need to hide your money and run!!!!
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    That's what I figured! I just needed a second opinion. Thanks

I'm glad we were able to convince you otherwise! There's a lot of bogus science out there when it comes to weight loss, and colon cleansers are almost at the top of that list. Best of luck :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I had a colonoscopy scheduled recently. Went through the prep. Got dehydrated. It induced a migraine. I was vomiting uncontrollably and got to the point I had dry heaves. I ended I canceling the appointment.

I had to reschedule the appointment so I get to cleanse again! What fun!!!! Not. We've scheduled closer to my migraine botox injections with a different prep kit and they've given me the first morning appointment. Hopefully all will go well that morning.

BTW? My weight before and after prepping? Exactly the same.

Cleanses are completely unnecessary and do nothing in terms of fat loss.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ineffective, except to lose temporary water weight and make you clean the toilet.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Ineffective, except to lose temporary water weight and make you clean the toilet.

Ugh!!! She's right you know :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have done a colon cleanse andlost 5.8 lbs overnight. I didn't do it for weight loss though, I was having a colonoscopy. I don't recommend it. Mostly you lose water and poo and it's only temporary. And it is most decidedly NOT fun.