too stressful!

Options
I was very good with my eating several months ago and excercised 5x a week but found myself going crazy with stress about trying to loose weight so I gave up because my mind couldn't handle it. What kept going through my head...Am I eating too much sugar, am I not eating enough calories, I should eat my excercise calories or maybe I should only eat half, I am I not making the best food choices, , why am I not seeing results, maybe my body is getting adjusted or is it the starvation mode, maybe I should excercise less, I know I need to give it more time and so on and on making myself bonkers so I just quit. how do you not do this to yourself? I want to try again but I am worried that my head will be spinning again.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I was very obsessive about everything when I first started out. As I got closer to my goal weight (and then reached it) I started to relax some. I realized that I had to have faith in what I had learned through my journey. I didn't want to always obsess over every little calorie for the rest of my life.

I really think you just have to eat better, eat smaller portions, workout, drink water and see how your body reacts. If it isn't working - switch things up til you find something that DOES work. It's not easy to master, but you CAN do it!
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    most of us on here probably had /have the same problem-letting food be our god or have too much control over us. Sometimes dieters still let it control their lives, just in a different way. Athletes can also be obsessed, just by exercise. Got to find balance. For me, I have to make sure God is in control, not food, not immediate gratification, etc.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I have these thoughts too. It's sad, but sometimes I will not be able to fall asleep at night because I will be thinking about what I'm going to eat tomorrow and how healthy it's going to be... or can it be healthier. Should I eat the chicken or the fish?

I know I'm crazy - but at least I admit it to myself. Then I try to give myself a wake-up call and I coach myself to quit obsessing! I'm trying to be healthy dad nab it! So what's the rush? I've got the rest of my life to get it right. Just take it one day at a time. Don't worry about the scale tomorrow or next week or yesterday. Just focus on today. Eat your veggies, drink your water... just today.

Try to focus on the long term health benefits. Lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, stronger muscles, healthier heart and arteries, healthier skin, healthier organs. Cancer fighting benefits of veggies. Focus on those things. It's way less stressful if you say, "look what I'm doing - I'm taking care of myself - go me!" Then you can pat yourself on the back and go to sleep with a smile on your face. :)
  • lammermoor27
    Options
    Maybe try thinking about weight-loss differently. If you become too focused on the goal, you're going to miss the journey! This is your body, your life, and it isn't going to suddenly become perfect once you reach your goal, so why not learn to be happy and lose weight at the same time. You'll be much more likely to keep the weight off (so I read) if you're happy while you're doing it. The word "diet" really just describes a mode of eating. Listen to your body, because that will be a better long term way of reaching a state of health. Your body might just be changing composition. If you're going to eat food, eat food you love! If you're going to exercise, do what you enjoy! And anyway, stress releases cortisol, which actually encourages your body NOT to loose weight!

So, do and eat things you love, zen, and try again!
  • putnam80
    putnam80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    man, and i thought I had it bad when I wouldn't go out for my nightly walks, I was getting stressed because of not being able to clear my head.

anyway, this stuff isn't that hard or stressful. but, maybe i say this because i have a different view on nutrition as I have been Type 1 diabetes for 25 years. but either way. it should be mind clearing, not clogging your mind.

just try to stay under or around your calories every day, see how it goes. if its not going well, change something. just go out for walks, no need for stressful running. if you exercise more, you can eat more carbs. just play with it until you find what works for you. remember, this is a lifetime thing, not a this week or this month thing.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I went through this too. Questioning and worrying about everything and I drove myself nuts. It DOES get easier. Perfection is impossible, so just do your best every day then move on to the next. It's a process, not a switch that you can flip and suddenly have it all down.

Eat your calories according to plan, get a little exercise, and drink water. The rest will come.
  • AdGalicia
    AdGalicia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Try to focus on changing your lifestyle as oppose to changing your weight!!! I always have to remind myself that this is a long process, we cant change over night!
  • north35
    north35 Posts: 70
    Options
    I totally did the same thing (and still fight it sometimes) For me I switched my thought process. I am not doing this to lose weight......to look good in a pair of jeans etc......(that is just the icing on the cake) I am doing this for me, for my health, to show my kids how to be healthy. I want to feel good about myself and when I treat my body well I am so full of confidence and that goes for all aspects of my life. I don't struggle as much any more and I find it easier to fuel my body with healthier choices. I don't know, I hope I am making sense. Hugs many of us have been there.
  • rosaliabritt
    rosaliabritt Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breathe!!!! What worked for me was taking one day at a time and focusing on one change at a time.
    First off, just record your calories and try to stay on target with calories. Then, I focused on adding a bit of exercise.
    At first, I tried to put in 20 minutes at least 3x a week. I worked at this very slowly.... After I lost a few pounds, I
    started focusing a bit on sugars, carbs, sodium. But, I did not deny myself anything. If I had a craving, I had a
    bite or two. I also did not set myself up for failure, set unrealistic goals--I made a decision to try to eat better
    and focus on portions and just do the best I could...sometimes I succeeded, sometimes not. I did it one day
    at a time--and slowly but surely I have been losing weight. I did what I felt comfortable doing--and listened
    to my body. It is so easy to become overwhelmed with all the information, suggestions, opinions and such.
    BUT, you have to do what works for you--whats comfortable for you--for we are all different individuals.

Best of Luck--I know you can do it!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    you are probably doing too much at once...just make better choices when choosing food and walk or exercise as time allows..more as a stress reliever than a chore