Advice from runners, please

Options
So, I just started c25k (finished day 2 today) and I stretched pretty well, especially my calves. When I was done, though, my right calf had some crazy pain that wrapped all the way around to my shin. Now that I've had some time to rest (about an hour), the pain is gone; my calf just feels very tight. What can I do to prevent this? Any specific stretches? Thanks!

Replies

• Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    good running shoes are important. go to a store for runners and get properly fitted for shoes. they might be a little pricey but trust me its worth it.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    good running shoes are important. go to a store for runners and get properly fitted for shoes. they might be a little pricey but trust me its worth it.
    I'll look into some better shoes; mine are a cheap pair. I don't have a job right now, though, so good shoes for a good price would be awesome if you have a recommendation.
  • LixxiKitti
    LixxiKitti Posts: 116
    Options
    Hey - sounds like it could be shin splints (google it for more info but basically its where the muscle and tissue on the shin is pulling at the bone). I would suggest taking it a bit easier over the next few days - try ice, anti inflammatories and rest. If it is shin splints and you continue to run on it, it will only get worse.

But of course I'm just one person so feel free to correct me everyone if I'm wrong!!
    Good luck with your running, hope you stay uninjured!! :):)
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'll look into some better shoes; mine are a cheap pair. I don't have a job right now, though, so good shoes for a good price would be awesome if you have a recommendation.

You can go to a running store, get fit and figure out what pair you need. Then, ask them if they have last year's model (same shoe, different color, cheaper price) or shop them online to find a better price. Getting fit really IS important though because they'll analyze your foot, stride and footfall to make sure you have the shoe that fits YOUR foot properly.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Saucony Cohesions are what I run in, they are about $40 a pair at Academy and they have been working pretty well for me.
  • emoslayer84
    emoslayer84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are not running to fast! Slow down and take your time. You should be able to still be able to hold a conversation as you run. It's not about how fast it's the endurance of being able to maintain a healthy pace. I just finished W5D2 (never ran before in my life) and most of the soreness is in my left hip from not having proper shoes. The burning in my feet, shins, and upper legs has since stopped. Good luck and godspeed!
  • keepkickingbutt
    keepkickingbutt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Great tip about last year's model! You can often find good bargains online - you could try a few pairs in the stores, then shop around online for the best price.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Definitely good running shoes.... they're a must! I was plagued with shin splint, stress fractures and runner's knee until I broke down and bought a good pair. I highly recommend the Mizuno Wave Creation. They're not that expensive either... around $120 in my area. I haven't had to touch my knee brace or visit the ortho doc in over a year!

Also, make sure you're stretching for long enough. I never used to stretch for very long but now I'm religious about it. Also make sure that you're stretching after and then getting in a good source of protein within 30 minutes of your runs. That will also help your muscles heal... and no, it won't make you bulk.

Good luck and I hope you feel better!
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Google shin stretches. I had the same problem when I started c25k 2 weeks ago. No problems after week 2 day one though. If you sit on the floor with your legs bent under you, sitting on your legs, and lift up just your knee, you should feel a stretch in your shin.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Hey - sounds like it could be shin splints (google it for more info but basically its where the muscle and tissue on the shin is pulling at the bone). I would suggest taking it a bit easier over the next few days - try ice, anti inflammatories and rest. If it is shin splints and you continue to run on it, it will only get worse.

But of course I'm just one person so feel free to correct me everyone if I'm wrong!!
    Good luck with your running, hope you stay uninjured!! :):)

No, you're probably right. Not getting enough healing time is the worst thing someone can do for themselves.
  • fridayjustleft04
    Options
    Make sure you are not running to fast! Slow down and take your time. You should be able to still be able to hold a conversation as you run. It's not about how fast it's the endurance of being able to maintain a healthy pace. I just finished W5D2 (never ran before in my life) and most of the soreness is in my left hip from not having proper shoes. The burning in my feet, shins, and upper legs has since stopped. Good luck and godspeed!

No worry about running too fast. I'm sllllooow. Haha. Thanks, and good luck to you, too!
  • fridayjustleft04
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I will definitely look into getting some better shoes and start stretching longer. I iced my shin and it feels better. Just a tight calf, now, which doesn't bother me so much.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I second good shoes and running slow. Honestly, if you can't afford good shoes, I think it might be better to stick to walking until you get some.
    Also read up about stretching, most of the stuff I've read lately says you should warm up first (by walking for example) so you aren't stretching cold muscles.