Help with recipe builder, how the heck do I...

Options
2»

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    mhaskins08 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Weigh everything raw before putting it in

Log everything in the recipe builder one by one

Cook dish

Weigh entire cooked dish

Divide by the number of 100g portions that equals a serving

When you come to eat it log it as the number of 100g servings you took eg 350g =3.5 servings

Thanks for that breakdown. Where do you get 100g= 1 serving? Is that average? My challenge is once I have a cooked recipe i'm not really sure how to break down the servings.

If you're cooking from a recipe, you can use the # of servings it suggests, but I'll often experiment on the recipe builder and find a serving size that has what I feel to be a reasonable # of calories, and then divide the weight of the finished dish by that number. And I wholeheartedly recommend keeping a list of the weight of all of your pots & pans on the fridge! Drives me insane to cook a big dish and realize I can't get an accurate weight for it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I log the number of grams as the number of servings. No math required, no having to wonder what a 'serving is'... Put plate on scale, put food, enter the number of servings, done.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I log the number of grams as the number of servings. No math required, no having to wonder what a 'serving is'... Put plate on scale, put food, enter the number of servings, done.

You can only do this when first creating the recipe though, right? This is one of my biggest gripes with the recipe builder... i don't know the total weight of my recipe until it's all assembled, so i don't know what to enter as total number of servings when I'm creating my recipe from the start of the process.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »

You can only do this when first creating the recipe though, right? This is one of my biggest gripes with the recipe builder... i don't know the total weight of my recipe until it's all assembled, so i don't know what to enter as total number of servings when I'm creating my recipe from the start of the process.

No, you can edit the weight/serving size any time, just as you can edit any ingredient. I do it all the time! When you're done cooking just tap the pen icon at the top of your recipe and you're able to change the servings.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »

No, you can edit the number of servings (at least you can on the website; I don't know about the app since I don't use it).

There was a while after they rolled out the "new" recipe builder when you couldn't edit the name of the recipe, which was a pain for me, b/c my approach was to put the serving size in the name of the recipe (e.g., eggplant and garbanzo stew, srvg = 105 g), so the info would be there for me when I logged it. It's really helpful for when you want to use an old recipe as a starting point, rather than having to find all of your ingredient entries in the database all over again, but you might be substituting some ingredients or using different amounts, because you have different stuff on hand or you just want to experiment. The weight of the final dish might be different the next time I make it, so a serving of a 10-serving stew might no longer be 105 g, but I can just edit the title to say "eggplant and garbanzo stew, srvg = 125 g" or alternatively change the number of servings to 12.

I'm not crazy about the 1 g serving size approach, b/c unless your recipe is for a blend of different oils, with no other ingredients, you won't see any meaningful information about the nutrients in a 1 g serving. During the time when you couldn't edit the recipe name, and I used the 1 g serving approach, I don't think I ever had a single recipe that didn't have zeros all across the board for the nutrients in a single gram.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll experiment with the recipe builder more. It has great potential for logging, i just need to understand it better
  • ckfox95
    ckfox95 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Thanks for that breakdown. Where do you get 100g= 1 serving? Is that average? My challenge is once I have a cooked recipe i'm not really sure how to break down the servings.
    [/quote]

Good question! I'm still a bit confused on that too.
    Can anyone help?
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Weigh everything raw before putting it in

Log everything in the recipe builder one by one

Cook dish

Weigh entire cooked dish

Divide by the number of 100g portions that equals a serving

When you come to eat it log it as the number of 100g servings you took eg 350g =3.5 servings

How in any one's mind is this worthy of an abuse flag?

Probably they thought it was a Like button. Flagger - you can flag it again to make the flag go away.

Who flagged it as abuse? That's not right. I think it was a mistake, no way it's abuse...