Can't I just Keep it simple?

Options
Does anyone else get overwhelmed with all the weight loss products, articles, tips, tricks, etc... Does anyone just "keep it simple" log calories accurately, exercise and just NOT WORRY! I think that is going to be my new motivation to worry less about weight loss!

Replies

• sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yes.

There are a million gimmicks out there trying to get your money.

All you need to do is be in a deficit and you'll lose weight, simple as that.

Eat smart and be aware what you're putting in your body, and exercise regularly. Done :)
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yep. You got it!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    That is what I do. Ate 4 cookies last night, didn't care one bit. My wife and sister-in-law were saying how she shouldn't eat mozzarella sticks if she wants to lose weight (the have to eat "healthy" mindset). I told them to save up some calories and I'll eat some with them tomorrow. Keep it simple, don't worry about what you eat so long as you have a varied diet and stay within your calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I find all the gimmicks annoying, not overwhelming, but I agree with you - keep it simple, that is the solution! Calories trumps everything when it comes to weight. But we are living creatures in an environment we weren't exactly evolved for, so attention to body/mind/environment cues, persistence and patience, knowledge and good habits, flexibility and enjoyment, are things I feel are important for a good life and good health, including keeping calories in check.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I could only lose what I've lost by keeping it simple: eat less, log it, walk more. That's the secret. NO WAY was I going to get surgery, take hocus-pocus pills, etc. Consistent logging is what has helped me the most, and being conscious of what I'm putting into my mouth. You can do it!!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    CICO is simple :smiley:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I actually do less than that. I don't even log my food. No structured plan, no gym, no gimmicks, no special diet, no special meal time, no macro percentages, no diet restrictions. I just do what I did when I was thin and fit. I eat a balanced diet and stay active.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yes, I do.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    The not worrying or over thinking it part is a very good weight loss tool if you ask me!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Over thinking this will drive a person nuts...

Keep it simple, log your food, do some exercise and let the body take care of the rest. I change up the exercise program/lifting program when needed... that's it..

I do lurk around the MFP community for ideas, tips and tricks though..
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes. I agree with you. My problem, besides food, is all the exercise and weights information out there . Toning versus bulking versus cutting. I try to keep the rest simple. Log as accurately as I can. Stay within goal calories as much as I can and walk for exercise. Just plain walking.

My big problem is handling TOM/PMS. All rules are out the door. No tip, and there are many on MFP, works for me. Ok. I think I went off topic.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Keeping everything as simple and stress free as possible is usually the best way of doing it.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I know myself, and if I had to weigh everything like so many suggest, I'd never stick to this goal. What I've done works for me, anyway. I found a set breakfast I like. No thinking. I've got 5 lunches for work I rotate. No thinking. and then I play around with dinner and try new lower calorie combinations.

So far, so good.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Julem22 wrote: »
    Does anyone else get overwhelmed with all the weight loss products, articles, tips, tricks, etc... Does anyone just "keep it simple" log calories accurately, exercise and just NOT WORRY! I think that is going to be my new motivation to worry less about weight loss!

Yes, it's working for me..in fact, I pretty much don't need to log calories any more. I know how many I'm eating in a day..it's getting easier all the time..

• Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Asked my doctor once about some weight loss something or other. She responded to me :"Wanna lose weight fast? Without even trying? Let me amputate something. Other than that just eat less, exercise more and it'll happen."

My doctor scares me sometimes nut in the end she's right.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    Julem22 wrote: »

Yes ...

I've never paid any attention to all the weight loss products, articles, tips, tricks, etc. ... I just simply eat fewer calories than I burn.

I've been pleasantly surprised how easy it has been.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    The more accurate I am with weighing my food, the less I worry and the more simple and stress-free it is.

The times it feels like hard work is when I guess (for example a restaurant meal) and then feel insecure about how well I am managing for the week.

I am not interested in gimmicks. I don't restrict any particular food and I only exercise when I feel like it.
  • GirlJudeCr001
    GirlJudeCr001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have spent lots of cash unnecessarily on gimmicky things, weight loss drinks, protein shakes and bars. I'm not saying they don't work but it's simpler to eat clean and get what I need from real food. I try to keep it simple - scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese, tomatoes and spinach for breakfast / lunch or a tuna salad with full fat mayo. For dinner I eat what ever I fancy as long as half the plate is loaded with veggies. Don't go back for seconds and have a sweet treat within my calorie allowance before bed. Works ok for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sounds healthy!
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    The way to do it is simple. The self-control and discipline? Those are the hard parts. :)