Not losing weight on 1000 calories.

Options
Hi,

I am 5'1 and I had a baby 12 weeks ago. On the 8th August I started to diet and so far I have lost 17lb. 161lb to 144lb. On the 16th October I weighed 143lb and I re weighed myself on the 17th and I now weigh 144lb and I still do. I know its only 4 days later but I am confused why I have gained 1lb and my weight is showing no sign of budging. I am on a 1000 calories diet and I never go over 1200. I walk around 1 hour every day or 30 mins on my exercise bike. My daily diet consist of one slice of peanut butter on toast, a quorn burger with no bread, and tea is normally quorn with veg or I will make chicken casserole with broccoli, carrots, onion, and green beans. I only drink sugar free drinks. Red bull zero and Cadbury's Highlight hot chocolate (I can have around 6 of these a day).

Any advice would be good thanks.

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Follow the flow chart.
    66wztmw9kc1g.jpg

More than 3 weeks? Yes.

Ok, are you weighing your food?
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but MFP advises that 1200 calories is the minimum daily. You've just had a baby so your body is making massive changes and you need to take this into consideration.

Why not try upping your calories to 1200, or ensuring that you eat back your exercise calories?

As I said, I'm no expert but I'm sure someone else will be able to advise what you can do to help yourself.

Congrats on the baby!
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you are confused about why you don't weigh less then you are confused about weight loss in general. You simply will not lose all the time, and sometimes your weight will go up a little. That's normal. The body has normal weight fluctuations.

Also, for your health you should be eating more. Yes, even though you are short (I'm short too) and yes, even though you want to lose weight now now now.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    zoie1313 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am 5'1 and I had a baby 12 weeks ago. On the 8th August I started to diet and so far I have lost 17lb. 161lb to 144lb. On the 16th October I weighed 143lb and I re weighed myself on the 17th and I now weigh 144lb and I still do. I know its only 4 days later but I am confused why I have gained 1lb and my weight is showing no sign of budging. I am on a 1000 calories diet and I never go over 1200. I walk around 1 hour every day or 30 mins on my exercise bike. My daily diet consist of one slice of peanut butter on toast, a quorn burger with no bread, and tea is normally quorn with veg or I will make chicken casserole with broccoli, carrots, onion, and green beans. I only drink sugar free drinks. Red bull zero and Cadbury's Highlight hot chocolate (I can have around 6 of these a day).

Any advice would be good thanks.

Please tell me you're not breast feeding?
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Could be hormones, return of TOTM after the baby {congrats :)}
  • chrisjohnryan93
    chrisjohnryan93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but MFP advises that 1200 calories is the minimum daily. You've just had a baby so your body is making massive changes and you need to take this into consideration.

Why not try upping your calories to 1200, or ensuring that you eat back your exercise calories?

As I said, I'm no expert but I'm sure someone else will be able to advise what you can do to help yourself.

Congrats on the baby!

Disclosure not a doctor and following is personal opinion.
    Agree up your calories to a healthier
    weight loss level. Increase your calorie deficit through increased expenditure.
    Whether this is from replacing your walk with a higher paced jog, or.by increasing the length of the walk, that's up to you.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your food? If not, chances are you are eating more than 1000 (and for your health's sake, I hope so. That coupled with the amount of red bull's and hot chocolate you drink sounds terrible for your body), which is a common error a lot of people make. Do you weigh everything with a food scale which does grams or ounces, no cups or serving spoons?

If you are breastfeeding you need to up your calories NOW. Most people (who aren't undereating anyway, if you truly are netting 1000 calories a day) up by 500 to account for breast feeding.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You need to feed your body, especially after childbirth. Up your calories reasonably and expect there to be fluctuations. To balance the increased intake, go for another walk with the baby, etc. LAST thing you want to do is strict calorie restriction. That much of a change isn't sustainable long-term.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Four. days. later.

Be more realistic, please.
  • zoie1313
    zoie1313 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do weigh my food and I really do stick to 1000 cal, some days it been around 800-950 and 1200 cal is the limit. I log every thing, even when I drink black tea of 2cal I log it.
    I was partially breastfeeding for the first month. My baby is perfectly healthy and currently weighs 13lb 4oz. I had the DEPO injection 2 weeks ago and I wondering if that may be anything to do with it? Really appreciate the advice you're all giving me and I will try upping my calorie intake to see if that helps.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you are eating more calories then you think that you are.

do you use a food scale to weigh all solids?
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 calories will not "fix" your problem. You need to eat at least 1200 calories + exercise calories to support you body and general health.

You should not worry about a 4 day period with a 1 lb gain or no gain.

As I recall, BC can impact your water retention, but does not impact the amount of fat on your body. So yes the DEPO shot could lead to impacts on the scale, but they are small, and do not represent fat.
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I do weigh my food and I really do stick to 1000 cal, some days it been around 800-950 and 1200 cal is the limit. I log every thing, even when I drink black tea of 2cal I log it.
    I was partially breastfeeding for the first month. My baby is perfectly healthy and currently weighs 13lb 4oz. I had the DEPO injection 2 weeks ago and I wondering if that may be anything to do with it? Really appreciate the advice you're all giving me and I will try upping my calorie intake to see if that helps.

its only 4 days your weight go up and down depending on sodium and crap . i know i weigh myself daily . if you cant handle seeing those ups and downs weigh urself once a week come back in two weeks and if you still doing what you said and have not lost weight. than go see a doctor .dont be scared to eat too 800-950 baby girl you tripping. also ex. if you eat 1200 than next day you eat 1500 the day after 1500 you will 'weigh" more usually take it from me i have a 3 month old and 18 month old i know you want to get your body on point but, eat healthy try to exercise in due time the weight will come off!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Eating this few calories can't be right.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Eating 800-1100 calories without a doctor's ok and supervision can qualify as an eating disorder. I ate in that range for a couple of years and my hair started to fall out in clumps, my joints ached, I got acne and a host of other nasty health side effects. Eventually I upped my calories to 1600 and started lifting weights and running (just a little) and I only gained 10 lbs - most of it muscle, but am now so much healthier! Slow weight loss can be frustrating but it's the healthy and sustainable thing to do. The last thing you want to do is accidentally damage your body by trying to lose too fast (other e.d. side effects can include brittle bones and trouble conceiving). Best wishes.
  • RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem, last night when i weighed myself i was more than 2 pounds more than i was in the morning. I don't understand why I'm gaining weight :smile: ... Seriously, in my experience body weight can regularly fluctuate up and down in a 3-5 pound range just based on things like water weight (and, for example, i'm not advising you stop drinking water and not to even drink less).
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Just out of curiosity, why are you limiting your intake to 1000 calories? Is it self-imposed or directed by a doctor is what I'm trying to get at. I'm just concerned for your health that you aren't eating enough to sustain a healthy body. If you're just trying to lose the weight fast, this kind of deficit isn't sustainable, and when you start eating "normal" again, you're just going to gain the weight back again. Getting back in shape is a fantastic goal, but please don't do it at the expense of your health!!
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Your not eating enough!! Someone send her the link TDEE scooby? Im on my cell.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    So 1200 has your deficit built in you eat 800 - 950 a day... ??

Someone please advice her on how this works.. I got exhausted trying to understand a person not loosing any weight after seeing she only eats 800 - 950 calories a day.. I would be lightheaded and have major brain fog every day..
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Yeah, 1,000 a day...especially when you're active, is not healthy. I'd go minimum 1,200..nothing under.
    I used to be SO afraid of calories, had this mindset that less was more. Until I started seeing these women like Heidi Powell who eat over 2,000 a day and she's got an amazing body (AND four kids). Also Nathalie Hodson who eats about the same.
    Calories are fuel if eating the right foods. Have you considered following just the 21 Day Fix eating plan to get a foundation to follow?