How long does it take if you're consistent?

Options
2»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It takes as long as it takes. One day at a time, just keep getting it.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say Sepultura rocks!

So does white zombie \"/ \"/
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Basically it takes as long as it takes.

I brought the wrong size into the dressing room every time I shopped for the longest time after I reached maintenance. I had to ask the sales associate to bring me smaller sizes every time.

Last summer (3 years after losing 34lb), I posted a picture of myself in a bathing suit between two other women. All three of us were in pretty good shape. Two friends commented on the picture by saying "You (me) are really tiny!" I said, "yes, I am." lol

ih2kabigufl5.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I feel as though I am doomed to be fat (not even skinny-fat) forever. I've been up and down with my weight, I want to lose weight but I want to be ripped and rock hard muscle too. I feel like I am doing the right things but I'm not convinced. My main problem is sticking to a program for any significant duration. How long till I start seeing good changes in my body.

This is more of a moan than anything, I know ;)

The rest of your life

Seriously

You lose the weight by committing to calorie logging at a defecit, moving more and lifting heavy (notes rock hard muscle)

You maintain your body by committing to calorie logging at maintenance, moving more and lifting heavy (notes rock hard muscle again)

So commit to it as a long term life change and not a short term goal orientated hit...cos when you get that right you won't quit ..you'll just be ...and then it will just be you and what you do
  • refuseresist
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Nice one @rabbitjb
    looking good @47Jacqueline

Thanks everyone, there's some really good posts here.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It takes around 3 weeks to create a habit that is lasting, so start of by aiming to stick to calorie counting faithfully for at least 3 weeks and then keep on going....it takes time to lose the weight, take one day at a time and you will get there.

When I first started my fitness journey 3+ years ago I set myself the task of doing the 30 day Shred, and I committed to doing it every single day for that 30 days - at the end of it I was so pleased with the results that I kept on going, trying other workouts and finding what I liked...I still get up at 6.30 Mon-Fri every week without fail to workout/run/walk/lift etc. If I can stick to new habits long term, there's hope for everybody :smiley:

All the best! :smile:
  • refuseresist
    Options
    Well done on your progress!
  • skyscraper5571
    skyscraper5571 Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Well I have lost 60kg but it took about 2 years. I been every weight. I've almost done it all with this app lolpbs5vp04405q.jpeg
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you are dedicated, it will take less time to lose the weight than it took to put it on.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    Good job skysraper
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I didn't see it in myself until I had lost half the weight I wanted to and THEN gained it all back and looked at the pictures. That's when I finally saw that yeah, I really was smaller at that weight.

It helps me, at least, to think of it as an experiment. Like I'm testing a hypothesis to see if it really does work. I also try to focus on consistency and reward myself for sticking to my plan x number of days a month or whatever.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    original post was October 2015, wonder where he is at... how he feels, etc. I have been on my journey 33 days lost almost 25 pounds and feel amazing. I didn't realize how bad I felt until knocking the first 20 off......70 more to go to my goal
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi, @refuseresist . How's it been going?

Here's the thing. If you are consistently over-eating, you will gain weight. It takes consistency, re-assessment, and adjustment to your goals. I work at reviewing my progress at least every ten days or so.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am still here, so thanks for replying to my thread.
    I know what I needs to do, just doing it is hard sometimes.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am still here, so thanks for replying to my thread.
    I know what I needs to do, just doing it is hard sometimes.

Yup, it's hard. Not necessarily day to day, but hard to know that this isn't a short process that has a start and a finish, this is about making changes and choices that will stick for life. Not a "journey", not a "diet", not a "fix", but a way of living for the rest of my life.

My theory is that I just have to work on having more days where I make good choices for my health than ones where I just don't care.
    If I go over my cals because I don't care or because there is something special happening... well, that's just life.
    It's not a disaster, not a drama, just a fact.
    And definitely not an excuse to say "bugger it, I give up".
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    There is so much to progress. For example : has your pace per mile gotten faster when you walk? Has your stride improved? Are you able to stand straighter? How's your confidence been? Have you had more happy days than before? All this is progress too. It's not just about scales and inches. If you lift weights, are you getting stronger? I think mirrors only tell us what we want at the time we look. If you want to see progress ,then when you look in the mirror you will ( maybe it's in your face, or arms, etc) . When you are doubting yourself and look in the mirror, you won't find the results.
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I noticed a visible change after I lost about 20 lbs. Especially in my face. I felt a lot better also. I didn't start getting compliments from others until I was at about 35 lbs lost. Each pound I consistently lost helped me to stay motivated. Taking things one day and one pound at a time was the key to my success. 90 lbs down later, here I am!