I might be alone on this.....

Options
I love food! I notice even though I have started back up on MFP (which was a good step to make) I am not 100% honest in logging. I log my breakfast and then my lunch and snacks inbetween. When I get home from work though everything goes down hill.... I don't log anything and I feel guilty because I do eat bad stuff. I know most of anyone will say it is all about self control.....and I totally agree....I guess I'm just having a hard time gaining my self control back. I'm not making excuses... I would like to figure out what is triggering me losing the self control I had before I met my husband. Maybe it is because I was independent more before I met him.....or maybe it is because I am constantly on the go picking up the house 24/7 for the both of us now lol...or maybe I am just upset with myself for putting the weight back on that took me years to finally take off before I met my husband....Who knows what the reason is. All I know is I want my self control back!!

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It may also be the foods you are keeping in the house. I am fine if I don't see it, but certain foods (potato chips) will tempt me if I see them sitting there. If you have some of those foods because your husband eats them then put them away in a cabinet just for him. There are also other things (ice cream) that I buy just enough for one time so it doesn't sit and tempt me. Find out what your trigger foods are and talk to your husband about possibly keeping them out of the house.
  • rhodachupp
    rhodachupp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone! I've done the same countless times. My triggers come from different things. We have 4 children now, the youngest being almost 16 weeks and I think for me it's all the extra responsibility that makes it so hard. But it's a lot about finding a new normal I guess. Bottom line is we can't give up!! <3
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Ohh I love food too! I get it, but log. *Always* log. If it helps you, make your diary private but what's more important is being able to look at your food choices for the day honestly.
    Self discipline doesn't mean jack if you won't even take any accountability for your choices.
    Log. Each day look at it and take ownership; there is no better motivator than honesty.
    Good luck!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I agree with logging the food you eat in the evening as well. It's not about shaming yourself, it's about picking up on your own patterns and what works for you and what doesn't. Maybe you eat a bigger breakfast or lunch than what you really need. Try smaller portions in the morning and save more calories for the evening.

Also, develop a new evening routine. Get out of the house at least 1 or 2 nights a week. Staying busy doing whatever you enjoy will make staying and home and eating much less appealing.
  • Jesslynn3282
    Jesslynn3282 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    OMG I know the feeling! Can an old fart toss you out some thoughts that helped me?

Here's the biggie I needed to get into my head:
    "This isn't a game. This is deadly serious. If I don't make getting in shape the ULTIMATE PRIORITY in my life I won't ever be healthy. Everything short of the health and safety of those around me is secondary. Family, friends, hobbies, habits, work will all take as much of a second place as possible."

Long before I lost a single pound I discovered there was a lot of work I had to do first. Literally hundreds of actions and attitudes needed to change before the scale started to tip my way. Oh sure, I could grit my teeth and drop a few pounds here and there but until I learned myself I could never keep it off.

Here's a few of my more important rules. I don't keep all of them as well as I'd like but I feel Im doing a pretty good job. Maybe they will speak to you.

1) I will log into MFP every day.
    2) I will learn what it takes to log accurately and will do so.
    (BTW, I think we all have the "I lie to myself and MFP" stage, don't sweat it - beat it).
    3) I will read what people have to say and learn.
    4) I will not let my biases, predispositions and ignorance prevent me from gaining knowledge
    5) I will take the ideas that make the most sense to me and try them for myself, realizing that 95% of the advice I receive will probably not be right for me.
    6) I will fail. A lot.
    7) I will eventually triumph.

Just try doing my rule #1 for a week. Then add a rule.

I have a whole Self-control speech as well but based on my path I'm gambling that's probably not your first concern right now.

Just my 2 cents.

• starssaayhello
    starssaayhello Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One small thing that has helped me has been deciding what I'm going to eat and logging it, including snacks, before I even get home. Either at school, work or in my car, or else I just forget about it. Then, if you add anything or decide to change it, just make the adendums. Weekly meal planning helps a lot with this, and while I hated it at first, now I get super hanxiety if I don't know what's for dinner. It's a total 180.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Focus on getting into the habit of logging now, even if you do go over. That will help you identify patterns you need to change in your eating habits. If it helps, think of a reward for logging for 30 days in a row or something. I had to bribe myself, and now it feels funny if I DON'T log what I eat! XD Using the app helps me because it's right there and it's easier to pull up previous entries on it. Since I eat a lot of the same things, that's useful.

Also, once you know what your trigger foods are, banish them from the house. For example, if you know that once open a bag of chips you'll finish it off, don't allow it in your house. Period. Now, that doesn't mean you can't have chips; if you're craving them go down to the local gas station and get a small bag. Yeah, those are usually 2 servings not one, but it's still better then eating a full bag with 15-20 servings! That way, you get to eat something you want, but don't end up going overboard.
  • bearondiet
    bearondiet Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Protein, particularly protein shakes, helps you feel full.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    My trick is to plan all my meals, even snacks, the day before. I then don't need to do anything except eat what was planned - there's no coming home and needing to improvise a dinner. I stick to it pretty well.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    One small thing that has helped me has been deciding what I'm going to eat and logging it, including snacks, before I even get home. Either at school, work or in my car, or else I just forget about it. Then, if you add anything or decide to change it, just make the addendums.

THIS. This has been a huuuge motivator for me to stay on target. If I know I've already met my target for the day (whether I've actually eaten it already or not), it makes it a lot easier to say no to the snack, or if I am truly hungry, to pick a smarter snack. I find myself snacking way more often on things like yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, and fruit. Generally, things that fill me up but also fill a nutritional purpose. If I eat enough of that, I don't even want the junk snacks. When I do cave and go over my target calories, I plan in more exercise. I also pay less attention to my daily totals and more to my weekly. Some days I'm over, some days I'm under. As long as it evens out by the end of the week, I'm fine.

Incidentally, I also gained my weight after I got together with my spouse. Some of it was because we were going out a lot when we first got together, and I was drinking more than I would have otherwise. Some of it is because we both love to cook, so we frequently make giant feasts together and indulge way too much. I've learned that I don't have to eat what/ as much as he is eating, and that's helped a lot. I scoop my own portions and I don't eat snacks that he bought (usually). (I do wish he'd pick up his own crap, though.)
  • LegalMom0928
    LegalMom0928 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    desweds wrote: »
    OMG I know the feeling! Can an old fart toss you out some thoughts that helped me?

Here's the biggie I needed to get into my head:
    "This isn't a game. This is deadly serious. If I don't make getting in shape the ULTIMATE PRIORITY in my life I won't ever be healthy. Everything short of the health and safety of those around me is secondary. Family, friends, hobbies, habits, work will all take as much of a second place as possible."

Long before I lost a single pound I discovered there was a lot of work I had to do first. Literally hundreds of actions and attitudes needed to change before the scale started to tip my way. Oh sure, I could grit my teeth and drop a few pounds here and there but until I learned myself I could never keep it off.

Here's a few of my more important rules. I don't keep all of them as well as I'd like but I feel Im doing a pretty good job. Maybe they will speak to you.

1) I will log into MFP every day.
    2) I will learn what it takes to log accurately and will do so.
    (BTW, I think we all have the "I lie to myself and MFP" stage, don't sweat it - beat it).
    3) I will read what people have to say and learn.
    4) I will not let my biases, predispositions and ignorance prevent me from gaining knowledge
    5) I will take the ideas that make the most sense to me and try them for myself, realizing that 95% of the advice I receive will probably not be right for me.
    6) I will fail. A lot.
    7) I will eventually triumph.

Just try doing my rule #1 for a week. Then add a rule.

I have a whole Self-control speech as well but based on my path I'm gambling that's probably not your first concern right now.

Just my 2 cents.

YES!!!! This is spot on!! Excellent wisdom!!
  • Jesslynn3282
    Options
    Thanks everyone all your tips are helping me out :-) bunches!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Excuse or not I know only one or two women who didn't gain weight after getting married or cohabited with a man. Many will say "Oh they let themselves go" but it's really about the change in lifestyle. Some men eat a lot, and most eat more than a woman needs.

Many times there is dinner every night, whereas when you're single you might just have a light snack if you weren't really hungry. There may be snacks in the house that you didn't have before. Any way you look at it living with someone after living alone is a big change. It can take some effort to find that new sweet spot where you incorporate new eating habits and weight control.
  • soyjoy105
    soyjoy105 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love food! I notice even though I have started back up on MFP (which was a good step to make) I am not 100% honest in logging. I log my breakfast and then my lunch and snacks inbetween. When I get home from work though everything goes down hill.... I don't log anything and I feel guilty because I do eat bad stuff. I know most of anyone will say it is all about self control.....and I totally agree....I guess I'm just having a hard time gaining my self control back. I'm not making excuses... I would like to figure out what is triggering me losing the self control I had before I met my husband. Maybe it is because I was independent more before I met him.....or maybe it is because I am constantly on the go picking up the house 24/7 for the both of us now lol...or maybe I am just upset with myself for putting the weight back on that took me years to finally take off before I met my husband....Who knows what the reason is. All I know is I want my self control back!!

• soyjoy105
    soyjoy105 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was recently stuck in the same rut and beat myself up over it just as u are. Accept that you've gained the weight and take control back. It's a mind game. I hit my breaking point 2 days ago and literally looked myself in the mirror and said IM DONE. There are too many things in my life that I CANT control but I am in control of what I eat. Get rid of the bad stuff in the house and restock with healthy options. Ask your husband to join you and keep focusing on where u want to be because it will lead to a happier u.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I also pre-log days as well as meals out. That helps me a lot to keep on track. I keep my log open and was so embarrassed at how many calories I was drinking in alcohol I stopped drinking it!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You certainly aren't alone! Lots of people have trouble losing weight! It's really not an easy thing to do.

I think the first step is to LOG. Log everything!! Until you can do that, you're kind of kidding yourself and hiding the truth from yourself and while you hide, you cannot get the control back. So, start logging everything!
  • Jesslynn3282
    Options
    I'm glad to hear I am not alone on gaining weight after I met my now husband it has been frustrating but it is true we did go out to eat a lot at first then the stress of the wedding planning didn't help. I never thought to even add my drinks to MFP I will start today! That will be tough during football season and holidays since I do enjoy beer and wine during gatherings :'( I use to drink lite beer until I met my husband who is like a beer fanatic and has turned me into one as well <3 ...guess I'll have to start logging those too! Thanks for the awakening!