How do you guys log just a taste?

Options
Hey!

So I've been on a 15 day streak with logging and I've run into a little problem... I don't know how to log just a bite or a taste of something.

Like yesterday I had a small taste of my nephews chicken. And then I wanted to try to the taste of a new popcorn chip so I had 1.

I feel like I should log everything I put into my mouth even if very small. Is that going too far?

How do you guys handle this?

Replies

• absoluttalent
    absoluttalent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't log tastes. But I also don't take 30 tastes a day.
    The way I look at it, a tasting bite of anything is going to be under 50 cals. If I have a 500 deficit, it's a very small set back for that day. Or walk around the block a few times to offset it. I don't get that anal with my logging.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I don't log tastes. But I also don't weigh food either. And one of my kids is always taking things off my plate and eating it after I've already logged it. I don't take it out of my diary. For me, this works. I'm still losing so I don't get fanatical about logging. I suspect I'll have to tighten my logging up a bit when I get closer to goal weight.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i never bothered logging tastes.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Depends upon the food item. If it's something that's heavy on the calories and I take one small taste I quick add 20 or 30 calories or so. If it's a veggie or a light sauce or something like that I don't log it. I consider it a wash... like if I chew a couple of pieces of sugarless gum I don't log it. I figure I burn around 11 calories per hour chewing the gum which will negate the 3 to 5 calories the gum has in the first place. Make sense?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I log bites or tastes as quick add calories -- usually 25 calories, but sometimes as much as 50. I want to have visibility to them in case my weight fluctuates more than I would expect.

This is what I do too.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If tastes are causing your weight to change unexpectedly, they're more than just tastes, so you should be logging them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If tastes are causing your weight to change unexpectedly, they're more than just tastes, so you should be logging them.

In the last stages of my weight loss, my deficit was only a couple of hundred calories. I don't think I ever had a weight change due to tastes, but I wanted something in my logging to reflect them in case I didn't lose weight in a given period. It's what worked for me, but I can understand why people wouldn't want to bother.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I log bites or tastes as quick add calories -- usually 25 calories, but sometimes as much as 50. I want to have visibility to them in case my weight fluctuates more than I would expect.

Ahhhh... I like this. I want to log my calories as much as possible so I can notice trends as well. I haven't used the quick add feature as much. I think I'll start doing that.

Didn't know if I was being a little fanatical. Thanks!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Tastes like a walk around Costco for the all the sample tastes I log. One bite of something I probably am not going to log.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    A bite of chicken...find the entry, log 25g
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

In the last stages of my weight loss, my deficit was only a couple of hundred calories. I don't think I ever had a weight change due to tastes, but I wanted something in my logging to reflect them in case I didn't lose weight in a given period. It's what worked for me, but I can understand why people wouldn't want to bother.

I didn't mean you, in particular, but a couple hundred calories a day for a week is 1400 calories. That's a lotttt of "tastes" on an ongoing basis. I mean, the resolution of a scale that weighs in 2/10 of a pound like mine does, even in a perfect world, would require 100 calories of tastes, every day, to make the scale show a difference that was attributable to the tastes.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If I take a bite of a burger or something, I find a comparable item and just log 1/8 or whatever. It's not accurate, but it works for me.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    quick add calories, I estimate based on what it is minimum of 5 calories to max of 50.
  • prettysoul1908
    Options
    For those who don't log tastes... Is your weight loss consistent?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It's just about impossible to log such things accurately, which is why it's good to get out of the habit of taking "tastes" as much as you can.

I generally log them and just round up to the next whole unit. For example, yesterday my SO made fresh tortillas while I was working from home and I had several bites of one. It was divine! I just logged a whole tortilla instead of trying to figure out precisely how much I had.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    mhaskins08 wrote: »
    For those who don't log tastes... Is your weight loss consistent?
    It was as consistent as the issues inherent in logging and calorie content would allow it to be, anyway.

You're talking about 70 50 calorie tastes to make a pound worth of difference. That's rounding error.

• prettysoul1908
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    A bite of chicken...find the entry, log 25g

Got it. I've noticed you on these boards and I like the advice you give.

Thanks!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I didn't mean you, in particular, but a couple hundred calories a day for a week is 1400 calories. That's a lotttt of "tastes" on an ongoing basis. I mean, the resolution of a scale that weighs in 2/10 of a pound like mine does, even in a perfect world, would require 100 calories of tastes, every day, to make the scale show a difference that was attributable to the tastes.

Oh, yeah. People should certainly use common sense. I know that personally I tend to minimize what I eat (if my husband offers me a "taste" of his food, sometimes I eat a bit more), so it's more of an accountability tool for me than anything. Knowing that I have to log it will make me really think about whether or I want that grocery store sample or a drink of someone's cocktail.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Oh, yeah. People should certainly use common sense. I know that personally I tend to minimize what I eat (if my husband offers me a "taste" of his food, sometimes I eat a bit more), so it's more of an accountability tool for me than anything. Knowing that I have to log it will make me really think about whether or I want that grocery store sample or a drink of someone's cocktail.
    Agree completely. What works, works, and some sense of context and scale is a good thing.