anti-gym snobbery

Options

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I've gotten tons of crap here for preferring the treadmill and I just don't care.

I can go to the gym, hop on the thing, set it to 2% incline and my desired pace, and TOTALLY ZONE OUT. I don't have to watch for cars or people, I'm a comfortable temperature (and I live somewhere that's a frozen hellscape from November to May, so that's big...like exposed skin on your face can literally freeze and die in five minutes or less some weeks in winter) and there's no snow or ice to worry about. Plus I can listen to loud music without endangering myself by being unaware of my surroundings, read an ebook even, whatever. It works for me and just because I'm not "communing with nature" or whatever (which...I live in a downtown core, so it's more like "communing with drunks and traffic and garbage") doesn't make it an inferior workout. It makes me happy. I dig having an easy way to keep my pace. I like distracting myself from what is often kind of boring once you get into the hour + type runs especially. And I don't think it makes me a better person to deal with terrible weather etc.

Like...whatever, do whatever works for you, but I'm going to keep doing what works for me too. I've tried it the other way and it's not my thing. No big deal.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I've gotten tons of crap here for preferring the treadmill and I just don't care.

I can go to the gym, hop on the thing, set it to 2% incline and my desired pace, and TOTALLY ZONE OUT. I don't have to watch for cars or people, I'm a comfortable temperature (and I live somewhere that's a frozen hellscape from November to May, so that's big...like exposed skin on your face can literally freeze and die in five minutes or less some weeks in winter) and there's no snow or ice to worry about. Plus I can listen to loud music without endangering myself by being unaware of my surroundings, read an ebook even, whatever. It works for me and just because I'm not "communing with nature" or whatever (which...I live in a downtown core, so it's more like "communing with drunks and traffic and garbage") doesn't make it an inferior workout. It makes me happy. I dig having an easy way to keep my pace. I like distracting myself from what is often kind of boring once you get into the hour + type runs especially. And I don't think it makes me a better person to deal with terrible weather etc.

Like...whatever, do whatever works for you, but I'm going to keep doing what works for me too. I've tried it the other way and it's not my thing. No big deal.

but why should anyone give you crap for your personal preference. I dont like the treadmill because i dont feel safe, so thats my preference. I dont care if anyone chooses to use it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

As someone who loves running outside but hates running around piles of vomit (I live in an area with a lot of bars and college students), I agree that "communing with nature" can be way over-rated.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I do not listen to cardio plebs. Nature does not have barbells and squat racks just lying around.

I only lift rocks and wild fauna.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    The people that do have kids and also find the time are those with a supportive partner, or extended family on hand to help. I can understand why it would be impossible to get to the gym if you don't have either. At the opposite extreme, I know guys with kids who spend most of their leisure time in the gym or doing some sport/hobby that doesn't involve their kids - seems sad to me.

That's part of their problem, thinking that they have to go to the gym to be in shape. Got kids? Take them in the back yard and do squats. Take the family in a bike ride. Go down to your basement and use the baby to do curls and have your toddler sit in your back when you do push-ups.
    Everyone can come up with excuses if they want to. EVERYONE.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

As someone who loves running outside but hates running around piles of vomit (I live in an area with a lot of bars and college students), I agree that "communing with nature" can be way over-rated.

Right? If I had a nice nature-y path to take and weather that wasn't -30 half the year I might feel differently, but I don't, so...shrug.

but why should anyone give you crap for your personal preference. I dont like the treadmill because i dont feel safe, so thats my preference. I dont care if anyone chooses to use it.

You'd be surprised. Every time I've mentioned preferring the treadmill on MFP, someone loses their darn mind about it and makes it a mission to educate me on how I'm working out wrong and how I should learn to love the ice and grow up about the cold and how I'm pathetic for being concerned for my safety running in my neighbourhood. I'm not sure why it matters to people that a perfect stranger is DOING IT WRONG but people get legitimately nasty about it. Generally it's older, distance-running men but I've heard it over and over from lots of people. Mostly I now avoid posting on any thread that I run almost exclusively on the treadmill.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, but that is their opinion. I don't take issue with it. I have more things going on than to debate about gym, outside, workout DVD's.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I've had people kind of snigger at me and say "you're lucky you get the time!!! *Eye roll* Wait til you have kids".
    Oh, my favorite is, "I have responsibilities" as if I some how magically live and get paid for doing nothing and report to no one. I have no kids because I don't want kids, doesn't mean that I don't have responsibilities.

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks.

For me it's totally situational... I have a gym membership for access to certain things (classes, free weights, treadmill, pool) but I would much rather run or cycle outside if given the option--it's just not always feasible (subzero weather, darkness, icy roads).
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    They do have broadband in Iten you know!
    [/quote]

I was not questioning that.

Eugene, Oregon...where Nike was born.

It's one of those self-bestowed titles. :) Oregon is also pretty bike-friendly. Something like 9% of Portland's population commutes by bike.

The point is that I know an inordinate number of people who run outdoors. I live in a climate where some degree of outdoor exercise is feasible for most of the year...and I still don't encounter the attitude that the OP describes.

I see active people of all kinds supporting each other in doing a wide variety of exercises. Now active people vs. people who never exercise? That's an entirely different story. [/quote]

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I do think that sometimes the phrase "I don't have the time" really means "I could make time but this isn't high enough on my priority list".

Quite often, and it is okay, but it's obnoxious to then act as if someone who does do whatever it is must not have a full life or has their priorities misplaced.

Agreed. We all have different priorities based upon our individual circumstances. That's what makes life so fun!
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've had people kind of snigger at me and say "you're lucky you get the time!!! *Eye roll* Wait til you have kids".

This annoys me HUGELY! I work full time, I have a house to run, food to cook, clothes to wash, bills to pay and I FIND the time because my health is important to me. No -I don't have kids. But I also know plenty of people that do have kids and still find time to get a couple of work-out's in a week..

This here irritates me more than people being pushy about their exercise preference. My trainer is all about lifting heavy, my friends who run marathons are all about running, etc. I usually just say that anything that gets people up and moving has to be a good thing. I am a yoga instructor so I tend to talk about the benefits of yoga, but if you don't want to do it so be it. I also teach a crazy cardio class and those girls are so against doing weights they complain when I make them pick up a 5lb dumbbell!

Personally I work full time, plus teach classes several days a week (gets me my free gym membership) and have 3 dogs plus 11 chickens to take care of. If my hubby is out of town for work that adds in all the rest of the farm work for me to get done. I make time for exercise because it's important to me.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

This annoys me HUGELY! I work full time, I have a house to run, food to cook, clothes to wash, bills to pay and I FIND the time because my health is important to me. No -I don't have kids. But I also know plenty of people that do have kids and still find time to get a couple of work-out's in a week..

I can't believe people would actually say something like this--Super annoying and rude, geez! I have a toddler and go to the gym almost daily and my bambino loves it! Kids just happen to be an excuse for some people. Finding time is the key for everyone-kids or no kids :)

As a very busy parent, I do almost all of my exercising at the expense of something else that I enjoy, namely taking a lunch break at work or sleeping. I'm not interested in doing the dad-bod thing, lol
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    This here irritates me more than people being pushy about their exercise preference. My trainer is all about lifting heavy, my friends who run marathons are all about running, etc. I usually just say that anything that gets people up and moving has to be a good thing. I am a yoga instructor so I tend to talk about the benefits of yoga, but if you don't want to do it so be it. I also teach a crazy cardio class and those girls are so against doing weights they complain when I make them pick up a 5lb dumbbell!

Wow, that doesn't sound incredibly patronizing. *sarcasm*

• tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    ^^^concerning CF, I like when people are really excited about it because they just found out about it and they think it just came about last week. When I tell them I was doing CF in 2006, they are flabbergasted. It's like it's been reborn into a new trend. Good marketing I suppose. "Did you do the WOD today bro?" I just threw up in my mouth.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Wow, that doesn't sound incredibly patronizing. *sarcasm*

@vivmom2014 Lol they are getting better about using weights, they just prefer to do burpees to lifting! Having most of my intense training in yoga I'm the type of instructor that lets them know it's their workout and they can choose how hard they want to work that day. :smile:
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

My gym has daycare if you need it.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I think people some people are going to be "Holier than thou" snobs regardless of whether it is the gym, their car, their kids school/academics/athleticism, what religion they follow etc...
    Most good people don't care about stuff like that, though. And your true friends will not judge you or make it an issue.

I don't go to the gym. I run outside and workout at home. When someone asks me about my workout, I say just that and stop.
    I have met some people that give me the 'OMG, like, you don't even lift?!?' Some people love the gym, lifting barbells (I prefer kettlebells) some hate cardio and that's not even the point.
    The point is that the snobbery goes both ways.

Have you seen the tank tops on Pinterest and Etsy that say stuff sht like: "You Girlfriend does Pilates/Zumba/Barre/Yoga/Whatever" a mocking emoji and and then a tag line for the tougher/better form of fitness the wearer prefers?

It's like : Who Cares?!? just do your thing and be happy! You don't have to put someone else down (that's on your same journey, by the way) in order to validate your own bad-assness.

• MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    [quote=
    Convenience is also an issue. I live in a rural area. The nearest gym is a good 30 min drive from my house if traffic is light.[/quote]

I read that if your gym is more than 20 minutes away from home, your actual use rate drops considerably.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I have friends who are weight lifters/body builders, friends who are runners, friends who are bikers, friends who do Crossfit, friends who work out to videos at home...none of them ever push their discipline or make snobby comments about it. We all do what we do.

I have a gym membership and go there mostly for my lifting days. If the weather is conducive to being outdoors, I'd rather do my cardio outside than on a treadmill, stairclimber, elliptical, etc. - but on days I don't want to be outside, at least I have those options available. I also have a bit of equipment at home (adjustable dumbbells, bench, recumbent bike, etc.), so I can get my lifting done there if I don't feel like going to the gym or am pinched for time of whatever.

Just as I believe in the "everything in moderation" approach to eating, I have the same philosophy toward fitness/exercise. I think it's a good thing to include some strength training, but I also believe that there should be some cardio mixed in there too. Both are components of well-rounded overall fitness and health.