anti-gym snobbery

Replies

• nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Does anyone else find, that if they mention they go to the gym, some people will respond by taking on a superior air and say things like "I prefer to exercise in the fresh air" or "why waste money on a gym membership when all you need is some running shoes and the great outdoors", or "I find treadmills so boring - can't understand why anyone would want to do that"

Nothing actually wrong with these statements - but the way in which they are said I find irritating, as if they are questioning one's good taste and intelligence.

anyway, I don't mean this thread as a rant, just as an observation. Anyone else notice the same?

There will be those who reply with a holier than though attitude regardless of the topic. I don't think a gym membership is a bad thing, especially if you live in an extreme climate (hot or cold).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    It hasn't happened quite like that. They sometimes say "how on earth do u afford a gym" and previously I said, truthfully, that it was small and incorporated into the apartment complex, so no additional fee. Now that I'm not living there any more, I state (truthfully again) that I am putting together a home gym with stuff snagged on the ubercheap from people getting rid of their unused equipment. Because yeah I am broke and will probably always be, but I can still be fit.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Does anyone else find, that if they mention they go to the gym, some people will respond by taking on a superior air and say things like "I prefer to exercise in the fresh air" or "why waste money on a gym membership when all you need is some running shoes and the great outdoors", or "I find treadmills so boring - can't understand why anyone would want to do that"

Nothing actually wrong with these statements - but the way in which they are said I find irritating, as if they are questioning one's good taste and intelligence.

anyway, I don't mean this thread as a rant, just as an observation. Anyone else notice the same?

yep
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Convenience is also an issue. I live in a rural area. The nearest gym is a good 30 min drive from my house if traffic is light.

I read that if your gym is more than 20 minutes away from home, your actual use rate drops considerably.

I don't doubt that a bit. It can double (or more) the time you must devote to working out if you have a long drive there and back. Not to mention if the weather is too bad for outdoor activity it's also likely not that great for driving.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    I see that happen, but not just with gym vs. home, but with most things on here like IIFYM vs. clean eating vs. low carb, or whatever. There was a thread not long ago debating junk food and whether it was okay to eat or not, with strong opinions on both sides. My take on it all is that we are all here with a goal to lose weight and/or get healthy so once a person finds what works for *them*.... THAT is their perfect solution. It is all very personal, IMO, so everyone should find their solution and run with it. As the saying goes, "opinions are like a-holes....."
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    bw_conway wrote: »
    I've had people kind of snigger at me and say "you're lucky you get the time!!! *Eye roll* Wait til you have kids".

This annoys me HUGELY! I work full time, I have a house to run, food to cook, clothes to wash, bills to pay and I FIND the time because my health is important to me. No -I don't have kids. But I also know plenty of people that do have kids and still find time to get a couple of work-out's in a week..

I can't believe people would actually say something like this--Super annoying and rude, geez! I have a toddler and go to the gym almost daily and my bambino loves it! Kids just happen to be an excuse for some people. Finding time is the key for everyone-kids or no kids :)

As a very busy parent, I do almost all of my exercising at the expense of something else that I enjoy, namely taking a lunch break at work or sleeping. I'm not interested in doing the dad-bod thing, lol

Lol! I do the same. Although, it's usually housework that I'm putting off so I can exercise...oh well! :)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    bw_conway wrote: »
    I've had people kind of snigger at me and say "you're lucky you get the time!!! *Eye roll* Wait til you have kids".

This annoys me HUGELY! I work full time, I have a house to run, food to cook, clothes to wash, bills to pay and I FIND the time because my health is important to me. No -I don't have kids. But I also know plenty of people that do have kids and still find time to get a couple of work-out's in a week..

I can't believe people would actually say something like this--Super annoying and rude, geez! I have a toddler and go to the gym almost daily and my bambino loves it! Kids just happen to be an excuse for some people. Finding time is the key for everyone-kids or no kids :)

As a very busy parent, I do almost all of my exercising at the expense of something else that I enjoy, namely taking a lunch break at work or sleeping. I'm not interested in doing the dad-bod thing, lol

Lol! I do the same. Although, it's usually housework that I'm putting off so I can exercise...oh well! :)

Maybe this will make it easier to rationalize :smile:

vn9tccayip0b.jpg

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Convenience is also an issue. I live in a rural area. The nearest gym is a good 30 min drive from my house if traffic is light.

I read that if your gym is more than 20 minutes away from home, your actual use rate drops considerably.

I don't doubt that a bit. It can double (or more) the time you must devote to working out if you have a long drive there and back. Not to mention if the weather is too bad for outdoor activity it's also likely not that great for driving.

Lol, I can tell you're not from a cold area, as up here we all drive unless it's a literal blizzard (like one day a year). If you didn't drive on snow and ice in freezing temps you wouldn't be able to go anywhere for months.

I totally agree with the rest of it though - I would never go to the gym if I had to spend too long getting there and back. Mine is attached to my office tower so I walk 1/2 hr to work and go before, after, or at lunch and walk home again (and I do that in a long parka, boots, etc., even when it's -40, but I certainly wouldn't run outdoors in that weather. Commuting to work though is a necessity so I just do it.) We have a small gym in our apartment building as well, which I generally use on weekends unless I have a lot of time to kill and want to walk.

It just seems crazy to me that so many people seem to care how strangers manage their lives in this way. Like...the gym works for me. I go almost every day. It's effective for me. But it wouldn't necessarily be the same for my friends in the suburbs who spend an hour driving to work every day and might not have a gym anywhere their homes. And I can see being anti-treadmill for yourself if you've got nice trails in your area and a temperate climate, but if someone you know isn't into it and wants to hit the free weights, how is that a bad thing?

I'm of the school of thought that it doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it vigorously and regularly. Bike, swim, lift weights, do the elliptical bunny thing, yoga, sports....just do something for your muscles, bone density, and cardiovascular health and keep doing it. I pretty much hate most athletic activity, frankly, but I do it because it's good for me and I want to live forever.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Everyone I know in RL goes to the gym, except one and she doesn't care where I go! I have to have a gym membership. The seasons in Chicago are crazy- some years it starts snowing the beginning of November and doesn't stop until March. Spring and fall are iffy on the weather, one day it can be beautiful, the next day there's frost and the temperature dips. Summers get really hot and humid. I like running outside but there's only about 3 months out of the year when I can comfortably do it. I have no problem with the treadmill if it keeps me from getting sick. I like seeing other people in the gym working out, it motivates me to do better.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    I personally like having a gym membership; yes it costs me money (though not a lot) but not only do they have equipment that I don't have access to at home, I know that if I schedule in time to work out at a gym I am more likely to go; if I do it at home, when I can do it "whenever" that usually turns into "tomorrow" (and so on).

And although I'm currently only using the cardio machines for warm-up, as the weather gets worse (and it's dark 60% of the time) I will probably start using them more, when I don't feel particularly safe (or inclined) to walk on my otherwise preferred walk in the forest by myself.

I also like the environment in the gym; I feel like I'm much more likely to actually accomplish what I set out to do when I'm there. Though granted, since I tend to go so early in the morning, I'm often either alone or there's one or two other women there doing cardio. :smile: (My gym has a "women's area" that I use.)

• Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    I need my gym membership. I need the structure it provides, the routine, and the ability to not have the excuse to go off and do something else while I'm there. When I'm there, I can solely focus on my workout. Then again I've got three kids at home so distraction-free time is at a premium for me. The membership is $10/month and childcare is included. It's nice outside about one month of the year here, the rest is either freezing or broiling. And it's flatter than flat. There are zero running trails or hiking areas. People got excited because we got a couple bike lanes a few years ago, then everyone started parking in them. What can you do, except what works for you! I envy those of you who have the nice nature trails and temperate weather. I'd love to run outside more but it's just damn unpleasant here.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    peleroja wrote: »

Lol, I can tell you're not from a cold area, as up here we all drive unless it's a literal blizzard (like one day a year). If you didn't drive on snow and ice in freezing temps you wouldn't be able to go anywhere for months.

Depends on what you mean by a "cold area". Certainly there are much colder areas, but we do have Winter. We usually get a few good snows but much more freezing rain, which IMO is worse for driving. And the rural areas are less populated so generally last to have the roads cleared or salted. We drive in the bad weather when needed, but I imagine not many people would put a long drive to the gym on the "needed" list.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    I've gotten tons of crap here for preferring the treadmill and I just don't care.

I can go to the gym, hop on the thing, set it to 2% incline and my desired pace, and TOTALLY ZONE OUT. I don't have to watch for cars or people, I'm a comfortable temperature (and I live somewhere that's a frozen hellscape from November to May, so that's big...like exposed skin on your face can literally freeze and die in five minutes or less some weeks in winter) and there's no snow or ice to worry about. Plus I can listen to loud music without endangering myself by being unaware of my surroundings, read an ebook even, whatever. It works for me and just because I'm not "communing with nature" or whatever (which...I live in a downtown core, so it's more like "communing with drunks and traffic and garbage") doesn't make it an inferior workout. It makes me happy. I dig having an easy way to keep my pace. I like distracting myself from what is often kind of boring once you get into the hour + type runs especially. And I don't think it makes me a better person to deal with terrible weather etc.

Like...whatever, do whatever works for you, but I'm going to keep doing what works for me too. I've tried it the other way and it's not my thing. No big deal.

As someone who loves running outside but hates running around piles of vomit (I live in an area with a lot of bars and college students), I agree that "communing with nature" can be way over-rated.

Right? If I had a nice nature-y path to take and weather that wasn't -30 half the year I might feel differently, but I don't, so...shrug.
    I've gotten tons of crap here for preferring the treadmill and I just don't care.

I can go to the gym, hop on the thing, set it to 2% incline and my desired pace, and TOTALLY ZONE OUT. I don't have to watch for cars or people, I'm a comfortable temperature (and I live somewhere that's a frozen hellscape from November to May, so that's big...like exposed skin on your face can literally freeze and die in five minutes or less some weeks in winter) and there's no snow or ice to worry about. Plus I can listen to loud music without endangering myself by being unaware of my surroundings, read an ebook even, whatever. It works for me and just because I'm not "communing with nature" or whatever (which...I live in a downtown core, so it's more like "communing with drunks and traffic and garbage") doesn't make it an inferior workout. It makes me happy. I dig having an easy way to keep my pace. I like distracting myself from what is often kind of boring once you get into the hour + type runs especially. And I don't think it makes me a better person to deal with terrible weather etc.

Like...whatever, do whatever works for you, but I'm going to keep doing what works for me too. I've tried it the other way and it's not my thing. No big deal.

but why should anyone give you crap for your personal preference. I dont like the treadmill because i dont feel safe, so thats my preference. I dont care if anyone chooses to use it.

You'd be surprised. Every time I've mentioned preferring the treadmill on MFP, someone loses their darn mind about it and makes it a mission to educate me on how I'm working out wrong and how I should learn to love the ice and grow up about the cold and how I'm pathetic for being concerned for my safety running in my neighbourhood. I'm not sure why it matters to people that a perfect stranger is DOING IT WRONG but people get legitimately nasty about it. Generally it's older, distance-running men but I've heard it over and over from lots of people. Mostly I now avoid posting on any thread that I run almost exclusively on the treadmill.

I'm not surprized, it's crazy how often I see people on these forums coming down like a ton of bricks on fairly innocent questions/suggestions. (not trying to excuse an earlier post I made btw - I did deserve that).

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    If I worried about what others prefer or think, then I'd end up being paranoid. I've always looked at it with the opinion of if what they say doesn't affect my family, my job, or my personal life, then why bother worrying about it? Worrying solves nothing.
    Old saying one of my old bosses taught me, "95% of the stuff people worry about never happen. The other 5%, they couldn't have done anything about anyway."

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    edited October 2015
    yogacat13 wrote: »
    Judgmental people will be judgmental. Stating a preference is one thing, but denigrating someone else's choice is quite another. I find that if people make that kind of comment about exercise, they carry that attitude into the rest of their life as well, so I avoid them. The "best" exercise routine is the one you actually do consistently and enjoy.
    This.

Of course, I'm not a gym-goer myself. I have a home gym, weights, treadmill, etc. (And, at times, my basement smells like a gym!) I do enjoy a good run out at the park with friends but I will never run on the street again! My routine is at five a.m. So, I tend to run when it's dark out. Can't see the streets before sunrise and stepping into a hole in the pavement or tripping over a sidewalk that has heaved up from its bed is not good for one's workout. Once laid me up, flat on my back, for thirty days with a torn tendon. I don't go there anymore. Just too dangerous. But, for my money, anything that can get you moving is a good thing and anyone who would disparage that is... well... NOT a good thing!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    I highly prefer running outdoors, however I moved from a very active city with lots of outdoor options to west Texas for a year and all the paths here are either concrete which I don't like to run on or dirt. Not s problem there except we got a lot of rain so they were mud all summer, and they're all around small, filthy playas lakes that smell awful and got infested with mosquitos. I was sick of running in the mud and coating myself in chemicals to keep the mosquitos at bay that I started running inside. Those problems are mostly gone but o found I can stand to run on treadmill so I Lao get to avoid all the nasty diesel trucks blowing smoke into my lungs. Everytime j go home though I run outside and j miss it but it's just not worth it here. Can't wait to move!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    I really haven't noticed any negative comments about what others like to do for exercise and wouldn't pay them any mind if I did. I do prefer running outside, but I also have weather issues and do the treadmill sometimes, and I don't bike commute in the winter although I know some hardcore bikers do. I haven't gotten any negative comments for using the treadmill at MFP,* and offline the only comment I'd get about being a gym member is whether I like the gym or why I picked it. It seems really weird to me that there are all these people judging others for the type of exercise they prefer.

*Hmm, I wonder if it's how we are taking comments, though, because I have seen anti cardio ones that I just didn't take seriously.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I prefer fresh air, too. I don't enjoy the gym. Being on a treadmill just bores the heck out of me. If the weather is good, which it is most of the year here, I see no reason to drive somewhere so that I can walk on a belt when I could just walk past my car and keep going, be outside enjoying the scenery...even if the scenery is just passing houses, seeing lizards and kids playing ball. Anything is better than being in one spot - for me.

But it's hard to run on the ice or when it's overwhelmingly humid or lightning is striking all around. There are good reasons for people who might prefer to be outside to be in the gym.

Some people just like the gym, too, and that's cool. People enjoy different things!

I don't look down on people who go to the gym. That would just be ridiculous.

All of this "My diet is better than yours!" and "You're doing it wrong!" stuff is silly. It's great to get different opinions on different subjects. :)
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    My gym is £12 a month, is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year - AND has literally EVERY THING you could ever need. Win! :D

A UK gym open 24hr! Do tell.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    I don't like being outdoors more than I have to. I pay $20/mo for my gym and am happy with it. Tons of my friends much rather run outdoors. Who cares how you get there, just do what you enjoy.

Oh, I have 3 kids and a husband that has 2 jobs. I make time. But, some people can't. Doesn't make me better than them.