anti-gym snobbery

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've seen folks comment here when someone posts that they do "cardio" on a treadmill.
    And I've seen folks mock the specific gym others have chosen/have access to.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll mention that I work out at home when people start talking about gym memberships. I've heard "I can't work out because I can't afford a gym membership" as an excuse way too often. You don't have to pay money to work out and I just like to remind people of that.

I don't judge you if you do have a gym membership. I have had a membership in the past and am looking into getting a new one because my strength training has outgrown my home equipment.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of my own personal reasons for not chosing the gym for myself, including being unsociable (I enjoy working out alone), cost savings, time savings (I don't want to have to drive anywhere after work, before work, etc when I have the park right outside of work or my treadmill & weights at home...I work long hours).

...but I'm not going to snob when someone else chooses it.
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    No, never.

Kind of ironic since I am from the running capitol of the world. :)

Most people who are serious about fitness do a variety of different things, some of which involve going to the gym.

Is the running capital you are from somewhere in Kenya or Jamaica? Just curious. I have done a quick google search and found different opinions....

OP... Yes I have had similar experiences.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I might be one that answers "I prefer to exercise in the fresh air". But I'd never suggest that it was wrong or bad for others. I have had people on this site insult me for sharing that I prefer not to go to the gym, but never IRL.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I have had similar experiences too, but I ignore them...or I add to the fire and explain my two gym memberships, depends on my mood. They can preach the benefits of working out outdoors (which I do walk and hike outside) and the fact that you can workout at home. I just know I won't, I tried that, I sat on my couch, I'll keep the gym.

Just to calm the money issue, my gym fees for both gym memberships is $50 total.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I do not listen to cardio plebs. Nature does not have barbells and squat racks just lying around.

I like the way you think.
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I like running outdoors and personally think treadmills suck. But that's just my opinion and if you happen to find treadmills work for you, then great! I don't expect everyone to do what I do, that would be creepy. I get told from time to time I can't run outdoors in the rain. Sure I can! And I have. I don't run in thunder storms, but that's only be cause I'm highly allergic to lightening, otherwise I would consider it.

If the gym works for you, then by all means go to the gym. Do what works for you!
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of taking the superior air. Anything I find out that someone is paying $100+ a month on their gym membership. I pay $10 a month at my gym for all the same gym equipment, childcare, personal trainers and group fitness classes that every other gym has.
    Why the heck would anyone pay $100+ just to go to a gym that has a cafe, nail salon, gift shop, etc...seems like a terrible waste of money.
    There I go again, me and my superior air......

$10 a month? With personal trainers?? What kind of gym is this? :o

I think mine is $70. I'm just lucky that my dad pays it for me. :D Now if only I could get personal training... it's so expensive at my gym.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Leyshinka wrote: »
    No, never.

Kind of ironic since I am from the running capitol of the world. :)

Most people who are serious about fitness do a variety of different things, some of which involve going to the gym.

Is the running capital you are from somewhere in Kenya or Jamaica? Just curious. I have done a quick google search and found different opinions....

OP... Yes I have had similar experiences.

They do have broadband in Iten you know!
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I imagine those are mostly "guilt" statements. People join gyms all the time and then don't use them. It's annoying when someone actually goes! lol
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    A basic membership here is $10 a month, no contract. That doesn't include the classes or swimming pool. But I found an even better deal at city center. Classes are free to residents over 55, and even though I live in next town over, it's a whopping $25 a month. Classes every day, including swimming pool privileges. Cannot beat it!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Ya, I see it all the time and just laugh.

Normally is something like.

Poster 1: I'm looking into a treadmill or joining a gym for my cardio.....

Poster 2: Go out side, its free, fresh air, etc.......

We'll ya, it was just 15 below where poster 1 is, where the overnight low where poster 2 is was something like 40.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Ya, I see it all the time and just laugh.

Normally is something like.

Poster 1: I'm looking into a treadmill or joining a gym for my cardio.....

Poster 2: Go out side, its free, fresh air, etc.......

We'll ya, it was just 15 below where poster 1 is, where the overnight low where poster 2 is was something like 40.

Not only weather, but safety and timing. When my husband first moved in with me, it opened up the morning time slot for the first time (so much easier than after work when your kids have extracurriculars as well) since I didn't have to be home while my child was asleep. Anyway, I had to workout at 4am to be back in time for him to head to work. I live in a low crime area, but even I'm not risking going for a run in the dark when nobody is up!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    My gym is £12 a month, is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year - AND has literally EVERY THING you could ever need. Win! :D
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    When I tell people that I go to the gym I usually get a "that's great" or they ask me what specifically I do when I'm there. I've only ever had positive reactions.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i do say that i hate the treadmill, but it's not mocking. more power to you if you can run on those things.
    i don't like gyms but mostly i don't like how people thing the only way to lose weight is to go to the gym. I don't need weights, I have my own body weight to fanagle in different ways.
    to each their own. live and let live and whatever else cliche terms someone can think of
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Yes, but it applies to all sorts of exercise. There are lots of people on here who believe that you absolutely need to lift weights or you are never going to look good. If you talk to my favourite pilates instructor, she will tell you that only pilates and body weight training will work your core properly and help with posture, so if you are not including it in your routine, you are doing it wrong. My friend who is a swimmer, will tell you she cannot understand why anyone would choose any other form of exercise and then spend the next hour listing the benefits from swimming. My coworker who is a runner is convinced that if he ever enters a pool he will die from some weird skin infection and that weight lifting is for crazy people on steroids. My other coworker who loves his bike and uses it to come to work wonders why anyone spends time for exercise, when biking to places instead of using a car or the bus is so much fun and helps you get all the physical activity you need. And so on :)

So much this.

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've only had positive reactions. Being a gym member is pretty common around here, though.