Half marathon trainer needed

Options
Anyone live near Pembroke Pines, FL whose willing to get together and help me train for a half marathon in January? I've been trying on my own but don't feel like I'm getting very far. I'm an ex smoker so I can't get my breathing to where it should be. I do have a membership to 24 hour fitness if that helps any. I can't afford to pay unfortunately but i need someone who will push me and maybe give me some pointers on how to do this. Please don't tell me to get a trainer from the gym, I've already spent a lot on one for weight loss and my fiancé isn't going to pay anymore. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I would look for a running store. they likely have workshops and host running groups
    looks like there is here
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Online plan like Hal Higdon or some runner's world plan would do the trick. If you're having problems breathing, slow down - whatever it takes to get it done.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program for instance.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Anyone live near Pembroke Pines, FL whose willing to get together and help me train for a half marathon in January? I've been trying on my own but don't feel like I'm getting very far. I'm an ex smoker so I can't get my breathing to where it should be. I do have a membership to 24 hour fitness if that helps any. I can't afford to pay unfortunately but i need someone who will push me and maybe give me some pointers on how to do this. Please don't tell me to get a trainer from the gym, I've already spent a lot on one for weight loss and my fiancé isn't going to pay anymore. Thanks in advance.

What's your current weekly mileage? Longest run to date?
  • hilarydurst
    hilarydurst Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Sadly only a mile on and off running in 30 or so minutes.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Forget about doing a half marathon in January. It's not a realistic goal.

Try the Couch to 5k app. It's free.

When you have completed that successfully then use the next app to progress to 10K.

When you have completed that successfully then you will probably be better placed to decide how you want to structure your half marathon training.
  • hilarydurst
    hilarydurst Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Forget about doing a half marathon in January. It's not a realistic goal.

Try the Couch to 5k app. It's free.

When you have completed that successfully then use the next app to progress to 10K.

When you have completed that successfully then you will probably be better placed to decide how you want to structure your half marathon training.

Thanks.. Maybe I'll try that instead.
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hilary, congrats on quitting smoking! Your breathing will improve. i have friends that are former smokers that kick my butt in endurance. You will heal over time.
    Keep your heart on the half marathon but like msf74 said, forget it for January of 2016. You need to build up mileage slowly and train as much mentally as physically. I used Hal Higdon to train for a half but I also had a couple 5ks under my belt. I second the c25k app. Good luck!