having calorie issues

Options
So for the past months ive been struggling to hit 1200 calories. Since i started recording them i always end up at least 300 calories under 1200. I have no apetite what so ever. What are some things that arent really heavy on the tummy but get you to the 1200 calorie minimum.

I ended up drinking an arizona iced tea and eating a donut to get me to the 1100 calories today :(

Replies

• wanderingwest
    Options
    If you are looking to add healthy calories try a small handful of nuts or I like veggies and hummus.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    So for the past months ive been struggling to hit 1200 calories. Since i started recording them i always end up at least 300 calories under 1200. I have no apetite what so ever. What are some things that arent really heavy on the tummy but get you to the 1200 calorie minimum.

I ended up drinking an arizona iced tea and eating a donut to get me to the 1100 calories today :(

So what's you goal to gain weight? why eat more? It boils down to how many calories you eat per day, you need a caloric deficit the greater the caloric deficit the greater the weight loss. When you eat, you're making your deficit smaller.
  • MommySunshine810
    Options

So what's you goal to gain weight? why eat more? It boils down to how many calories you eat per day, you need a caloric deficit the greater the caloric deficit the greater the weight loss. When you eat, you're making your deficit smaller.

im not even getting in 1000 calories a day, my body is in starvation mode
  • MommySunshine810
    Options
    If you are looking to add healthy calories try a small handful of nuts or I like veggies and hummus.

ill have to get some hummus tomorrow.
  • biancamirella
    biancamirella Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The nuts idea is really good. You could also try getting some protein powders and mix them with milk/soy milk to have in between some of your meals. Depending on the protein, you can get about 300 calories there, and since it's a liquid, it might be easier for you to get down. If you have been eating less then 1200 for several months and not lost weight, then you are eating too little. Yes you should have a calorie deficit, but your body also needs a minimum amount of calories in order to function properly, which is why MFP has 1200 as a minimum. When you go below this for a long period of time, your body is going to go into survival mode and try to hold on to as much as possible.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Try eating healthy fats. like salmon, avocado. nuts, add olive oil or canola oil to your food and in cooking.
  • lmanzi219
    lmanzi219 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try some trail mix, or some cubes of cheese. A small amount of those can add up to a lot of calories. If you like peanut butter, 1 tablespoon is 95 calories. (I try to stay away from these because I have the opposite problem, going over my calorie goal, but they are some of my favorites) :) Good Luck!
  • MommySunshine810
    Options
    The nuts idea is really good. You could also try getting some protein powders and mix them with milk/soy milk to have in between some of your meals. Depending on the protein, you can get about 300 calories there, and since it's a liquid, it might be easier for you to get down. If you have been eating less then 1200 for several months and not lost weight, then you are eating too little. Yes you should have a calorie deficit, but your body also needs a minimum amount of calories in order to function properly, which is why MFP has 1200 as a minimum. When you go below this for a long period of time, your body is going to go into survival mode and try to hold on to as much as possible.

it hasnt been to long, maybe 2 months. any recomendations on a protien powder to get?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you are eating low cal food, then look for a higher cal version, it sounds as though your portions must be small, so keep with small portions, just squeeze in things with a few more calories.
    I think it is important to get a minimum of 1200 or so calories to make sure that your body is getting enough nutrition to stay healthy.

What about whole milk or yoghurt in a smoothie with banana/berries - its yummy and easy to sip on slowly.
    Make your own salad dressing using olive oil. You won't even notice the calories, only how tasty your salad is.
    Add some nuts to any meal - almonds, walnuts, brazils etc
    Avocado is seriously yummy and very good for you. Eat it as guacamole, or snack on half an avo with some chilli sauce in the middle.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options

im not even getting in 1000 calories a day, my body is in starvation mode

I believe starvation mode is due to lack of exercise, and wrong macro nutrient balance, such as too many carbs. It's possible to eat 1000 calories and lose a lot of weight.