Why is healthy food so expensive?

Options
Hi guys! I'm new here, just had a baby 5 months ago and trying to lose the weight. I'm down 4lbs, got another 36lbs to go. But in struggling a bit on healthy foods. I'm not in the most stable of financial situations right now, so I can't really afford spending $300+ every two weeks on groceries. I have about $170 I can spend towards food a month. Can you guys give me some foods that are healthy that are budget friendly? Thanks!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker/crockpot? Buy cheaper cuts of meat to cook stews/casseroles/soup in it. The slow cooking will tenderise the meat. Buy fruit and veg on mark down days or at the end of the retail week where they are marked before the shop closes for a day or two. Use lentils, legumes - these are cheap when buying in bulk.

Buy whole chicken, use all of it. Roast chicken dinner, leftovers can be used for another meal or added to soup, sandwiches, etc. Bones can be frozen until you have another set and then used to make stock. I use the slow cooker for this. Two sets of chicken bones/carcasses covered with water, cook for about 24 to 36 hours. Or do it on the stock top for much shorter period of time.

You don't have to buy anything special when eating healthy.

What do you normally buy? How can it be used healthier?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I find the opposite. As I don't buy much processed foods. Veggies cost very little at the likes of Aldi and Lidl, make your meal plan around those and just add in your protein base.
    Chick peas and beans are cheap protein bases. Buy whole chickens and chop them up your self works out economical as well.
    I don't tend to eat much bread or rice but they can be added in for very little cost.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    What are you buying that is that expensive? Beans, lentils, dry peas etc, rice, pasta, fresh fruit and vegetables in season, frozen vegetables, chicken, can be the basis of healthy meals and usually inexpensive.
  • nbottin
    nbottin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try eating less meat and eat more vegetables. Incorporating more vegan or vegetarian meals into your diet will significantly cut costs. Also eat more simple like rice, oats, potatoes, veggies, fruit, etc,
  • sinbadfxdl
    sinbadfxdl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on your weight loss. As far as quality food, It's a matter of how far your willingness is to work to prepare your inexpensive healthy foods. Tips are:
    . your groc stores habits on reducing items to be sold that day. (Good cuts of meat that has to be eaten that day).
    . Coupons, coupons, coupons.
    . Sale ads.
    . Always, always look at the dent and damage section
    . Frozen veggies are way cheaper than fresh and are flash frozen at peak ripeness.
    . Stock up on canned beans and legumes. I can get them as low as .69cent a can here.
    . Make large and tasty veggie and rice sides to last 3 days in the fridge and be used with fresh meat daily.
    . Make your own snacks. Way cheaper.
    . Lean twards fresh vegetables in season.

Its a do-able budget. My wife lost her job and we came up with these budgeted shopping routines. We saved 50percent on our average groc. Bill.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't find this problem, if I'm steering clear of anything processed it usually works out cheaper.

I make sure I plan my meals and write a very strict shopping list, and I try to avoid buying fruit and vegetables out of season as that makes them very pricey. I also avoid buying a lot of meat, as that really adds to the cost.

What are you buying that is costing you a lot? Maybe we can help suggest some cheaper alternatives :)
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "healthy"?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Another vote for frozen vegetables. My bad experiences with frozen vegetables have come from leaving them in my own freezer too long. Once I switched to buying and eating instead of buying and storing, quality improved drastically.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm new here, just had a baby 5 months ago and trying to lose the weight. I'm down 4lbs, got another 36lbs to go. But in struggling a bit on healthy foods. I'm not in the most stable of financial situations right now, so I can't really afford spending $300+ every two weeks on groceries. I have about $170 I can spend towards food a month. Can you guys give me some foods that are healthy that are budget friendly? Thanks!

Pulses, beans, meats on offer
    Do your markets have special offers at the end of the day on veg and foods that are close to sell-by date - buy them up - make casseroles and soups and freeze
    Chicken portions like thighs can be cheaper and far tastier
    Buy a whole chicken - make a number of meals out of it - eg start with a roast chicken dinner, make soup out of the bones with carrots, celery, onion, salt, peppercorns, bay leaf (add rice / dumplings), make chicken stir fry or sandwiches or curry with any leftover meat - 3 meals from one chicken etc etc

Healthy food is often cheaper than pre-packaged convenience food
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    It's not
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    We're a family of 4, and we definitely don't spend $300/every 2 weeks on groceries. "Healthy" packaged foods are expensive. You can usually buy dried beans in bulk for less than $2/lb (where I live). We also belong to BJs (bulk store). The membership is $40/year, but we definitely save more than that (especially if you are buying disposable diapers). Milk, eggs, bread, veggies, are all cheaper there.

We eat a lot of eggs, peanut butter, meat, veggies, beans, tofu; few grains, very little packaged foods; no soda/juice.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    You can make soup in a slo cooker or on stove top by using broth ( your choice),adding any veggies you have,fresh or frozen,canned works if drained. Maybe leftover meat or not. Use spices/flavorings you have......garlic,dash of worcestershire sauce etc.Let it simmer on low till it tastes good.Can keep in fridge or freeze.
    Frozen fruit is good too,especially in winter.Remember,you don't need to cut everything out. Small portions & replace as you go.You have a good start....It's a learning process for all.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I get $167/month in food stamps for myself and a 2 1/2 year old. We eat "healthy" and are able to buy lots of good quality and fresh food. I usually only have to put in a couple dollars of my own at the end of the month to make up the difference. It's all about using every single thing you buy. No waste. And stretching what you have. Yogurt, cheese, eggs, and bread and fruits and vegetables are NOT expensive.
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It's not expensive. I buy bulk chicken tenderloin, freeze it, and it lasts me 2 months. $20. Then I buy vegetables at aldis. I was buying processed foods, junk foods, and pops, and that stuff was way more expensive because I would eat so much of it. I used to spend $300 a month... now I spend about $100-$150.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    My grocery budget is $160/month and I'm not the hugest fan of meat. I eat chicken (rarely) and fish, and that's about it. Frozen, each cost about $10 for six to eight meals.

I also endorse frozen veggies. Peas, corn, whatever's on offer. Some of the canned stuff isn't too bad, either--just read labels carefully.

Look for things grown locally, too. I can get apples for $10/30 apples (they come in a BIG bag) because they're leftover from farms, and apples will keep six months if stored properly.

Beans and lentils are good if you like them. Pasta's cheap (usually $1.50 for enriched or protein-fortified kinds) even if it's not the absolute best thing for you. I also adore cottage cheese--a protein bomb that's pretty cheap.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", my husband is 6'2", neither of us is small (though now within healthy ranges). We hike a LOT, too...and we just spend about $40 per week on groceries and eat very healthy.

We also spend about $100 per week on meals out, but that's only like 3 meals. If we ate every meal at home we could easily still be around $50-60 per week for our food bill.

Everyone's given you great advice already but I'd add one more thing (knowing nothing about what you currently buy)...steer clear of all the "healthy snacks" that are pre-portioned for you. You pay a lot for the small packages and portioned snacks, and it's really not necessary. Weigh and/or measure your own portions and put them in a bag, dish, container, whatever. Things like protein bars and vitamin water and 100 cal packets of baked crackers (for example) seem inexpensive because of the sticker price but in the long run can become a huge blow to your grocery budget.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you just need to stick to your calorie goal. Some food has more nutrients for the amount of calories than others. You don't have to buy expensive food.

Plan meals. Planning will really help you if your budget is tight. Reduce waste by using what you buy.

A big pot of soup once a week is a good dollar stretcher. It can be a good way to use up leftover meat or vegetables. You can have leftover soup throughout the week or freeze for another day. A bean based or lentil soup is pretty cheap and filling. My family likes fassolatha, minestrone, ham and bean and lemon lentil soup.

Get things like oatmeal, rice, dry beans and lentils, pasta, potatoes, tuna, whole chicken, eggs, carrots, onions, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, peanut butter, bread, cheese, milk, garlic, celery, frozen vegetables, canned fruits or vegetables.

My family has enjoyed recipes from here-> http://www.budgetbytes.com/
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I know its not a good thing, but Hamburger Helper helps round out a week. Use your imagination and stack it with veggies. It adds alot to the meal.

Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff - Add onions, mushrooms, string beans
    Hamburger Helper Crunchy Taco - Onions, Red pepper, green pepper, tomatoes

Unfortunately that's all I think of at the moment.

Also Ramen - add some veggies to that, you can put in salad pieces or a frozen bag of mixed veggies, and/or canned meats - and canned soups
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Your secret weapon is anything canned and frozen. Get a jar of pickles for snacks - low in calories basically healthy - you probably can tell I might have a sodium problem