looking for something catchy to say so that ya'll comment.lol

Options
anyway i am 220lbs and was wondering is it unrealistic to want to lose a 2lbs weekly/1kg? my TDEE IS 1850

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible, if you maintain your deficit.
    Some people say that 2/week is only doable if your are morbidly obese. But I know that it depends on the person: your own metabolic rate, hormonal fluctuations etc...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    anyway i am 220lbs and was wondering is it unrealistic to want to lose a 2lbs weekly/1kg? my TDEE IS 1850

What's your age, height and current activity level?
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

IM 218LBs and i lose on average 1-2lbs a weekish.. i train 4 times weekly sometimes 5, with body combat and eat my tdee with a deficit.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... If your TDEE is really 1850, you'd have to cut 1000 calories a day to...850?

How did you calculate TDEE?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »
    Hmmmm... If your TDEE is really 1850, you'd have to cut 1000 calories a day to...850?

I suspect that TDEE isn't correct...

OP, how are you calculating your TDEE... or are you mixing TDEE and BMR?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I don't think the TDEE is correct unless you do VERY little during the day.

In any case, a generally recognised as "safe" amount to lose is 1% of total body weight per week. You should'nt have any issues losing 2 pounds per week at your current weight.

As you get closer to your goal weight this is obviously going to change.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Why not? Give it a shot and see how it goes. :)
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have...
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE

"Total Daily Energy Expenditure." It's a way to describe the total calories used in a day including your basic metabolic processes, your regular activity, and any extra exercise.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    rockmama72 wrote: »

I suspect that TDEE isn't correct...

OP, how are you calculating your TDEE... or are you mixing TDEE and BMR?

I was thinking that as well...my BMR at my heaviest was around 1700 @210lbs...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Did you mean your calorie goal in MFP is 1850? Because that seems like it would be about right.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It should be possible (assuming that TDEE is off, which I think it must be). Put in 2 lb/week in MFP and try to be consistent.
  • Curvygalslim
    Curvygalslim Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

What's your age, height and current activity level?

My age is 25 I am 5'8...activity only exercise I do so far is a walk for 45 minutes...so I would say minimal activity
  • Curvygalslim
    Options
    The site I used to calculate my TDEE and BMR gave me that...
    But I have used a different website and it has given me BMR-1794 and TDEE as 2152 is this right?
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    The site I used to calculate my TDEE and BMR gave me that...
    But I have used a different website and it has given me BMR-1794 and TDEE as 2152 is this right?

that sounds about right - did you enter your exercise? to get the deficit you want in order to lose weight subtract 500 from your tdee then tweak as the weeks goes by as its not an exact science, i had to tweak with my allowance. im on 1700 a day now and i train about 4 times a week.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    The Harris Benedict formula has your BMR around 1815 which would put your TDEE roughly around 2200 calories. Aiming for 2 lbs a week, you would have to be at 1200 calories, which for some people is a bit aggressive and doesn't allow for enough volume to sustain a deficit. Personally, I would suggest starting off around 1500 calories (since all of these are just estimates) and start using a food scale for all solid foods. I would probably also aim for 100-130g of protein (will help with satiety and can promote muscle retention). At some point, I would also recommend trying to incorporate some resistance training to your workout regime; this would include body weight training, use of weights or bands or a structured lifting program. Weight/Resistance training is very important as it will support your skeletal system (helps maintain metabolic functions, supports strong bones, supports muscle retention). Overall, if you exercise for 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week, I would probably do 3 days of resistance training and 2 days of cardio (walking). If you like the cardio effect, you can limit rest between reps/moves to around 30-60 seconds.

You are your own gym and convict conditions are good programs to start with or you could use a site like fitnessblender.com to find workouts.
  • Curvygalslim
    Options
    The Harris Benedict formula has your BMR around 1815 which would put your TDEE roughly around 2200 calories. Aiming for 2 lbs a week, you would have to be at 1200 calories, which for some people is a bit aggressive and doesn't allow for enough volume to sustain a deficit. Personally, I would suggest starting off around 1500 calories (since all of these are just estimates) and start using a food scale for all solid foods. I would probably also aim for 100-130g of protein (will help with satiety and can promote muscle retention). At some point, I would also recommend trying to incorporate some resistance training to your workout regime; this would include body weight training, use of weights or bands or a structured lifting program. Weight/Resistance training is very important as it will support your skeletal system (helps maintain metabolic functions, supports strong bones, supports muscle retention). Overall, if you exercise for 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week, I would probably do 3 days of resistance training and 2 days of cardio (walking). If you like the cardio effect, you can limit rest between reps/moves to around 30-60 seconds.

You are your own gym and convict conditions are good programs to start with or you could use a site like fitnessblender.com to find workouts.
    Thank you will definitely add resistance training to my lifestyle.Thank you
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I totally understand wanting to lose 2/week. But as you move forward remember that success at 1/week that you keep doing is better in the long run that a short sprint of 2/week that you burn out of and quit. 1200/day can be a grind and can be hard to sustain. 1700/day is a breeze:)

Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thank you will definitely add resistance training to my lifestyle.Thank you

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

Also, if you want to do a custom goal, the link above will help.

I would probably do 1500, 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Protein and fats should be minimums and carbs can be lowered.