Do you think skipping Breakfast is really all that bad?

Options
I wake up at 6AM... My morning routine usually consists of a full glass or two of water within 15 minutes of waking up... a large coffee with skim milk, sugar free vanilla, and a Sweet n Low within an hour of waking up.. and this can hold me over until 11AM.

Skipping Breakfast is definitely the easiest meal for me to skip without getting hunger pains... I tend to believe that as long as you're taking in the proper calories in a day, it doesn't matter what time of day the intake is occurring.. Thoughts?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    AlphaGnome wrote: »
    I wake up at 6AM... My morning routine usually consists of a full glass or two of water within 15 minutes of waking up... a large coffee with skim milk, sugar free vanilla, and a Sweet n Low within an hour of waking up.. and this can hold me over until 11AM.

Skipping Breakfast is definitely the easiest meal for me to skip without getting hunger pains... I tend to believe that as long as you're taking in the proper calories in a day, it doesn't matter what time of day the intake is occurring.. Thoughts?

that's right.

I personally eat about 2-300 calories for lunch and then eat the rest of my calories for dinner. It's up to personal preference.
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I tend to never eat breakfast unless I have a busy morning shift that goes through to lunch.. Otherwise i stick to lunch, dinner and a snack and that is normally enough for me! However everyone is different and a lot of people on MFP recommend eating breakfast
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it whatsoever, if it fits your lifestyle.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    meh

meal timing makes no difference to weight loss

so if it's what you like to do - do it
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, doesn't mater when or how you eat them.
    Meal timing is for hunger management.
    Your body can easily operate off your body fat and glycogen stores for longer then you will be able to stave off hunger.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    I skip it 6-7 days a week (sometimes eat breakfast on Sunday before football starts). Lunch and dinner with snacking up to when I go to bed has worked for me for years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KeepingFit4Me
    KeepingFit4Me Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I must admit I'm the same as you! I struggle to eat breakfast before 10.30am. I have a busy morning and don't feel ready to sit down and eat a breakfast until midmorning! The trouble is it pushes everything back! Lunch is around 2.30/3pm and then I'm eating my main meal 6/7pm.

I saw a dietician yesterday and one of the things she said was that I should eat more in the day and less at night (especially less carbohydrate). She said that I was eating most of my calories in the evening and then not burning them off! She recommended having a snack midmorning - I'm only having my breakfast then!!

Hope this helps!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I must admit I'm the same as you! I struggle to eat breakfast before 10.30am. I have a busy morning and don't feel ready to sit down and eat a breakfast until midmorning! The trouble is it pushes everything back! Lunch is around 2.30/3pm and then I'm eating my main meal 6/7pm.

I saw a dietician yesterday and one of the things she said was that I should eat more in the day and less at night (especially less carbohydrate). She said that I was eating most of my calories in the evening and then not burning them off! She recommended having a snack midmorning - I'm only having my breakfast then!!

Hope this helps!

I'd find a new dietician, honestly. It doesn't sound like she's worth whatever you're paying her.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

a dietician or a nutritionist?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!
    So what happened to the calories you burned off during the day? They don't count? CICO still matters whether you eat early in the day or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Your body can easily operate off your body fat and glycogen stores for longer then you will be able to stave off hunger.

One of the best things for my weight loss plan has been holding off eating until 930/10 coupled with not being worried about eating too late at night.

The "rule" for weight loss used to be... Eat within an hour or so of waking. But I would end up forcing myself to eat something and be hungrier by 10 am... Therefore increasing my calories.

I hate restrictive rules... I love being able to do what I want within the CICO context. I can attribute my 16 day streak and actually ENJOYING IT to this renewed thinking.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Fwiw. My meal pattern is similar to ninerbuff,

People that tell you you need to fuel up for the day with breakfast have been duped by the marketing I am sure came from breakfast food companies. I can easily put in a 40+ mile bike ride before my first meal of the day.

Hope this helps!

No it doesn't help as it is misinformation. Aka broscience
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

A registered dietician

Or a nutritionist?

So much rubbish in that I'm pretty sure the latter
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

I actually read a study a few days ago that indicated that carbs at night were better and increase digestion rate the next day....

OP I eat breakfast usually around 8am...but that's me...it's all different for everyone.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast. I'm not usually hungry until at least 11 or 12, and I've also found that waiting to eat until 1 PM or so helps with my blood sugar - if I eat first thing in the morning, it's pretty much guaranteed that I'll be a raving hungry lunatic all day. I also eat right up until I go to bed at 11 PM - hasn't affected my rate of loss at all.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter for weight loss when you eat your calories.
    For the way you function it might make a difference. If you are lethargic, hungry, cranky, have trouble focusing, etc all morning then maybe you should try eating something. If you feel fine and are doing well then don't eat until 11 AM if you don't want to.

I do best with a smallish breakfast and eat more calories later in the day.
  • AlphaGnome
    AlphaGnome Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    mhaskins08 wrote: »
    Camo_xxx wrote: »

One of the best things for my weight loss plan has been holding off eating until 930/10 coupled with not being worried about eating too late at night.

The "rule" for weight loss used to be... Eat within an hour or so of waking. But I would end up forcing myself to eat something and be hungrier by 10 am... Therefore increasing my calories.

I hate restrictive rules... I love being able to do what I want within the CICO context. I can attribute my 16 day streak and actually ENJOYING IT to this renewed thinking.

EXACTLY! It's been hammered into our heads that "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" The idea behind it is sound - give you energy to kick-start your day.. but it works against me - I find I am starving by 10 when I eat breakfast. Glad to hear this isn't just me! The easier it is for me to avoid hunger pains, the easier it's going to be for me to be successful this time around! Thanks all!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should eat breakfast . . . if they're hungry in the morning. There have been times in my life where I haven't made time for breakfast and I've been miserable because I am the type of person who is hungry in the morning. If I don't get breakfast, I feel awful and I want to compensate all day long.

Other people are happy with a cup of coffee or even just water. Why should those people force themselves to eat breakfast?

There are some people who really enjoy snacks -- I can usually go an entire day without them. We should pay attention to what meal timing works for us instead of assuming that everyone is the same.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    AlphaGnome wrote: »

It's only bad skipping breakfast if you love to eat breakfast, at least it would ruin my day. :)

Lots of people don't eat breakfast.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hope this helps!

Your dietitian is 100% wrong.