Are you going to keep your fat clothes?

Options

Replies

• marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I donated all of mine to Goodwill. My wedding dress was a size 14 and I still have it, so that's all the reminder I need of what could happen again! (plus I went on a shopping binge when I got down to goal weight, so I have no space to hoard clothing that doesn't fit)
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have it all ! from size 7-12 - I still haven't made it back into the smaller clothing... one day !
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I keep some of them to do things like scrub the floor (did that recently with vinegar) or serious knees on the ground weeding. If I can belt up the pants tight enough to prevent them from sliding off, I'll use a couple of them for the really dirty jobs. Same for one or two of the tops. Everything else went to Goodwill or the trash.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'd say I will get rid of things that don't don't fit but the reality is that they will get boxed up and sit for a few years because of procrastination not in case I gain weight again. I'm going to alter some things to fit my new size though.
    I don't think having bigger clothes around will make me gain weight again. I plan to keep weighing myself once a week and logging food for a long time.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I kept my bigger clothes for about 6 months after I hit maintenance.

Trying them on again was truly mind-blowing because I remember clothes that once fit me so tightly were literally falling off of me.

I ended up donating or giving some away, selling them or throwing clothes away. However, I did keep one pair of shorts that I was growing out of.

Now I can slide into one leg and have a little room to spare. It keeps me humble and reminds me how far I have come and serves as a reminder not to go back there (old eating habits, not being active etc.)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I didn't keep mine. I do keep stuff one size up, maybe 2 sizes if it still looks good with a certain outfit (example, 1X sweater that still works great with leggings + boots, but looks awful with jeans now). When I went on a hiking vacation to Michigan's U.P. and ate all of the pasties and cheese, I needed those size 12 jeans for a week. LMAO

I think it can be tempting to keep things that have gotten too big, especially if they're old faves, but one or two times catching yourself in a mirror and seeing how unflattering they fit now is pretty helpful at moving on.

I do have a t-shirt from my heaviest, it's a men's XXL and I sometimes wear it when I color my hair and my husband and I like to laugh at how it fits (like a dress, and if I raise my arms you can see all the way through the side armholes to the other side).
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my ugly clothes- the clothes I wore to hide myself from myself. I still have some too big clothes in the closet, but as they are nice articles of clothing, I'm thinking of selling them once I'm ready to part ways. I don't plan keeping any 14+ sizes around, that's for sure.
    I really like the idea of getting a few fitted non stretchy pieces as 'body check' wear. The clothes don't lie, but the brain lies all the time.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I do plan to have more kids and know that I don't lose weight by simply breastfeeding so I'm keeping my huge stuff. I don't want to go through the grief of shopping for a large size once again.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My goal was to get back into my old clothes from the first time I lost weight. I gave all my fat clothes, some of which were fairly new, to charity. Someone else can use them.

ETA: I still have my XL sweatshirt my brother bought me in San Francisco 20 years ago. THAT I will not give up. Just wore it last night. :)
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Not me. I am having the good quality expensive pieces tailored and the rest I donate.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Considering the last time I donated 7 bags of clothing, I gained 30 lbs back, yeah...probably. :)
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing my "fat clothes" this morning. They look a little better because squats :)
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    In the process of getting rid of stuff now. Anyone have places online they sold their plus size stuff? I've posted some things to a couple Facebook groups.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In the process of getting rid of stuff now. Anyone have places online they sold their plus size stuff? I've posted some things to a couple Facebook groups.

I gave away the vast majority of it. Last fall I posted on Craigslist saying that I had 4 or 5 bags of casual to dressy clothes sizes 14 through 18, all free but if you took one bag you had to take them all. The woman who came to get them was thrilled as she was in the middle of losing weight too.

The stuff I didn't give away on Craigslist I gave to family/friends.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've kept one pair of jeans in my biggest size ever, for comparisons and to remind me what I could go back to if I'm not careful. The rest I got rid of, I just don't have wardrobe space, plus seeing all my nice clothes that are too big just made me kind of sad because they were so pretty.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of clothing it is. T-shirts, stretch pants, etc, I'm keeping because I can wear those items even after losing weight. Those make great work out clothes or something to throw on while cleaning the house or yard. Other clothing I'll probably get rid of. I don't plan on"finding" my lost weight again so I won't need them.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Absolutely positively not. I am done, done, done with fat clothes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Nope, once clothes start to look ridiculously baggy on me, I give them to friends, Freecycle, or Goodwill.

I do save a few favorites/good quality/expensive pieces to be altered.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I gave everything away. Not planning to gain again, and hopefully if my clothes start to feel tight, running out of things to wear will be the wake up call I need.