Switch: How to Change Our Lives (warning: very long post)

Options
rankinsect
rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
edited October 2015 in Motivation and Support
I originally wrote this as a blog post, but decided to reproduce it here since this could be useful food for thought. It's quite long - I understand many won't read it, but I hope those who do find something beneficial here. If you're going to stick this post to the end, you might want to use the bathroom or get a coffee now.

It originated when I re-read Switch: How to Change Things when Change is Hard (disclaimer: I'm not associated with the book or authors in any way, it's just a book I read for professional growth). I thought about how the principles of the book can be applied to weight loss. I went through the book’s nine main sections and outlined how I am (or can) use each idea to try to make this a permanent lifestyle change, and not just another failed attempt at dieting. I've had quite enough of those.

The Metaphor
The basic metaphor the book uses is that we all have two facets of our personality – an analytical facet and an emotional facet – and that these can be thought of as a man riding an elephant.

The Rider is the analytical, rational part of our personality. The Rider’s main strength is its long-term outlook – the Rider is fine with sacrificing today for a benefit in the future. This is the part of the brain that makes plans for the future. It has a limited ability to control the Elephant for a time, but in a long-standing conflict, it won’t match the Elephant’s strength – the Elephant will eventually get its way. The Rider’s main weakness is decision paralysis – when the goal isn’t clear, the Rider can’t effectively lead.

The Elephant is the emotional facet of our personality. It is very strong, and can be very highly motivated – this is the driving force, the passion, behind what we do. Its strength is its boundless energy and determination. Its weakness is shortsightedness – it tends to seek immediate gratification even at a long-term cost.

The Path is the external world in which we live, and represents the third aspect of successful change.

The overall goal, then, of any successful change is threefold:
  1. Direct the Rider
  2. Motivate the Elephant
  3. Shape the Path

Direct the Rider
The Rider’s key weakness is decision paralysis – when the desired outcome isn’t clear, the Rider is ineffective. The Rider needs a clear direction, and it needs to understand how to be successful.

Find the Bright Spots

What do you do if you don’t actually know the clear direction you need to go? One technique is to find the bright spots. What were days when your diet was the easiest to stick to? What was different about those days? Are there certain foods that you find very satisfying? Are there certain situations where you have an easier time managing your eating? Learn the things that are working well, and apply those lessons. For example, I found a number of meal options that, for me, keep me full for a very long time. These options now form the core part of my diet.

Script the Critical Moves

Another reason the Rider fails is because there are too many competing objectives. If I look at my diet, there are many things I’d like to do. I’ve got ARFID/SED, which means I have phobias that restrict the kinds of foods I can manage to eat. My meal timing and sizes are about the opposite of what a nutritionist would recommend. I eat too much fat and too little fiber. I could go on. In fact, if you look at the USDA recommendations for food intake, it’s a 95 page long document, where even the executive summary’s key recommendations contain between 23 and 28 recommendations depending on your population group! Even worse, many of the recommendations are so vague as to be useless – “reduce X”? To what level? With an overwhelming amount of vague recommendations, it’s no wonder the Rider doesn’t even know where to begin – this document seems designed to ensure decision paralysis!

However, none of these are the really critical pieces. In fact, if I just keep my calories under control, I can lose weight. All the other things can wait for another time. MyFitnessPal helps give me a clear calorie goal. Now the Rider has clarity – all I need to do is keep one number (my daily calories eaten) under another (my daily calorie goal). That’s a direction the Rider can understand and follow without decision paralysis.

Point to the Destination

You need a really clear goal. Sure, I want to be thinner, and sure, I want to be better looking, and sure, I want to be healthier, but none of those are really a great goal I can hold up. So when I was thinking about why I wanted to diet, I thought “What are all the things I would want to do, but can’t because of the limits of my body?” I came up with two of these. The first thing I decided was I want to climb Kilimanjaro. The second was to SCUBA dive the Great Barrier Reef, without running the risk of a pod of orcas mistaking me for one of their own.

Motivate the Elephant
The Elephant is critical to have on your side during any major change. It’s much stronger than the Rider can ever be, and its energy is necessary for a long-term goal. To get the Elephant on the same side as the Rider takes different techniques.

Find the Feeling

You need to feel very emotional about the change. Different emotions can drive change – fear, hope, optimism. Positive emotions are more useful in this case – if you’re as obese as I am, chances are you have enough negative feelings about yourself, you don’t really need more. Keeping optimistic and feeling the anticipation of every little goal along the way is critical.

Shrink the Change

The Elephant can be naturally afraid of big, ambitious changes. Remember, it likes quick gratification and immediate results. Part of shrinking the change goes along with something I mentioned earlier – you need to find the smallest possible change that leads you to your goal. I didn’t make other changes to my diet, even if I want to eventually. Focus on one change at a time. Part of this is setting a lot of smaller goals – I have a belt that is tan on the inside. Every time I can move to a new notch, I take a Sharpie and write the date I first used that notch on my belt. It’s a small success, but it’s important to celebrate every small success, even if the celebration is just writing on your clothing. Every 5 pounds, I have a new goal for the next 5 pounds. The Elephant thrives on a series of tiny, achievable tasks.

Grow Your People (Grow Yourself)

Wait, isn’t the point of this to shrink myself? :) Part of change is to mentally prepare yourself for the task. You need to realize there will be setbacks, and you need to see these as merely steps on the ultimate path to success. A reporter once asked Edison how it felt to have failed 1,000 times before inventing the light bulb. Edison’s reply? “I didn’t fail. The light bulb was an invention with 1,000 steps.” Sometimes I won’t meet my calorie goals. Sometimes I will do all the right things and not see changes on the scale for a time. These are simply part of the 1,000 steps to success.

Another way to grow oneself is to make the changes part of your identity. I am “the kind of person” who works out three times a week. I am “the kind of person” who watches what he eats. I am “a hiker”, in spite of the fact I haven’t actually hiked in the past few months. Making your goals into part of your identity helps make the changes easier for the Elephant.

Shape the Path
The last of the three elements that makes change easier or harder is the Path, that is, the environment in which the change occurs. Specifically, that portion of the environment that you have some control over.

Tweak the Environment

What are ways where you can make it easier to do the right thing, and harder to do the wrong thing? For example, if I look at my previous eating habits, I binged a lot on certain foods. For example, I often would buy a box of donuts (rationalizing that the box is cheaper than the individual donuts) and eat them much faster than I intended. How can I tweak my environment? Well, one thing I could do is not buy donuts anymore. That keeps me from eating any at all. Or, if I wanted donuts sometimes, I can buy one at a time. Or, I could buy a box, take each donut out and individually freeze it. Cravings and binges are the Elephant, not the Rider – and by freezing the donuts (rendering them unusable for instant gratification), their rationing out is now the sole duty of the Rider, which handles the long-term planning like taking food out of the freezer for tomorrow’s meals.

Build Habits

I personally use Habitica to track my habits in a fun, “gamified” way. The more that you make things into habits, the less pressure the Rider needs to use to keep the Elephant in line.

One trick for building habits quickly is preloading decisions – plan in advance what you will do and when. For example, I plan my meals in advance, and this keeps me in the habit of eating within the limits I set. When I get home, and I’m hungry, and I want something to eat, I already know what it’s going to be and I can just start to do it.

Rally the Herd

The last aspect of the path is the people you surround yourselves with. Their attitudes and actions have a big impact on your perspective. I am lucky enough to have a great friend who is dieting with me. Additionally, on this diet, unlike others, I became active in the MyFitnessPal community, so I’m surrounded by people who are doing what I am doing and focused very intently upon it.

Replies

• Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This is great! But not just for motivating weight loss. I want a cleaner house with less clutter. The elephant wants me to keep all this stuff around. The rider wants to paint and decorate but the elephant is afraid to make a move. So thank you, the rider is setting a plan in motion, starting with my daughters room. She only has 2 days of school next week. The plan is now set! I have to rally the troops.
  • rankinsect
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    This is great! But not just for motivating weight loss. I want a cleaner house with less clutter. The elephant wants me to keep all this stuff around. The rider wants to paint and decorate but the elephant is afraid to make a move. So thank you, the rider is setting a plan in motion, starting with my daughters room. She only has 2 days of school next week. The plan is now set! I have to rally the troops.

The book actually has a good tip about cleaning - if your biggest problem is motivation, try to set a time limit (i.e. "I'll clean for 5 minutes / 10 minutes / etc."

It shrinks the change, and it gives the elephant an easy win - something that its short-term nature finds very gratifying. That helps motivate the next 5 minutes, and so on.
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I really needed this.
  • rankinsect
    Options
    Oh, and some other thoughts that came to me on the book:

When the Rider tries and fails, it's mainly from fatigue. It can only oppose the Elephant for so long before the Elephant's strength overwhelms the Rider. The solution here is to work on getting the Elephant on board with the change, and reduce the conflict, such as by shaping the path.

When the Elephant tries and fails, it's mainly from discouragement. The Elephant, much more than the Rider, is discouraged by setbacks and delays. The solution here is to build in lots of small victories to boost the Elephant's confidence, and try to build habits and identities, which are more resilient in the face of discouragement.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic. Thank you for the long post! I love the metaphor.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to read this book. Thanks for the post.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Had a pee, made some coffee, rode an elephant this spring ( really), and enjoyed the read.
    Now I will have a glass of wine and digest.

Cheers, h.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the cliff notes! This is exactly the post I was looking for today!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    This is GREAT! Thank you! I, too, like the metaphor and I'll definitely read the book.
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    This. Is. Fantastic. Thank you for sharing!
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Wow. That was wonderful. I am going to get that book from the library. It turns out that I have done many of the things you said, already!

There are a few that I haven't done, paticularly the idea of making your good habits your identity. I still tend to think (and say), "Who would ever believe that I work out at a gym, or run 5k races?"

I am going to start thinking, "I'm a runner" and "I'm the kind of person who has a gym membership".

Thank you very much for you thoughts on the book.

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I love it!
  • Daphnejean1
    Daphnejean1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please give me more food for my mind and motivation. I loved this thank you
  • rankinsect
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If any of you are interested, I'm about to start reading The Power of Habit. I plan to do a synopsis similar to this one when I finish. I'll add a note to this thread when I do, so if you bookmark this one you'll get notified.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Nice post. This is the kind of thing that keeps me coming back to the MFP forums.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Loved this, thank you for sharing and I will look forward to the new part as well!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. Lots of really good positive advice in there. I love the Edison quote.
  • rankinsect
    Options
    I eventually finished the other book I was reading. I posted my synopsis here. I did cut out a lot of stuff from the book, as many aspects were focused on the habits of groups and communities, but I picked out the parts about individual habits I found most useful.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The rider, the elephant, and the path -- thanks