Plateau and loosing motivation

Options
Where shall I start:ohwell: I started in January and in that month and Feb was loosing weight easily and exercising every other day then on 2 March I damaged the tendon in my foot and ended up with tendonitis (total nightmare with cortisone injections :cry: ). Good news mid May was that I was able to start exercising again but had to take it steady and not do anything too high of an impact on my foot for first 4 weeks then I could start my usual routine.

But since begining of May I have been stuck at 19lb or 20lb loss (putting a pound on then loosing a pound). I have been sticking to the calories and coming in anything up to 100 below my 1480 daily allowance. Since begining of May three days of the week I walk to the school to pick my children up and walk back which is 1 hour round trip which I actually enjoy :happy: . Its getting back into doing the exercise DVD's that I am having trouble with, I seem to have lost all motivation to do them.

Any suggestions on how to get the mojo back to do them would be appreciated as my last result would be to get the kids a cattle prod so they can shock me into exercising :laugh: ?

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • alyssaodriscoll
    alyssaodriscoll Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The good news is that it is summertime and it's great to get outside! Instead of staying at home with exercise DVDs, how about taking your children out for a swim, on some hiking trails, kayaking, biking, etc.? It's fun, they are able to go with you, and it gets you away from Jillian Michaels for the millionth time!
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi

You have done well so far.

Are you doing ok with food? Plenty of water etc? (I cant see your diary). I got stuck for a while and cut back on carbs and increased protein - only eating carbs at breakie (peanut butter on toast) and then having cottage cheese, salad, prawns, tuna, lots salad and veg. and that got me going again.

I also do Jillian Michaels, and I find unless I do it before everything else, eg house work, shopping, cooking etc I dont get it done.

Maybe change your exercise to running in park with kids? football with them? make it more fun. Swimming? x
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible time sticking to the DVDs and have better luck with the wii. I have zumba and all of the EA Sport Active games. For what ever reason, the virtual feedback helps to keep me going.
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Food is not a issue and I am drinking 8-9 glasses of water a day plus 4 cups of tea as well. I think once the rain stays away for long enough during the summer it will be nice walks along the river. I think my main problem is trying to fit the exercise in after getting home from school and starting tea. Just need to kick myself up the bottom and get on with it.

Thanks for all your suggestions will give them a try might give the wii a go tonight as I am only using it at the moment to weigh myself.
  • evenidomhnaill
    Options
    if on the wii I found that doing the steps while watching a favorite program works great half an hour or an hour flies by and you've done a workout and got to watch a bit of telly. Thats multitasking! You could also have small weights to work your arms at the same time so extra calories burned
  • Bel811
    Bel811 Posts: 38
    Options
    Hey, totally understand what you are going through. I have just returned to exercise after numerous months off injured and then further 2 due to surgery. Getting back the motivation takes a LONG time... but if you keep making yourself do something you'll start to get into that new routine and it does get easier.
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks Bel nice to know not alone in this. I am just going to have to grit my teeth and get through the exercising and hopefully it will become easier, at the moment its like a chore.

I hope that you are able to get back into it yourself and wish you all the luck on this hard journey we are taking.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi, Is there any way you can do the exercise in the morning? Get up 30/40 mins earlier? I have started to do this and then at night (after work) I have plenty of time to do the house stuff, walk dogs, shopping etc, (I dont have kids though so I imagine you are alot busier). x