Grocery shopping.

Options

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Maybe try looking on Pinterest for "Meal Prep for Fitness" (or something like that) The idea first became popular with Pro Fitness people that needed to have strict control of their meals, so they often eat 100% self-made meals, pack them in a cooler and take them along wherever they go.

But lately, it has become a super popular concept with anyone that's fitness inclined. Even on Instagram they have tags like "meal prep Sunday"

But I digress, online you can find Meal Prep lists and plans that make it so that you pretty much cook once, maybe twice, a week and then you are done with all the cooking (presumably so you can go on to work, school, put in time at the gym etc..) and still remain on track.

It is easy to grab a pizza or a TV dinner, but it is just as easy to get a bag of "steam in bag" broccoli, Brussels sprouts, brown rice or green beans and pair it with the protein you prepped for the week. (you can grill a TON of marinated chicken breast in little time and with very little clean up time after)

I used to looooove to cook. And spend time researching recipes, and go grocery shopping etc... But I now loathe it all-- so now I make it simple: dinner is Chipotle style (protein, often grilled) and a choice of starch and a whole bunch of veggies (salad for me & my H) cut up veggies for the kids.

Lunch can be as easy as tuna packed in olive oil with a baked sweet potato and fruit.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs or omelet.

It is not super exciting, and yeah sometimes I feel like Rib City would be MUCH easier for me. (and sometimes I indulge) But I want to reach my goals, and TV Dinners and beer are not going to get me there...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Instead of buying a boxed dinner, buy some meat and veggies. You have to buy something, might as well buy something healthy.

It really doesn't take that long to write a few items down on a piece of paper. Some of the recipe sites even have grocery lists generated for you, so all you do is print it out.

If you want to eat frozen dinners eat them. But if you want to eat healthy, it's just not that darn hard. Flip through cookbooks while you watch TV. Part of changing your lifestyle. :)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take much more effort to put a chicken in the oven to roast than to put a frozen pizza in the oven to bake.

Almost everyone is busy. That's almost always a cop out answer to rationalize laziness.

+1

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add, take a look at this website:
    http://myfridgefood.com/

You plug in the ingredients that you already have at home, and it yields recipe results based on those things.

Much faster than trying to search something in the whole internet in the hopes that you will have all of the ingredients at hand, IMO
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    mamarissy wrote: »
    I do not have the time nor energy to sit down and come up with healthy meals and create grocery lists for them so I know exactly what to buy at the grocery store. Between work and kids, I find is much easier to just grab a frozen pizza and some boxed Mac n cheese. How do you all find the time/motivation to come up with a grocery list and recipes and everything and stick to them?

I know how much time & money a grocery list saves me, for starters. I like meals with my family to be made from quality and varied food, enjoyable, satisfying. I get that not everyone is going to love cooking like I do, but you can certainly upgrade from frozen pizzas and boxed Mac & Cheese. You know you can!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I find the time because I enjoy the process, honestly. I look up recipes when I have downtime at work, import them to MFP and pre-log them in the evenings, and fit in my shopping whenever I can. As for the actual cooking, I rely HEAVILY on my slow-cooker -- almost every dinner I eat comes out of that lovely machine.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take much more effort to put a chicken in the oven to roast than to put a frozen pizza in the oven to bake.

Almost everyone is busy. That's almost always a cop out answer to rationalize laziness.

Or go get take out. Honestly I never get the 'I don't have time to cook so I buy frozen pizza and take out' excuse. It takes me 10 minutes tops to make chicken and veggies for dinner.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I leave my home around 6 am. We get back around 5:30 pm. I have 4 kids ages 3, 12, 15, 17. I cook every night. I do enjoy cooking but as stated above it doesn't take no more time than convenient prepacked foods. If I'm having spaghetti, I will brown my hamburger meat with an extra pound or so. Drain well and store in a ziploc bag in freezer. When I want tacos, more spaghetti, etc, I have meat ready to go. Defrost and roll with it. Doesn't take much more time to brown 3 pound of meat than 1 1/2. You can do the same with chicken and other proteins. Make extra. Store in ziploc and next time you main course is ready. I cook meals that I can put in the oven and do my housework. Roasted chicken, tenderloin. I even brown my seasoned chicken breast then finish in oven to cook them without drying them out. I think the problem is too many people try to overcomplicate things. Pick a protein and two healthy sides. Frozen corn, broccoli, peas, carrots, etc. don't take much time to cook.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I fully admit that I'm lazy and don't want to spend a bunch of time cooking (especially since it's just me at home). One of the things I did was to sit down ONE time and type up a list of foods I like to have around (veggies, proteins, pasta, cheese, milk, eggs, etc.). I just print it out and circle the foods I need that week. Saves time on list-making/planning, and ensures I have the staples I need for quick, easy meal prep. Having the list helps me not make impulse purchases, especially when I accidentally go to the store hungry.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Remember that EVERYTHING you do when you are raising kids, they learn from. You can't preach to them about making good choices when they see you consistently taking the easy way out and making poor choices.
    One thing that helped me was making large amounts of something and freezing small portions for later.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I know it's dated, so maybe there's new versions, but I recommend Rachael Ray's 30-minute meals. The whole concept is that in the time it takes to bake a pizza, you can make a homemade meal. At first, you can just use her recipes as the shopping list. They're fairly family-friendly, easy, and if there's a weird ingredient you can't find (let's say capers) she often will tell you an easy replacement (or you can just skip it).

Get the book, get it from the library, pick 3 meals this week to make. Make the grocery list. YES, it'll take half an hour to pick the recipes and make the list. But next week, you'll already have the list made and the food picked.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    I liked Rachael Ray's 30-minute meals on TV but her tone doesn't come across in the cookbooks. (Never-the less, the cookbooks would still be useful.)

Looks like you can get all 28 season online: http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/30-minute-meals/episodes.html
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Www.emeals.com if you are truly absolutely clueless about these things. For a small fee, it will plan your week of meals, give you a grocery list, and provide instructions for every single dish. They have several different plan options including vegetarian, low fat, paleo, diabetic, clean, etc.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I liked Rachael Ray's 30-minute meals on TV but her tone doesn't come across in the cookbooks. (Never-the less, the cookbooks would still be useful.)

Looks like you can get all 28 season online: http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/30-minute-meals/episodes.html

I definitely recommend the book so the ingredients are already made into a list. Just my point of view based on the OP's habits and saying she's too busy to make a list.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Once you start cooking, you will figure out how to make things without a recipe, you'll end up memorizing some recipes and you'll learn how to adapt recipes to suit your family. It does get easier!
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My most efficient time saving tip is get a crock pot. Just last night before bed (9 pm), I put in a bag of carrots, a roast (not an expensive cut) on top of that, then added potatoes (didn't even peel them), then added a box of Beef Stock, with a dash of soy sauce, salt and pepper and let it cook all night (yes 8 hours). Got up this morning and it was done and I shredded the meat, stirred it up, and put it in the fridge. I will add some boxed Mac n' Cheese as a side ...since my fiancé gets more calories than I do and we will have this for several days and can use it in many different ways (with tortillas, with a salad, etc.). Can't get any easier.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I know it's dated, so maybe there's new versions, but I recommend Rachael Ray's 30-minute meals. The whole concept is that in the time it takes to bake a pizza, you can make a homemade meal. At first, you can just use her recipes as the shopping list. They're fairly family-friendly, easy, and if there's a weird ingredient you can't find (let's say capers) she often will tell you an easy replacement (or you can just skip it).

Get the book, get it from the library, pick 3 meals this week to make. Make the grocery list. YES, it'll take half an hour to pick the recipes and make the list. But next week, you'll already have the list made and the food picked.

I've been cooking for 2 years and I still don't make fancy recipes with fancy ingredients. If it has more than 6 ingredients, I don't even look at it.

Start small. There's no need to start with 'recipes'. One protein with seasoning, veggies, another side if you want (lettuce, rice, potatoes, whatever), and you have a meal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Start small. There's no need to start with 'recipes'. One protein with seasoning, veggies, another side if you want (lettuce, rice, potatoes, whatever), and you have a meal.

When I first started cooking regularly, thinking about it this way, and focusing on using what I had at home, is what made it simple for me too.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    you just have to find the time just like you find the time to do other stuff. The more you do it, the easier and quicker it becomes. Use google. there are websites out there that give u a shopping list along with a recipe. take a few minutes to read some recipes, youll find you have much of the stuff already.
  • StellaRose227
    StellaRose227 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just do it. I know that sounds glib, but that's the truth. I find recipes and bookmark them on my phone. I make my shopping list from that, categorizing each item by department/location at the store, which makes shopping faster. While at the store, I also grab anything that's on sale that I would normally buy. Especially meat. For example, last week I got beef stir fry, roast, and boneless, skinless chicken breasts that were getting close to their use by date for significantly less than they normally are (> $1/lb off). I also buy chicken in bulk twice a year. After I get home from shopping, I put the list of meals on a white board in my kitchen. As I make each meal, I mark it off so that I know what meals I still have the ingredients for. I do this 2 weeks at a time. When it's time to make dinner, I can pull up the recipe on my phone.