Anyone notice a slight gain the day after an intense workout

Options
Good morning all! Trying to figure out if I'm the only one this happens to. On days when I work out extra hard, I notice a slight increase on the scale the next day. Maybe due to swollen muscles retaining water? I'm not sure. Anyway, I weigh everyday but count it "officially" on Fridays. I'm thinking of just doing some light cardio today to see how that effects the numbers tomorrow. Thoughts??

Replies

• JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    yep. Weight goes up after strength training for sure.

Muscles hang on to water cos they're in full recovery mode. Eat more protein.
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    my weight defo goes up the day after each work out. so I have to have a rest day before my official weigh in day, crazy huh??
    xxx
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Ive noticed that also. Right after an hr session of Body Pump or just wgt lifting im up at least 1/2-1lbs the next day, Gets frustrating not knowing whats going on
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yup, I definitely do! I too try to plan the day before my official weigh in as a rest day or at least a very light cardio day.
  • stoneman1970
    stoneman1970 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you have reached your goal weight maybe it is time to check your measurements rather than rely on weight - it is actually a more precise measurement as it takes account of muscle growth.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    my weight defo goes up the day after each work out. so I have to have a rest day before my official weigh in day, crazy huh??
    xxx

That's exactly what I'm planning to do today. Nothing! Well, I walk my dog because I have to- but I'm thinking nothing too extreme because of the weigh in tomorrow.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If you have reached your goal weight maybe it is time to check your measurements rather than rely on weight - it is actually a more precise measurement as it takes account of muscle growth.

I'm about 6lb from my goal weight (I only wanted to lose 10 anyway). I know, I know, "vanity lbs" they say. It is vanity- I'm getting married and want to look a little thinner!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, I usually see the benefit after 48 hours, not 24. it evens itself out though through the week.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight I was wondering why I weighed alot more
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I noticed that too, but I also have to check my body fat # on those days as well, which ends up being SIGNIFICANTLY lower than it is usually. It is frustrating, but like it's already been said here, it's nice to know what's actually going on. I'm going to "try" to rest today & bulk up on my protein & see what happens tomorrow, as it's my "official" weigh in day as well.
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    are you making sure to warm down after an intense work out? it helps the body to to recover and get rid of any lactic acid buildup. I am not saying that the lactic acid is sticking around long enough to show up on the scale the next day, but you may need to warm down to help your muscles recovery so they don't retain so much water.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Hot baths, protein and lots of water helps combat the lactic acid build up. If you're sore, then you're more or less guaranteed to be retaining water (and therefore, grams).
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    This has only happeend to me (so far) on days where I do strength training. Even if I do really really intense cardio, if I drink enough water and eat protein I'm usually fine the next day. But strength training? Yea 1 lb...around there. It's gone the next day though, as long as you don't eat 100000 cals that day :)
  • jmconway1
    jmconway1 Posts: 29
    Options
    I noticed this today! Today is supposed to be my weigh-in day, and I had my most intense workout yesterday. Slight gain of 0.2 lbs, but I feel so much thinner. I think I'll take it slow today and do a weigh-in tomorrow. Thanks!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    How timely is this! I did a pretty intense workout last night and yes indeed, my scale hates me for it. (Okay, "hate" is strong for a 1 pound gain...but still!)

Thanks for the insight, y'all!