Protein Shake Recommenations

Hi. I'm new to this protein shake and weight training world. Can anyone recommend a good protein shake that I can take after workouts that isn't too expensive and doesn't have a bunch of fillers in it?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    There really is no need to have a pre or post workout protein shake (some more current research would suggest ingesting some carbs/protein 2 hours either before or after) . Your total daily protein intake is more important.

Powders I like: Muscle Milk, Dynmatize, EAS, Body Fortress, Pure Protein and Premier Protein

But protein powders are highly subjective in terms of taste. Most like ON, but I don't.
  • yappledapple40s
    yappledapple40s Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks, I'll try going to W.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    I use MetRx. It's a good protein source and low on carbs.
    Many of the cheaper, lower quality protein shakes & bars use soy which the human body has a hard time digesting. I was surprised to find that EAS uses a lot of soy in their products.

For a high quality protein bar I would suggest Quest bars. Low net carb count, quality protein and typically 17-18 grams of fiber.
  • yappledapple40s
    yappledapple40s Posts: 4 Member
    Where do you get MetRx?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Protein shakes and poweders are just like anything else,you get what you pay for...

I can say that if you want to buy at Walmart, the Muscle Milk (knockout chocolate) is the best big store brand that I have used and best taste

For additional info: I use Dymatize ISO-100 (it is a powder) (gourmet chocolate, birthday cake and vanilla all mix well, taste great and lower in carbs than some) This powder and the muscle milk does make me bloat, etc.. like some powders or shakes do ..

Just to look around "protein powder world" out there, take a trip to bodybuilding.com. They have reviews on their site.

• N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Where do you get MetRx?
    www.BodyBuilding.Com
    www.Netrition.Com

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    I drink the Premier Protein shakes from Costco. They are 30 grams of protein for only 160 calories. They come in chocolate, vanilla or strawberry. I like the chocolate the best.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    gia07 wrote: »
    Protein shakes and poweders are just like anything else,you get what you pay for...

Have to disagree, the Body Fortress is reasonably priced and I love the chocolate, strawberry and vanilla flavors. A lot of fitness foods are overpriced, the BF shakes are not.

• kashmiridibber
    kashmiridibber Posts: 17 Member
    edited October 2015
    I like FitMiss! Low carb, 16 g of protein, and for $19.99 at Walgreens. The taste it great, not chalky, and you get about a pound of product which lasts me almost a month. Oh and they are only 90 calories!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    gia07 wrote: »

I can say that if you want to buy at Walmart, the Muscle Milk (knockout chocolate) is the best big store brand that I have used and best taste

For additional info: I use Dymatize ISO-100 (it is a powder) (gourmet chocolate, birthday cake and vanilla all mix well, taste great and lower in carbs than some) This powder and the muscle milk does make me bloat, etc.. like some powders or shakes do ..

Just to look around "protein powder world" out there, take a trip to bodybuilding.com. They have reviews on their site.

I disagree on the bold.. perfect example is shakeology... i would have to sell a baby to afford that and it taste like chalk... actually chalk might taste better.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    I'm lactose intolerant and have tried every brand that does not have lactose, but most tasted like chalk and were pretty gross. The only brand I like is Jay Robb's chocolate, which is lactose free and low in carbs. A 24 oz bag costs me about $45 at Whole Foods, but I use it on weight lifting days only, and I don't generally use an entire serving, so it lasts me quite a while.
  • bella2535
    bella2535 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi
  • iamtheboss69123
    iamtheboss69123 Posts: 10 Member
    Dymatize is really good, great tasting, low calorie, high protein, cheap too.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I'm lactose intolerant and have tried every brand that does not have lactose, but most tasted like chalk and were pretty gross. The only brand I like is Jay Robb's chocolate, which is lactose free and low in carbs. A 24 oz bag costs me about $45 at Whole Foods, but I use it on weight lifting days only, and I don't generally use an entire serving, so it lasts me quite a while.

Have you tried GNC's egg white protein? My husband can't have dairy and uses it - I've even used some when out of my whey protein - it is quite good!