Having Trouble Hitting my Macros...

Options
I'm having trouble hitting my macros everyday, either I'm over or under.

Any tips would be welcome on how you balance your macros meal to meal and/or meal ideas with nicely balanced macros. Feel free to take a look at my diary.

Also, I set custom macros based on various advice I had seen, do these look right to anyone, based on my stats? I'm 5'5", CW:215, BF%: 35 (this probably is not accurate but I'm sure it's close enough, using it more as a gauge in changes, I use the handheld BF calculator)

Also, on days that I exercise I try to eat about 1800 calories to compensate but I don't workout until late at night so I never know how many macros I should hit on those days - I'm still working on coming up with something more reliable.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Well, how far off are we talking here? I mean I rarely (read - only by mere coincidence) ever hit my macros exactly.

I use them as a guide, particularly when choosing side dishes/snacks.

If I've got 300 calories left for the day, and I'm pretty low on fat - I'll grab some cheese and/or ice cream. Low on protein? Maybe I'll grab some jerky or mix up a protein shake.

I figure if I'm +/- 5 to 10% I don't really sweat it. It will pretty much even out over time.

Now, if we're talking a goal of 100 g of protein and you're consistenly only getting 20...then yeah that's a problem.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I would probably up my protein to at least .8 grams per pound and more if you are lifting or trying to maintain or build any muscle at all. I set my overall calories for working out 4-6 hours a week and don't move up and down on a daily basis.. It makes meal planning much easier for me. I wouldn't worry about hitting things right on.. you will find your rhythm.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would probably up my protein to at least .8 grams per pound and more if you are lifting or trying to maintain or build any muscle at all. I set my overall calories for working out 4-6 hours a week and don't move up and down on a daily basis.. It makes meal planning much easier for me. I wouldn't worry about hitting things right on.. you will find your rhythm.

Thanks, okay I adjusted to
    carb: 136g at 35%
    fat: 35g at 20%
    protein: 175g at 45%

I'm doing Strong Lifts, some resistance training and cardio (working out about 4x a week)
    I'm doing the TDEE method and using a custom calorie count based on that because I have a job where I sit ALL day so on days I don't work out, I'm not getting any activity. I always burn at least 250 in the gym (but kept at that to adjust for error/be conservative) so that's where I get the 1800 on workout days.
    Thanks for the advice.
  • revolucia78
    Options
    Well, how far off are we talking here? I mean I rarely (read - only by mere coincidence) ever hit my macros exactly.

I use them as a guide, particularly when choosing side dishes/snacks.

If I've got 300 calories left for the day, and I'm pretty low on fat - I'll grab some cheese and/or ice cream. Low on protein? Maybe I'll grab some jerky or mix up a protein shake.

I figure if I'm +/- 5 to 10% I don't really sweat it. It will pretty much even out over time.

Now, if we're talking a goal of 100 g of protein and you're consistenly only getting 20...then yeah that's a problem.

Thanks!
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options

Have you thought about flipping the percentage of fats and carbs?

Also as the other posters mentioned, use it a gauge on what to eat to balance out your remaining calories. Your body is not super efficient at processing down to the specific gram so if you are not spot on no big deal....consistency is key and will get you further in the long run!
    Cheers =]
  • revolucia78
    Options
    dcshima wrote: »

Have you thought about flipping the percentage of fats and carbs?

Also as the other posters mentioned, use it a gauge on what to eat to balance out your remaining calories. Your body is not super efficient at processing down to the specific gram so if you are not spot on no big deal....consistency is key and will get you further in the long run!
    Cheers =]

Thanks! I'll give it a go if this doesn't work. I tend towards more carbs and not a lot of fat most of the time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You are WAY off on your settings. 45% protein, that is totally unnecessary, potentially dangerous, and almost impossible to reach. 25-30% is plenty. Instead, up your fat. 30-35% is recommended by government/official health thingys, I personally end up around 40-45% fat. The rest will be carbs. As you see, this is all about preference. This means that you don't have to hit the numbers exactly every day, and certainly not for every meal. The macro split should reflect YOUR needs and preferences, so you may have to play with the numbers for a bit until you find your sweet spot, and you may have to or want to switch thing up again later.
  • revolucia78
    Options
    You are WAY off on your settings. 45% protein, that is totally unnecessary, potentially dangerous, and almost impossible to reach. 25-30% is plenty. Instead, up your fat. 30-35% is recommended by government/official health thingys, I personally end up around 40-45% fat. The rest will be carbs. As you see, this is all about preference. This means that you don't have to hit the numbers exactly every day, and certainly not for every meal. The macro split should reflect YOUR needs and preferences, so you may have to play with the numbers for a bit until you find your sweet spot, and you may have to or want to switch thing up again later.

Thanks, I was basing my macros on the above recommendation (as well as many calculators such as IIFYM macro calc and bodybuilding.com. I wasn't actually reaching these levels hence the thread but thanks for the warning. Through a little research, you're right - the .8g per pound of body weight that many recommend is supposed to be .8kg and .36g per lb, so that's why it's so off. Through more quick (by no means comprehensive) research I think the levels I have aren't dangerous, just high but acceptable since I'm lifting. Through some quick reading by more reputable sources protein intake doesn't get dangerous until about 1g per lb or more. I will most likely readjust my macros though, thanks. I don't think I could/would want to eat that much fat - I tend to get my fats from salad dressings, PB and the like so I don't get enough to reach those levels (except when I eat fish) but I'm going to keep looking into it and adjusting to find the right levels for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    .8 g of protein per lb is too high if you have a good bit of weight to lose. Generally the recommendation is based on lean body mass. The proxy based on body weight is that you typically get some benefit from up to .65 g-.85 g per lb of body weight, but again that assumes that you don't have a higher than ideal body fat percentage, so I think it makes sense to eat at about .8 g per lb of goal weight.

I'm 5'3 and my goal weight is 118 (round up to 120) and so I aim for about 96 g of protein as a minimum. (I usually eat more just because, but generally 100-120.)

Fat and carb percentages are largely personal preference and just how you feel best. I aim for about 150-200 grams of carbs and around 50 g of fat, but I don't worry too much if I'm off some, so long as I am hitting my calories. I'd mostly watch for a while and start adjusting a little -- that's how I initially upped my protein some.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I believe recommended protein is around 0.8-1 g/KG...not pounds (So 78-97g). I've seen 0.8-1 g/lb of Lean Mass.

I'm guessing that you're a lady. So am I. I strive for about 0.8g/kg and follow SL 5x5 twice a week. I just try to get close to my protein goal, but don't get there very often. Once in a while I go over, but that's not a big deal.

I tend toward a lower carb way of eating, so don't worry about those or fat (which takes care of itself with my preferences).

In summary, I pay attention to overall calorie intake and protein at 0.8 g/kg. About 30-60 min before SL, I'll eat a meal that hits all the macros. Usually a bagel&egg sandwich, sometimes some meat added. Leftover pasta/meat or a small sandwich if I don't want to cook. I try for veggies with lunch/dinner.
    I workout in the morning, and only eat something for SL. Otherwise I prefer to wait for lunch...intermittent fasting is the new-fangled name, but I've been this way since I was a kid.
  • Gizmo20783
    Gizmo20783 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd keep my caloric goals the same every day despite whether or not I'm training. As long as you're in a deficit it'll just be a larger one on training days and smaller on off days. I'm speaking from my own experience FYI.
  • MrsOwens2002
    MrsOwens2002 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »
    I believe recommended protein is around 0.8-1 g/KG...not pounds (So 78-97g). I've seen 0.8-1 g/lb of Lean Mass.
    Well, that makes all of the difference in the world! I was told between 0.8g - 1g per pound and I was overwhelmed and unable to attain that. By per kilo - that I can manage.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

The first is the RDA (minimum acceptable for nutrition), but that's distinct from the question of what amount will be beneficial in certain circumstances or for certain goals like increasing muscle mass (not applicable here) or maintaining muscle mass while exercising and eating at a deficit. For this latter goal higher amounts (like .8-1 g/lb of LBM) are helpful. I try to keep mine up around this level because not losing muscle mass more than necessary is important to me.
  • CasperNaegle
    edited October 2015
    Options
    http://www.researchgate.net/publication/257350851_A_Systematic_Review_of_Dietary_Protein_During_Caloric_Restriction_in_Resistance_Trained_Lean_Athletes_A_Case_for_Higher_Intakes

“Protein needs for energy-restricted resistance-trained athletes are likely 2.3-3.1g/kg of FFM [1 – 1.4 grams per pound of fat free mass] scaled upwards with severity of caloric restriction and leanness.”

I don't think there is an exact right amount for anyone. I keep mine at 1.2 grams per pound and usually come in under a bit. I think in a calorie deficit and trying not to lose muscle and even gain some higher protein helps get you there.
  • CasperNaegle
    Options

Do you have any science to back up that this is dangerous?
  • seanmmcafee
    seanmmcafee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I thought it was 1gram per pound of lean body mass. A 5'5" female is only going to have between 110 and 130 lbs of lean body mass. So getting around 120 grams of protein a day would be fine.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I thought it was 1gram per pound of lean body mass. A 5'5" female is only going to have between 110 and 130 lbs of lean body mass. So getting around 120 grams of protein a day would be fine.

That's a high LBM for a woman who's not a bodybuilder with very low body fat. It seems more likely for an overweight person.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    30% protein is plenty... Personally I prelog my meals then pick snacks that will help my macros.. do nuts if I need fat, Greek yogurt if I need protein, apple if I need fiber etc.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I believe recommended protein is around 0.8-1 g/KG...not pounds (So 78-97g).
    The World Health Organization agrees with you and says 0.83g/KG is the safe requirement for the average adult.
    http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/43411/1/WHO_TRS_935_eng.pdf
    They define the term safe intake as: "the level of intake that issufficient for 97.5% of the
    population (0.83 g protein/kg per day)
    . Supplying this level to an individual will ensure an
    acceptably low level of risk (2.5%) that their needs will not be met, and conversely
    a high degree of probability that they will receive more than their requirement."

And the Olympic Committee's recommendations for olympic athletes is 1.2-1.6g/KG
    http://www.olympic.org/documents/reports/en/en_report_833.pdf

So taking the midpoint between what's good for 97.5% of mankind and what's good for elite athletes, then we should be set with 1g/KG. So for me at 125 lbs, that's 57g.

I think what happened is that Americans would rather not be bothered to convert Kgs to Lbs and then when you combine that with the 'more is more' mentality, you end up with the widespread recs in g/lb instead of g/Kg, which means it's twice as much as you actually need. And of course people need to make money from protein supplements, so they just tell folks their muscles will fall off if they don't buy them. Then folks believe them and end up on multiple mfp threads having trouble hitting their protein.
  • revolucia78
    Options
    I believe recommended protein is around 0.8-1 g/KG...not pounds (So 78-97g).
    The World Health Organization agrees with you and says 0.83g/KG is the safe requirement for the average adult.
    http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/43411/1/WHO_TRS_935_eng.pdf
    They define the term safe intake as: "the level of intake that issufficient for 97.5% of the
    population (0.83 g protein/kg per day)
    . Supplying this level to an individual will ensure an
    acceptably low level of risk (2.5%) that their needs will not be met, and conversely
    a high degree of probability that they will receive more than their requirement."

And the Olympic Committee's recommendations for olympic athletes is 1.2-1.6g/KG
    http://www.olympic.org/documents/reports/en/en_report_833.pdf

So taking the midpoint between what's good for 97.5% of mankind and what's good for elite athletes, then we should be set with 1g/KG.

I think what happened is that Americans would rather not be bothered to convert Kgs to Lbs and then when you combine that with the 'more is more' mentality, you end up with the widespread recs in g/lb instead of g/Kg, which means it's twice as much as you actually need. And of course people need to make money from protein supplements, so they just tell folks their muscles will fall off if they don't buy them. Then folks believe them and end up on multiple mfp threads having trouble hitting their protein.

Thank you to you both - these are the same recommendations I found too, as I talked about earlier in the replies. I will readjust based on these recommendations! Thanks again :)