Concerned about strength training/lifting

Options
I asked this in the general weight loss section but I probably should have put it here, so any advice is welcome!
I've been on MFP for a while (812 day streak!) and have lost about 15kg over the last couple of years, with some up and some downs. I'm a work in progress!
I feel like I should do some strength training/lifting to help lose fat rather than muscle, and to help with overall body shape.
My concern is I cycle to work every day (12k each way) and I run 2 or 3 times a week (a 5k run on 1 or 2 lunchtimes, and I'm up to about 10k on a weekend). I'm trying to up my running because I'd like to run a half marathon next year if I can.
So when I get home from work my legs are tired from riding home (and sometimes running) and the thought of doing squats....!! But maybe I should.
Would doing something non 'leggy' still be beneficial? Like bench press? Or do I need to do things like squats despite having tired legs from riding home (if I did lift it would have to be when I get home from work as I start work early so my only time would be after riding home from work).
I've done some Stronglifts 5x5 before, but not for a while. My legs are aching just thinking about doing squats after riding/running!
Any advice gratefully received!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take much to maintain leg strength - one heavy set of squats, deadlifts, and lunges twice a week, for example. Just bike a little slower to the gym and you'll be fine. :+1:

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about starting to lift then you will need to dedicate some time to developing your muscles so they are used to squats. Once the DOMS are not as bad then you can run the day after. You will just need to train your body to get used to it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes doing something "non-leggy" would still be beneficial. :)

I hardly do any leg strength work in the summer, partly due to injuries but mainly as I'm either recovering from cycling or saving my legs for a cycle.
    (Don't actually do a lot of leg strength work in the winter either as I can't squat or deadlift.)

My routine is still based around compound lifts but mostly tends to be a mixture of upper body push/pull and core work.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I'm doing all you're talking about although my bike to work isn't quite as far (3.6 miles each way). And if I'm really sore/tired I'll just drive in. But I try to bike a minimum of three days a week. Then I lift MWF and run TRS. My Tues/Thurs runs are usually between 2-4 miles and then a longer run on the weekend of 6+ depending on how I'm feeling. Rest on Sunday.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I cycle around 80 miles per week most weeks (more if I'm training) and I usually try to get in a 5K run at least once per week to cross train. I have a squat (variations) day in the gym and a dead-lift day in the gym...given my cycling schedule I don't do a ton of leg work and the work I do is with moderate weight for 8-10 reps rather than low reps at a high % of my 1RM. I learned very early on that doing a lot of cycling and/or running and trying to do a traditional strength (heavy) program really isn't a good mix...granted I'm getting oldish at 41.

Sometimes if my legs are really feeling it, I'll just do some lunges or step-ups with dumbbells and some single leg RDLs with a kettle bell to keep the work load light but still get in some work.

There are a variety of ways to go about this really...but in my experience, a lot of people have issues trying to do a "heavy" program and then doing a bunch of stuff on top of that...just no recovery. In my experience, when you're doing a lot of other fitness stuff, a higher rep range with more moderate weight just works better.

I would also add that when I'm doing a lot of cycling, I pretty much only lift 2x weekly...in the winter when I spend far less time on my bike, I usually up that to 3x weekly and I do more volume in general.
  • scubaemma
    scubaemma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for your replies guys, it's actually really helpful.
    I think I'll start with some compound lifts twice a week (not too heavy), and if I struggle with squats I'll concentrate more on upper body/push/pull/core work. But hopefully I'll manage a full range of compound lifts twice a week, and continue to bike and run.
    Thank you :smile:
  • redleg0530
    redleg0530 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are newer or even consider yourself a veteran lifter I high recommend a book called bigger leaner stronger by Mike Matthews it's full of great info and has changed the weigh I workout and I'm been a active duty soldier for ten years
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Way too much cardio! Back it off, and pump iron.