How effective is Yoga for weight loss?

Options
Has anyone had any good results with yoga for weightloss? I'm just skeptical to try it out I guess. I'm not sure the best approach for creating a good workout plan. I'm in school for cosmetology and need to strengthen my upper body and core. I have access to a gym, and also workout dvds. I don't like joining classes as I'm very shy in gym/class settings because I try to hide my weight and I hate sweating in front of people lol I know it sounds silly but the thought of it gives me slight anxiety. I am looking for help with ideas to workout and wouldn't mind finding someone to help me stay on track!! ♡ Please add me, and drop a comment below or send a message if you would like :)

Replies

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Often, one doesn't have to exercise to lose weight. When I first started my journey, I ate about 1400 cals and did not exercise and still lost weight.

However if you want to workout, yoga can help you burn calories. But you will need to do a power yoga or a vinyasa flow class. The other styles burn a lot less. Either way, the fact that you are moving and not just sitting on the couch will help you be active and get healthy and ultimately will help in your long term weight loss. I recommend combining yoga with some other forms of cardio to ensure you are getting the best results on your weight loss and fitness journey.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yoga is not really for weight loss. It's stretching. It's good...but you still need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. I can't say that one single form of exercise gave me weight loss results. It's all diet.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Yoga is not really for weight loss. It's stretching. It's good...but you still need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. I can't say that one single form of exercise gave me weight loss results. It's all diet.

What she said.
  • rnelsonxo
    rnelsonxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks♡
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yoga is good for strengthening your core which is a good foundation for other exercises. I find yoga as pleasurable as a good massage.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-13930/6-yoga-tips-for-anyone-with-a-bigger-body.html
  • rnelsonxo
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    Often, one doesn't have to exercise to lose weight. When I first started my journey, I ate about 1400 cals and did not exercise and still lost weight.

However if you want to workout, yoga can help you burn calories. But you will need to do a power yoga or a vinyasa flow class. The other styles burn a lot less. Either way, the fact that you are moving and not just sitting on the couch will help you be active and get healthy and ultimately will help in your long term weight loss. I recommend combining yoga with some other forms of cardio to ensure you are getting the best results on your weight loss and fitness journey.

Alright good to know, I will check into both of those options. Thanks!!
  • arditarose
    Options
    But try if you want to! It's nice. Other forms of exercise do burn more calories, which can help you along with your deficit a little more than yoga. Admittedly, when I was doing yoga, before I understood CICO, I did feel kind of sexy. I didn't lose weight though.
  • rnelsonxo
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Yoga is good for strengthening your core which is a good foundation for other exercises. I find yoga as pleasurable as a good massage.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-13930/6-yoga-tips-for-anyone-with-a-bigger-body.html

Yeah, I heard it was good for the core too!! A lot of other cosmetologist I am around say they use it to relieve stiff muscles. I wasn't sure if it helped with weight loss too, but it seems like it would be good to incorporate it with other workouts and eating better which is the harder part for me since I'm always on the go and make bad decisions based on hunger :/
  • rnelsonxo
    Options
    But try if you want to! It's nice. Other forms of exercise do burn more calories, which can help you along with your deficit a little more than yoga. Admittedly, when I was doing yoga, before I understood CICO, I did feel kind of sexy. I didn't lose weight though.

What is CICO!? I wanna feel sexyyy lol I need to understand nutrition better :/ I actually love working out, I just never know where to start then get discouraged.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Cico is calories in calories out. To lose weight, you have to have fewer calories in than out. That means eat fewer calories than you use in a day so your body uses your body fat for energy
  • rnelsonxo
    Options
    Ooohhhhh thanks!! I will do that, I had good results when I used this app before to keep me accountable. I want to step it up this time around so good to know. I wasn't familiar with the acronym
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You helps with body - mind awareness, which is a big part of weight loss.
  • arditarose
    Options
    rnelsonxo wrote: »

What is CICO!? I wanna feel sexyyy lol I need to understand nutrition better :/ I actually love working out, I just never know where to start then get discouraged.

Start with food then. Log everything you eat. Then try to become more active, just pick something you like and say you are going to do it X amount of times per week, then maybe you start doing it more, or find other activities. I should talk...I only lift ha.
  • rnelsonxo
    Options
    I want to lift but I'm worried about form. I don't know the proper way and it's hard to tell sometimes by youtube videos. Maybe I will see if I can ask a trainor at the gym.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I want to lift but I'm worried about form. I don't know the proper way and it's hard to tell sometimes by youtube videos. Maybe I will see if I can ask a trainor at the gym.

You can learn the basics of barbell training if you work with a trainer once a week for two months. Cost a bit of money, but very worth it. And videos are extremely helpful. I used to watch them over and over again before I'd go in to try a new lift. Bodybuilding.com has a video for every lift.
  • rnelsonxo
    Options
    Okay, I will check into that. I do want to build muscle and lean out. I need to rebuild muscle and do strength training, I've noticed in the cosmetology field it's vital to have a strong back, arms, and core. I was hoping yoga could help me with that too. I defiantly will go on bodybuilding.com tho (:
    Thanks!
  • rnelsonxo
    Options

You can learn the basics of barbell training if you work with a trainer once a week for two months. Cost a bit of money, but very worth it. And videos are extremely helpful. I used to watch them over and over again before I'd go in to try a new lift. Bodybuilding.com has a video for every lift.

Oh btw I tried to add you but not sure if it worked!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

This.

• rnelsonxo
    Options
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It probably wont hurt your healthy lifestyle but its not going to burn enough to make a difference for wieght loss. But it can help your strength and flexibility so its a good thing! I love yoga :)