Fibromyalgia

Options
I'm 25 years old and about a month ago, found out I have fibromyalgia. I've been off work since April 2015 and I'm beginning to think my current job is making it worse on me. Those that have fibro, or know someone who does, what jobs do you guys have? And secondly, what does your diet and exercise consist of? I am not on meds as my doc wants me to try to eat healthy and workout first, but I can't seem to find the energy :(

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Maybe start with 20 min of exercise --- like slow walking or yoga. Instead of thinking of foods to give up, first think of foods you want to add to your day, like maybe more fresh or frozen fruits and veggies.
  • lynn557
    lynn557 Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Keep moving, do something you enjoy that will make it easier. I now have a young dog that needs walks. There is a group on here - Living Healthy with Fibromyalgia - good luck and try and stay positive, that helps to.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    lynn557 wrote: »
    Keep moving, do something you enjoy that will make it easier. I now have a young dog that needs walks. There is a group on here - Living Healthy with Fibromyalgia - good luck and try and stay positive, that helps to.

Thank you I'll look into that group!!
  • keepitcroosh
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Maybe start with 20 min of exercise --- like slow walking or yoga. Instead of thinking of foods to give up, first think of foods you want to add to your day, like maybe more fresh or frozen fruits and veggies.

Yeah I think that's what I've done wrong. I went for a long walk, ended up being sore for over a week and extremely 'sluggish'. Being practically bed ridden I've gained all the weight I had previously lost ( over 30lbs). I guess you could say I'm impatient at this point haha. I just want to be better!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My mom has fibro and she swears by exercise. She says that if she goes without at least 20 minutes of daily exercise her fibro is much worse. She is also trying to eliminate dairy since someone told her it could be causing inflamation. She also self medicates daily with a nice sized wine at dinner.
  • Watchinherbackthistime
    Watchinherbackthistime Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My sister has fibro and unfortunately hers has gotten so bad she now can't work but she gets by day to day doing what she can for her children and if they do something strenuous one day she pays for it the next but keep with the exercise as my sister says ' it can't take you completely until you allow it to '
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep...clean up the diet. Low carb - read everything you can.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My Fibro' comes by way of a secondary symptom from having RSD and Lupus, I guess it is just all part and parcel of a pretty crappy package.

I have had the RSD/Fibro' since 1997 from the age of 35 and have been unable to work since then so I cannot help in that area of your question.

Regarding exercise prior to the Lupus diagnosis 2013 - walking was my mainstay for exercise. A LOT of walking to which I slowly built up from say 20 mins at the beginning. Getting that in was invaluable to help with the pain and also combat some of the fatigue. I also attended a pool. I tried higher impact cardio via bought disks but they didn't work for me and just made things worse.

Now with the Lupus and the UV issues that floor me and the extra mahoosive amounts of fatigue I now get, I have to be content with indoor pursuits such as Yoga, stretching, learning Tai Chi (of which I am embarrassingly unco' doing), resistance band work and weights. I also treat myself to regular massages which I have found to be very helpful.

This very limited physical activity does help.....but often though I am just too ill to do anything other than drag my sore sorry backside from bed to loo, to lounge and then back to bed.....This was and still is endlessly frustrating for me and causes me to feel quite depressed and angry at times. So to combat these natural feelings I have turned to Meditation and mindfulness audio downloads and CD's these have really been helpful, so they may help you too.

Diet wise - Wow where to start.....I seem to have developed so many intolerances and problems with many foods since I have gotten sick. My mainstays are making sure I meet my calorie goals as not feeling like eating is an issue for me. I avoid fast foods, limit dairy, have lactose free milk in coffee and don't eat gluten. All give me gastric issues and make my pain a lot worse.....so it's fresh veg., meat, homemade greek yoghurt and fruit.....mostly.

Sometimes I'll lash out and get totally pissed off about having such a limit on the "fun" stuff.....but when I do it is a crap shoot as to how it will effect me and the pain and fatigue levels but sometimes taking that risk is worth feeling like you are back in mainstream life. I guess each person would have to examine their own symptoms and judge from that point on.

Wishing you all the best.
  • vrthomas74
    vrthomas74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had fibromyalgia for 5 years (but had symptoms 5 years before that). It's wonderful that you're reaching out for guidance, I didn't do that & it was a mistake.

Work: I've been out of work for 2 years because fibro & other illnesses. I am currently looking for a position where I can sit to do work. I'm also going to work part time, then possibly move up to full time. I previously had jobs where I was on my feet, lifting things, opening boxes, cleaning, & it wrecked me.

Exercise: easy does it! I would start by walking 20 minutes at a comfortable pace, increase 10-20% per week, if no unusual pain. Weights & strengthening were harder for me because I would do too much too fast. So I say, start with a low weight & don't try to do your upper body one day & lower body the next. Do what feels right for you. Try arms one day, shoulders the next, etc. It's really an experiment of what your body will tolerate, only you can determine that, unfortunately.

Diet: I find that processed food that has a ton of preservatives & food coloring make my fibro worse. Fast food is something I no longer eat, & I'm better for it. The crap in the food gave me rashes, upset GI system, & increase in pain. I read every label & if,something contains a word ending in 'ate', I investigate. Nitrates, phosphates, sorbates, all seem to cause a reaction. MSG (mono sodium glutamate) is also a big no no!
    I eat as cleanly as possible, fish, poultry, vegetables, & fruits, Greek yogurt, is what I eat the most. If I'm going to splurge, I will buy a high quality food & read the label to see if it has ingredients I avoid.

Energy: this is a hard one. Make sure you are drinking enough water. Dehydration causes fatigue so drink, drink, drink. I always have a container of water next to me. I have blood levels done every 6 months to assure that I am not deficient in any one area. I do take a complex B vitamin & it helps. Keep moving. Even if you have to walk around the inside of your house. Others have mentioned DVDs or other exercises, & I think those are great when it's hard to get out of the house.

There are lots of great books & resources out there. I hope this has been helpful & please message me if I can help you.
    Gentle Hugs,
    Vicki
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My pool has a gentle activity water exercise class specifically designed for fibro patients. You might want to look in to something like that. Others I know walk in the warm pool to get exercise.
  • crystalrae73
    crystalrae73 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hello
  • crystalrae73
    crystalrae73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't have Fibro. But I do have Rhematiod Arthritis. And I'm having problems with finding energy for exercise also. I've been trying to walk. But it causes a lot of pain. It's really hard to lose weight when you can't exercise. I've tried doing a gluten free diet. It helped with my energy levels. But it's so restricted. I have a hard time staying on track. But it does help. Now if I can find an exercise that doesn't cause pain.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I don't have Fibro. But I do have Rhematiod Arthritis. And I'm having problems with finding energy for exercise also. I've been trying to walk. But it causes a lot of pain. It's really hard to lose weight when you can't exercise. I've tried doing a gluten free diet. It helped with my energy levels. But it's so restricted. I have a hard time staying on track. But it does help. Now if I can find an exercise that doesn't cause pain.

Try something in the pool. The buoyancy of the water and the warm temperature (assuming you find a pool designed for exercise) can help minimize the pain.
  • tashspring68
    tashspring68 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the fibro monster too. I've just come out of the worst flare up of my life - gained 20lbs and was a physical mess.

I found a treatment plan that worked for me - strong NSAIDs taken at the first sign of a flare up for a minimum of 1 week, max 2, along with Nexium to protect my stomach. I am now back to cycling around 15 miles per day and hope to double that soon.

The key to kicking fibro's *kitten* is to get the pain down to a level where you can exercise and the building up your fitness, getting adequate rest and managing your stress. Pain management is something you'll have to work out with your Dr. For me, it's NSAIDs. For others it's neurotin or Lyrica.

But you must, must, must keep physically active - it's a key part of keeping fibro under control. It's just a matter of getting yourself back to a place where you can move.

As I said, I bicycle. With a good bike, adjusted correctly and a good seat that doesn't put too much pressure on my pelvic area, I can really push myself. I also find that with good shoes (Adidas Boost for me) that cushion my feet, I can walk and run on a treadmill, which seems to be low impact for me. Swimming may work for you too.

If something hurts, I try it another time, if it hurts again too much, I don't bother with it again. I've learned to respect my body and what it tells me I can't do.

I am self employed, so I can cut myself slack when I need to. My job is physically demanding - I have to be firm with myself on what I can do and what I can't do. I can work hard. I can not be on my feet all day or I will have a flare up.

I have another friend with fibro and her job is mostly a desk job. She is horribly ill right now with a flare up, purely because of her stress levels.

Knowing when to stop, keep stress to a minimum and doing whatever exercise you can do is really important.

Fibro is horrible. It really sucks. But you can have fibro and keep fit. I promise.
  • natashas0820
    natashas0820 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 32 and also have fibromyalgia and have to take care of a toddler and an infant. So I totally understand the frustration of trying to find what I can and can't do in order to not flare myself up. I find that pool therapy, whether just walking in the pool or light swimming and exercise really helps. Also light massage therapy helps. Just touch massage, not any deep tissue. As for work, I was mainly a CNA FOR 14 years until I got hurt last year, which was horrible on the body with fibro and I struggled. The job that effected me the least was office work. Customer service, etc. Although sometimes stiffening, just try to change positions often and move around and stretch when you can. Also it is harder to focus on this type of job when the foggy brain kicks in or you just plain are worn out. But every job is kind of going to have it's battles. It's just a matter of how it effects you and your preference, and also learning to work your way around those obstacles and challenges. Right now I'm looking to go back to work as my baby is going on 8 months old. And I'll be looking for office work. Good luck! Hope you find your balance.
  • keepitcroosh
    edited October 2015
    Options

I have other health issues as well. I understand your frustration! I actually get very depressed sometimes because I just want to feel better, ya know? I don't think I hit my calorie intake as I tend to sleep till around 2pm every day. If I wake any earlier (like right now haha) , I feel absolutely nauseous. I'm hoping this Chai tea helps settle my stomach . How do you find the energy to do yoga, tai chi, etc? I can't seem to even start as I always feel sluggish/lethargic. I do really want to get into Yoga to begin with. How did you start?
    vrthomas74 wrote: »
    I've had fibromyalgia for 5 years (but had symptoms 5 years before that). It's wonderful that you're reaching out for guidance, I didn't do that & it was a mistake.

Work: I've been out of work for 2 years because fibro & other illnesses. I am currently looking for a position where I can sit to do work. I'm also going to work part time, then possibly move up to full time. I previously had jobs where I was on my feet, lifting things, opening boxes, cleaning, & it wrecked me.

Exercise: easy does it! I would start by walking 20 minutes at a comfortable pace, increase 10-20% per week, if no unusual pain. Weights & strengthening were harder for me because I would do too much too fast. So I say, start with a low weight & don't try to do your upper body one day & lower body the next. Do what feels right for you. Try arms one day, shoulders the next, etc. It's really an experiment of what your body will tolerate, only you can determine that, unfortunately.

Diet: I find that processed food that has a ton of preservatives & food coloring make my fibro worse. Fast food is something I no longer eat, & I'm better for it. The crap in the food gave me rashes, upset GI system, & increase in pain. I read every label & if,something contains a word ending in 'ate', I investigate. Nitrates, phosphates, sorbates, all seem to cause a reaction. MSG (mono sodium glutamate) is also a big no no!
    I eat as cleanly as possible, fish, poultry, vegetables, & fruits, Greek yogurt, is what I eat the most. If I'm going to splurge, I will buy a high quality food & read the label to see if it has ingredients I avoid.

Energy: this is a hard one. Make sure you are drinking enough water. Dehydration causes fatigue so drink, drink, drink. I always have a container of water next to me. I have blood levels done every 6 months to assure that I am not deficient in any one area. I do take a complex B vitamin & it helps. Keep moving. Even if you have to walk around the inside of your house. Others have mentioned DVDs or other exercises, & I think those are great when it's hard to get out of the house.

There are lots of great books & resources out there. I hope this has been helpful & please message me if I can help you.
    Gentle Hugs,
    Vicki

Thanks Vicki. I've been having a rough time trying to search information on fibro. Every site I've turned to, it seems that everyone else is looking for answers. So this is great! My doctor didn't really tell me anything, and I live 6 hours away from him which doesn't help. What is a complex B Vitamin for? I've started taking Magnesium and it seems to be giving me a boost of energy! It actually have a lot of great benefits. Relieves muscle aches/spasms, increases energy, regulates metabolism of carbs, helps with stress/anxiety, etc. I actually love eating clean. It is a bit harder now that I live with my boyfriend, and I'm the cook. With no energy or just in pain , we end up getting takeout. I'm actually so sick of burgers and fries. I need to create a plan and prep meals in advance.
  • keepitcroosh
    Options
    If anyone would want to talk about this with me , you can message me. I'm wondering those that are not working , are you getting some sort of paycheque ( like from the government) to help you with fibro? I'm seeing a lot of people not working which scares me because I don't have savings, etc. And I am currently not working but on long term disability. If this doesn't get better I'll have to quit. Just have no idea if there is outside help.
  • keepitcroosh
    Options

My boss has that. It was so bad when I first started working with her that she had to use a cane to walk and she wasn't even at 40 at the time. She goes to a rehab facility and does all kinds of exercises there a fewtimes a week. They got her on the right track and she walks perfectly fine now without a cane! The pain I'd now under control too.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Reduce your processed sugar intake and grains that may help. I eat fruit veggies meat no white flour and processed sugar and have cut my fibromyalgia pain in half have had the disease for over 35 years can not stop working as I have the health insurance. (need the insurance for my kids) Can't tolerate the meds. Start with walking get therapy in a heated pool. Never give up I work in customer relations and stand 8 hours a day. Just focus on anything but the pain.