Are you going to keep your fat clothes?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    I have clothes in a range of sizes from when I was my current weight a few years ago, all the way up to when I reached my heaviest weight a few months ago.

I plan to keep them all. For now. At least till we move again.

However ...

I have been insanely busy for the last 3 months with a full-time job and course I'm taking, and I haven't had the opportunity to sort through all my clothes to determine what fits and what doesn't. I've also lost 9 more kg in those 3 months, so it's kind of a moving target anyway.

3 months ago, I brought all my clothing bins out of storage, and started to dig some of them out, and sort them. Then the busy-ness hit and for the last 3 months, my dressing room, office, and living room have been a sea of clothes. Getting dressed in the morning is a maddening experience of thinking I'll wear 'this and that', only to discover that 'this and that' are way too big for me, and I'm rummaging through piles of clothing, and baskets and bins trying to find something that fits.

The busy-ness ends this weekend, and I am so looking forward to packing away my big clothes, and my winter clothes, and seeing what I've actually got in the way of smaller summerwear!
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I just don't have the space to store clothes that don't fit.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I've kept my largest pair of jeans, but only so when I reach my goal weight I can take a comparison picture, then I'll get rid of them. A picture should suffice as a memento.

I've also kept my cashmere sweaters that I can't bring myself to get rid of. They're so soft and pretty and warm. They're too big and sloppy now to wear out of the house, and will probably soon be too big to wear around the house as well. I've thought about shrinking them, but shrunken wool is not very nice so probably best to pass these sweaters on to someone else...one day. heh.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I have clothes in a range of sizes from when I was my current weight a few years ago, all the way up to when I reached my heaviest weight a few months ago.

I plan to keep them all. For now. At least till we move again.

However ...

I have been insanely busy for the last 3 months with a full-time job and course I'm taking, and I haven't had the opportunity to sort through all my clothes to determine what fits and what doesn't. I've also lost 9 more kg in those 3 months, so it's kind of a moving target anyway.

3 months ago, I brought all my clothing bins out of storage, and started to dig some of them out, and sort them. Then the busy-ness hit and for the last 3 months, my dressing room, office, and living room have been a sea of clothes. Getting dressed in the morning is a maddening experience of thinking I'll wear 'this and that', only to discover that 'this and that' are way too big for me, and I'm rummaging through piles of clothing, and baskets and bins trying to find something that fits.

The busy-ness ends this weekend, and I am so looking forward to packing away my big clothes, and my winter clothes, and seeing what I've actually got in the way of smaller summerwear!

Perhaps I should add that at my largest I was an Australian 16, with one or two pieces in a more fitted 18. So kind of borderline 16/18 (that's apparently a US 12/14).

Right now, I'm nearing my goal and I'm an Australian 14, with one or two pieces in a looser 12. So kind of borderline 12/14 (that's apparently a US 8/10).

Despite the fact that I've lost 24 kg, I've only lost 1-2 sizes.

Things like most of my sweaters fit me when I was heavier, and still fit me now.

• KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've turned over my closet several times... and donated my clothes to Goodwill, etc. Granted, I also buy a lot of nice clothes from thrift stores.
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    At first I thought no way, but now I think I'll keep them for when I'm pregnant!
  • back2twentyfive
    back2twentyfive Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I gave all of my clothes that were too big away--I'm never going back there. I refuse to buy clothes that are a size up. That's a big incentive not to let any small weight gain keep creeping up.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I gave everything away, apart from one pair of pants in (Aus) size 26 and one 3XL cardigan that now comes down to my knees. I even recently gave away most of my size 12s which I thought would fit me at goal, but nope. Too big. I'm usually an 8 or 10 now and 95% of my clothes are this size.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to chime in here - because this is really relevant right now.

Last night, I confided in my boyfriend about being sad. I have lost weight and every time I open my wardrobe, I am confronted with all my old clothes that are now too big for me. Whenever he asks if I want to get dressed up and go out for the night, I always decline feigning tiredness or a headache when in reality, it's because I have nothing to wear anymore. All my 'going out' dresses are now two sizes too big for me and I just don't have any confidence in them. Why haven't I bought new clothes? Because my mind was still insisting that these clothes fit.

I have been walking around at 124 lbs but with my 157lb mind-set. Throwing out my 'bigger clothes' wasn't an option because in my head, I was still that size. So after a long chat with my boyfriend last night - we have planned a "Goodbye Old Zoe, Hello new Zoe" clear out this evening.

I am going to donate all of my larger clothes to charity and invest in an entirely new wardrobe (with my boyfriends help of course hehe!). I have still been wearing my old Bra's and underwear - so literally everything needs to be re-bought. I need to accept that this is my body now. I need to start familiarising myself with my new curves and own them 100%. This is not only a physical clear out, I believe it's mental too. Time to accept the new me and wish my old me farewell.

I will, however - keep one pair of jeans at the back of my wardrobe. For me, this little reminder of how far I've come is important.
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 16 to 8-10 I donated all my size 16s after about 6 months of maintenance & all my 14s the next year I'm keeping my 12s.
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've got a long journey ahead, but I can't wait to get rid of the bigger clothes. I'm hoping that it'll keep me in check!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Well unless you have a lot of money, i think its not a bad idea to keep your fat clothes for a while. I've just thrown mine out after quite a long time - I've been in maintenance since about October 2014, so wow that's a year. I am comfortable with this. I think its a good idea to keep them until you feel your new way of being, eating, staying slim is actually a habit and you've worked through all the hurdles. There will be hurdles so you better be able to deal with them. But do what you want to do in the end. Its your life. I've only just thrown mine out now because i've decided that if i get fat again, i want to buy new clothes anyway. That said, i started my diet in january 2014 with the idea that i would lose this fat and never get fat again and i'm determined to live up to that.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Tip for people ditching clothes. Once you're in maintenance, pick something without any elastic or lycra (like a tailored suit pants or wool pencil skirt) that fits flatteringly (not TOO tight, but maybe snug after you've eaten) and wear it every couple weeks. If you ever put that on and it doesn't fit, then you know it's time to tighten back up the logging so you won't need those larger sized clothes.

That's a great tip.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I've been donating clothes once they are ridiculously big on me. Pants usually when they are 2 sizes and I have "saggy butt syndrome" when I put them on. Tops are a little more flexible, but I've gotten rid of all of my XL's and a many of my L's. I still have some larges that still look decent on me.

I've been lucky in that my sister gave me a bunch of clothes when I first started loosing that I lost my way into. But now those clothes are too big. I've been slowly replacing stuff with clothes from Goodwill, clearance racks, and sales/coupons. Most of my current wardrobe I found at Goodwill. You can find some really great quality stuff there on the cheap if you find the right location and are patient with searching through the racks. The Goodwill in the small town where I work is terrible, but the one in the city where I live has mostly name brand clothing. Bigger cities just have more volume, so you can get better options.

I have kept one pair of jeans from before. Like others have mentioned, I want to be able to look back and see how far I've come.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Nope. I give away/donate as soon as they are unwearable or unflattering. I have some things from when I was slimmer that I kept in the hopes of fitting back into them, though.

I'm not going back to being heavy. Half my life is over and I'm not going to spend this last half lamenting over my size/health/lack of confidence.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I originally did a giant closet purge and got rid of everything with an XL tag on it except for the items I couldn't bear to part with. I even purged the skinny clothes that I'd been holding onto for that day I could fit into them again because they were just old, out of style, cheap fabric, etc.

Because I was always in the mindset that my heavy weight was just temporary, I never spent much money on my clothes. I was more than fine with donating it all away. I just did another purge of clothing a couple of weeks ago, including all of the items I couldn't bear to part with the first time around and most of my L's.

I've been buying some nicer things now from consignment stores, since I'll probably never be smaller than a medium. And hopefully never larger ever again.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely never going back to being fat again so there is no reason to keep them. I have found a friend here on MFP who I will be giving my clothes to. She can use them on her way down as well and then hopefully pass them on to another person in need.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I've always kept one pair of pants. Every now and then I would put them on for a minute just to remind myself of how far I had come.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    No way. I need room in my closet.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping mine this time around. In 2012/2013, I lost 54 pounds, and gave all the larger sizes away. I did ok in maintenance for a while, but did gain the weight back. I don't want to re-gain. But I will keep them this time.